Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #1

Removing Old TV Mount.

My coach still the mount for the elephant size TV. The dealer had mounted a 32" flat screen but it bounced and squeaked all the time so I decided this fall it was time to do something. The frame for it was about 25lbs. also. Attached are pictures of the process. Hopefully they will open.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210107_161556 (2).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	316926

Name:	20210107_161405 (3).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	316927

Name:	20210126_114803.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	316928

Name:	20210203_141236.jpg
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	316929

Name:	20210203_151842.jpg
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	316930
A small door towards the front for access

Name:	20210203_141324.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	316931
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #2

Location: Land of high fuel prices and lousy roads; Kalifornia
I did something very similar and am very happy with the results. I used a "v" shaped TV mount very similar to the one you used. The first one I bought was pretty flimsy, and didn't really secure the TV very well. I bought another mouny, also "V" shaped, but it was bigger and used thicker metal. This one holds the TV very well.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #3

This mount seems to be sturdy enough. The problem is I have to screw the retaining screw in from the top and there is veerryy little room to get at it. As of yet I have not done that and it is 10 below so it will have to wait. I sure would like to find a motorhome the size of yours in a DP.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #4

David 70,
You think your steel structure was big, hah! Take a look at the original one that Itasca put in ours, to hold up that Titanic boat anchor Sony that used to be in there. That TV was 108 lbs.!!!!!!!!!!!! The one I replaced it with, is EIGHT LBS! Needless to say, there was no need for any form of a steel structure up there. So, it took me the better part of a 1/2 day to saw that structure out of there using three different saws, it was all worth it.

We didn't want a GIANT TV such as you have. We wanted something that was a serious improvement but, also blended in like it was factory. So, I disassembled the front cabinetry and MacGuyvered it into what you see in the pics. As for the mounting of it. I also didn't want any slinky type pivoting one that you see are for residential use. We don't need that TV to swivel in all directions.

So, I simply attached a cross piece of wood behind it, using the regular mount holes, and attached two ears to that cross piece. Then, I could attach the ears to the original side plates of the original TV face frame. That way, I could infinitely adjust the positioning of the TV, inside the allowable space to get that TV DEAD CENTER in the space. Then simply lock it down with screws.

Then, since the TV is now mounted to the front face frame, ( and being only 8 lbs, that's no load on that face frame) all I'd do is slide that face frame up,with TV attached, into its original position, and use two machine screws, two on each side, to secure it, in its original fashion. That TV hasn't move one micron in 2.5 years and approximately 30,000 miles.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0751.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	318646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	318647  

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	318648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0839.jpg
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	318649  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:20 AM   #5

That is the same steel structure that was in mine. I was able to unbolt it and remove it as one piece and it was about 15 lbs. by itself. The 32" tv that ia in mine was in there when I got it. The dealer had replaced it already so I used it since I had it. It is in the way a little when I get out of the driver's seat. By using different sized spacers I was able to slant it towards the passenger side slightly.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
That is the same steel structure that was in mine. I was able to unbolt it and remove it as one piece and it was about 15 lbs. by itself. The 32" tv that ia in mine was in there when I got it. The dealer had replaced it already so I used it since I had it. It is in the way a little when I get out of the driver's seat. By using different sized spacers I was able to slant it towards the passenger side slightly.
You were able to "Unbolt" yours? Wow. I looked extensively at mine and that entire system on mine, is/was WELDED together, all the way from the left wall to the right wall. There wasn't a bolt or screw in sight that I could see that would have allowed me to remove that main TV mount WITHOUT the hassle of sawing it all out of there. It was a pain in the a.. to saw that system out of there.
Scott
Old 02-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #7

My mount was welded together but it was bolted to the roof stringers and to the side cabinets. The way it sounds you entire front cabinet frames and all were one welded piece?
Old 02-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
My mount was welded together but it was bolted to the roof stringers and to the side cabinets. The way it sounds you entire front cabinet frames and all were one welded piece?
Yiiiiip, all one piece. Believe me Sir, if I could have un bolted it, I'd have done so. I had metal dust/chips/burrs all over the front of the inside of that coach, even though I had drop cloths, taped here and there and more. And, I ended up with a metal shard in my right eye.

