Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Reflooring question

I know I've seen threads on laying new vinyl tiles, but can't seem to find an answer to my problem. Have a '94 Adventurer with a combination of carpeting and vinyl. The vinyl seems to cover whole floor under carpeting. However, there are 2 floor seams ( one at front of dinette and 2nd at rear) where the subfloor is at different levels causing the vinyl to split. Looks like a lack of support.How do I correct this to get an even surface after I remove the carpeting?
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It sounds like you have a structural problem in your floor. If it is minor adding screws may help. Another possibility is to put down a 1/8" underlayment of plywood and screwing and gluing it to the existing floor.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
It sounds like you have a structural problem in your floor. If it is minor adding screws may help. Another possibility is to put down a 1/8" underlayment of plywood and screwing and gluing it to the existing floor.

Would the plywood need any special prep for the self stick tiles?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would fill the seams with a filler made for that purpose, then lightly sand the whole floor, vacuum and when wipe with a damp cloth before laying the tiles.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

In our old coach, we replaced the carpet with sheet vinyl flooring and encountered similar problems. In our case, the sub-flooring was just at different levels, it was solid and not flexing when walked on.

We used a cement-based underlayment/leveler (I believe it was Armstrong brand S-183, it came in a 10 pound bag from Home Depot, you mixed it with water to use) to even out the floor.

We also found that where we did not use the leveler we had print-through from the old flooring (i.e. the embossing from the old flooring showed through). Fortunately we had used it in all the places that showed, only the storage areas had the problem. Note there are better products for this use, we used the S-183 because we had it.

We used the coach for 3 years after the installation and had no trouble with the new floor.

Hope this helps!

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Here's a link that may help you: http://www.floorexpert.com/Armstrong...f?OpenDocument
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

On our last Unit we used the snap lock tile from Home Depot.The backing worked to make it like it was one piece.This was on a 96 TREK and it worked very good.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
In our old coach, we replaced the carpet with sheet vinyl flooring and encountered similar problems. In our case, the sub-flooring was just at different levels, it was solid and not flexing when walked on.

We used a cement-based underlayment/leveler (I believe it was Armstrong brand S-183, it came in a 10 pound bag from Home Depot, you mixed it with water to use) to even out the floor.

We also found that where we did not use the leveler we had print-through from the old flooring (i.e. the embossing from the old flooring showed through). Fortunately we had used it in all the places that showed, only the storage areas had the problem. Note there are better products for this use, we used the S-183 because we had it.

We used the coach for 3 years after the installation and had no trouble with the new floor.

Hope this helps!

Stewart
Never paid attention to whether we had flex. Talked to Winnebago and they recommended cutting top layer (plywood) and cutting out foam and replacing with 3/4 plywood. Still better check for flex before doing anything.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird23 View Post
On our last Unit we used the snap lock tile from Home Depot.The backing worked to make it like it was one piece.This was on a 96 TREK and it worked very good.
Sadly, we already have the vinyl tile.