Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Recommended sealants

I know this is an age old question but ...

I'm about to do some maintenance work checking and repairing the seals on my 2017 Minnie Winne 31K.

I have seen this diagram. https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000208696.pdf

I'm specifically interested in the perimeter of the roof where the diagram says "Sealant B & C" and on the sides around windows and other things where it says "Sealant C or E".

It seems like getting a stock of sealant C would be useful. That's Winnebago part number 185987-03-CHT. I've found several forum posts etc saying that this is basically the same as Manus Bond 75 AM. Can anyone confirm, deny or add any other recommendation to that?

I contacted Winnebago but they, probably unsurprisingly, couldn't recommend anything other than their part numbers and suggested i contact a dealer to ask what they use.

I'm a little unsure of the significance of the roof perimeter saying B & C implying both but the sides saying C or E implying either.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I know this is an age old question but ...

I'm about to do some maintenance work checking and repairing the seals on my 2017 Minnie Winne 31K.

I have seen this diagram. https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000208696.pdf

I'm specifically interested in the perimeter of the roof where the diagram says "Sealant B & C" and on the sides around windows and other things where it says "Sealant C or E".

It seems like getting a stock of sealant C would be useful. That's Winnebago part number 185987-03-CHT. I've found several forum posts etc saying that this is basically the same as Manus Bond 75 AM. Can anyone confirm, deny or add any other recommendation to that?

I contacted Winnebago but they, probably unsurprisingly, couldn't recommend anything other than their part numbers and suggested i contact a dealer to ask what they use.

I'm a little unsure of the significance of the roof perimeter saying B & C implying both but the sides saying C or E implying either.
Just a note about Winnebago. Keep in mind that they are virtually the only manufacture that uses silicone base sealants. I personally like Geocell. It was recommended to me by an RV shop I use a lot as an insurance adjuster and I trust them completely. Geocell has a number of different products and they will match up the Winnebago part numbers.

On a side note, when I had Winnebago Factory Service center do some work the sealant they used had a Winnebago part number sticker over the manufactures sticker on the sealant tube.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:04 AM   #3

Rain Gutters ProFlex
Roof Seams/Caps NewFlex 311
Roof Penetrations NewFlex 311
Do Not use Dicor
Old 12-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #4

Thanks. I've used Nuflex 311 on the roof around cable openings etc. I think that corresponds to Winnebago's sealant B, 131264-03-CHT, on that diagram.

It's a confusing subject for a newbie with I guess no definitive right but plenty of wrong answers.

I'm aware of "Don't use Dicor". I think some people throw the word "Dicor" around almost like how "Kleenex" is used as a generic word for tissue.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:02 AM   #5

Might look at Eternabond tape. Various widths available.
Excellent for sealing roof seams.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Might look at Eternabond tape. Various widths available.
Excellent for sealing roof seams.
Good for keeping water out, not good for attaching the roof to the side rails. Do what winnebago recommends.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #7

I’m in need of a roof vent repair. One of the original questions in this thread was regarding Manus Bond 75 AM. This product is readily available in my area. Is this an approved or acceptable product for Winnebago roofs?

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As an ex-sailor, I used 3M5200 Marine Adhesive/Sealant around several roof elements where a lesser adhesives had failed me. It is without a doubt the strongest sealant that I have seen. It is definitely PERMANENT and you need to fully realize that. It fully cures an a couple of days. Once you have used it, you will become a fan. Available in Marine stores and on line.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
As an ex-sailor, I used 3M5200 Marine Adhesive/Sealant around several roof elements where a lesser adhesives had failed me. It is without a doubt the strongest sealant that I have seen. It is definitely PERMANENT and you need to fully realize that. It fully cures an a couple of days. Once you have used it, you will become a fan. Available in Marine stores and on line.
It is obviously not approved by Winnebago due to the fact that it is permanent.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:21 AM   #10

Tetranz,
In lieu of starting a similar thread...I will piggyback on this one.

Let me join in on this one...since I need to do a little repair around a leaking skylight on my 2004 Winnebago Vectra. It has the OEM sealant, untouched since new. It is my understanding, and from experience, that new silicone (even using the Winnebago approved product) does not stick to old silicone (including the OEM stuff).

That said, how should I repair this? If it were Dicor, I could clean it well and then touch it up, recover, it with new Dicor. BUT...since it is the original Winnebago OEM product, I am left scratching my head as to exactly how to properly repair this minor issue.

I really don't want to remove the existing OEM caulk/sealant, clean to bare fiberglass/plastic and reapply the OEM product. Frankly that just seems silly. Also, my favorite product, Eternabond, will NOT stick to the OEM product or any other silicone based product.

Guidance and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2022, 07:32 AM   #11
Community Moderator

I repaired a friend's leaking skylight last summer. I cleaned up the area, applied Dicor, then applied 3 different strips of Eternabond. The first layer was around the skylight, the next was on the repair area, then the 3rd was above the repair. But I overlapped all 3 layers by about 1-1 1/2", so no exposed seams underneath the new tape.
He claims so far, no leaks. When I asked if he was going to get it fixed, his replied was "why it is not leaking now".
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:36 AM   #12

Eternabond is for emergency repairs in my mind and not a product I would use during installation.
Dicor is a great product, but it is not silicone based and will not bond to the Winnebago factory silicone sealants. Do not use it on a Winnebago.
The Winnebago roof is unique and though some people say it is subpar, if it is maintained is a very good roof. The roofing material is a fiberglass based Filon product.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:44 AM   #13

So....in my opinion...the Elephant in the room seems to be the Winnebago silicone based sealant. I have yet to find any viable comment/post that confirms that existing Winnebago sealant can be touched up/top-coated with a new layer of the same material?
Old 01-22-2022, 03:49 PM   #14

I am fully aware that Winnebago wants a person to use their sealant, but they do not manufacture it so it has to have a compatable product. My question is why would I use a failed sealant to repair it with the same same sealant again. The left side of my roof blew up 5 years ago just sitting in my yard. Not knowing anything about this problem I used what I had. It was Lexel and it has been stating good, no drying out or shrinking that I can see. The tube says"sticks to ALMOST anything.

Tags
seal, sealant