But, in the end, what we have now is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what was in there. Winne had a make-believe "surround sound" system that was barely above the sound of an old transistor radio.(remember those?). So, I gutted that entire sound system, control unit, wiring, old VHS/DVD player and all.

I ended up with a new Marantz 1500 low profile high wattage receiver, a new base amp, and HDMI cables to run to all of it. The system now is totally adjustable for sound in all corners of that living area.
Scott
Old 02-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #9

Yep I definitely remember those radios. I had one that was about the size of two cigarette packs. I would lay in bed listening to it and dad would holler up to turn off the radio and go to sleep. I would tell him I was listening to Lutheran Vespers and then it was ok. All the sound system stuff and the inverter was gone from mine when I got it. I put a small sound bar in for the tv and the wife is happy with it and I don't watch it so that's good enough. I have a mess to clean up yet when it warms up a bit. That -26 degrees just wasn't fit to work in it and I wasn't going to try to heat it either.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
David 70,
You think your steel structure was big, hah! Take a look at the original one that Itasca put in ours, to hold up that Titanic boat anchor Sony that used to be in there. That TV was 108 lbs.!!!!!!!!!!!! The one I replaced it with, is EIGHT LBS! Needless to say, there was no need for any form of a steel structure up there. So, it took me the better part of a 1/2 day to saw that structure out of there using three different saws, it was all worth it.

We didn't want a GIANT TV such as you have. We wanted something that was a serious improvement but, also blended in like it was factory. So, I disassembled the front cabinetry and MacGuyvered it into what you see in the pics. As for the mounting of it. I also didn't want any slinky type pivoting one that you see are for residential use. We don't need that TV to swivel in all directions.

So, I simply attached a cross piece of wood behind it, using the regular mount holes, and attached two ears to that cross piece. Then, I could attach the ears to the original side plates of the original TV face frame. That way, I could infinitely adjust the positioning of the TV, inside the allowable space to get that TV DEAD CENTER in the space. Then simply lock it down with screws.

Then, since the TV is now mounted to the front face frame, ( and being only 8 lbs, that's no load on that face frame) all I'd do is slide that face frame up,with TV attached, into its original position, and use two machine screws, two on each side, to secure it, in its original fashion. That TV hasn't move one micron in 2.5 years and approximately 30,000 miles.
Scott
My old gasser i replaced the old boat anchor with a nice flat panel. Looks same as yours except mine is down only a half inch from the ceiling so it doesnt drop below bottom of front cabinets.
Looks like it could have been factory.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I did the same with my 2002 Adventurer. Put it on an RV TV mount with a quick release that lets me pull the TV out and rotate it slightly left to right.

kkocan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #12

I see y’alls comment. Aaaand I raise the anti. Lol. What a pain mine was but WAY more view and much better result than stock. I like the look of factory.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A6D2B36E-A748-4607-BA99-ACE6673358E2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	324078   Click image for larger version

Name:	303FBDC6-6D52-4935-B6F4-9249F447357C.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	324079  

Name:	6B5EEF5D-50B1-4C48-9DC2-8FD3F312FE85.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	324080  
Bocifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:37 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure why my pics didn't load above in my reply so trying again....

I also replaced the old tube TV in the bedroom. In the picture it looks like it is not sitting right but that is because I mounted it on a slight angle to face the bed. It is on a telescoping mount that lets me pull it out and use the cabinet space behind for storage.

kkocan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkocan72 View Post
I did the same with my 2002 Adventurer. Put it on an RV TV mount with a quick release that lets me pull the TV out and rotate it slightly left to right.

I’m doing mine now and was wondering what RV RV mount you used?
Daddypez is offline   Reply With Quote