Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #1

Replaced the bathroom vent lid

I recently cracked the bathroom exhaust vent lid by simply washing the top of it; after the years of being in the sun, the vent lid had crystalized. The vent lid on my model is from Jensen and the replacement process was really straight-forward, requiring the removal of the handle, screen, housing and vent operator from inside the motorhome. The vent lid on this particular model attaches by placing the lid in the maximum 'open' position and pivoting it onto the metal flanges. There is no metal rod or hardware needed to attach it.

Seems that any RV repair that I do never seems to not have any surprises, including the one. First problem was that the OEM vent operator used a plastic washer to keep it on the metal track inside the vent cover. That plastic washer was also crystalized and broke, so I had to replace the vent operator. I should note that the new replacement arm no longer uses a plastic washer to eventually deteriorate; uses a metal washer now, so that is likely good for the life of the motorhome.

I also discovered that the fan blades had crystalized and just barely touching them would make pieces break off, so I had to replace those too. The fan blades are removed by pulling down really firmly, making sure you support the fan motor attachment arm so as not to bend it. Overall, an easy process and if I'd had know everything to inspect that might need replacement beforehand, it wouldn't have taken two trips to the RV parts store. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Gosh with all that would it have been cheaper to get a new whole unit?
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Gosh with all that would it have been cheaper to get a new whole unit?
Maybe; I didn't price it that way as I wasn't expecting all the crystalized parts. I had already taken things apart with the motorhome in the middle of the driveway when I discovered the other problems. Had I been better prepared, buying all the parts in advance, maybe shopping online, probably could have found better deals. In my case, one I started, I wanted to be done with it and not drag things out for a week or so to save a few bucks. I spent $40 in total (Jensen vent lid, replacement fan blade and Jensen vent operator) and wouldn't have wanted to remove the old vent from the roof anyway, requiring me to re-seal it.

Doing a quick search at Camping World doesn't seem that the entire assembly replacement would be similar in cost. Vent assemblies with no fan run $40-$55, with higher quality replacement brands with fans running $100-$350. But again, if someone plans ahead, you can take the time to shop. Part of my problem stemmed with going to Camping World with the motorhome, had them look at the vent and vent lid, and then sold me the wrong one anyway. Once I had things apart, I just wanted to get it fixed. No rain on the horizon but the old vent lid was pretty cracked and definitely would have leaked.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #4

A whole roof vent is way more expensive. Besides, that includes scraping sealer, unscrewing and screwing it down, and reasealing.
After the first time, anyone can do this job in 15 mins.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I put covers over my vents to protect them from sun, hail, etc. Also allows me to leave them open in the rain 90% of the time.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, vent