Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replacement of CD/FM Panasonic OEM Radio

I run a 02 Winny Journey 34ft. My Panasonic CD/FM/AM OEM radio died and I would like to replace it.

Two questions, first how is it removed and do you need special tools to remove it?

Second has anyone replaced theirs and can they recommend a current model available, preferably plug and play, if possible?
Winnebago Journey 2002 WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000 5 speed, Air Dog Rapter Lift pump, Michelin XRV all around, TOAD; Xterra 2012 4X4 Auto, driveshaft disconnect. ATT MOBLEY, $20 unlimited internet.
GAGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

not for nothin...but that's 4-questions. seriously, do a query on YouTube. lots of 'how-to' videos.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #3

I think your unit uses the Magnadyne radio. If so, there are two "U" shaped gadgets (they came with the radio) that are inserted into the radio's face on its left and right sides. Once inserted, the radio is unlocked from its cage mount and can be pulled out of the dash. Once disconnected, the cage itself can be removed as well. The issue of more concern in the availability of replacements. The Magnadyne is a 2 DIN radio. So the hole in the dash is also sized for 2 DIN. All replacement radios today are 1 DIN or about half the height of your dash's 2 DIN opening. To my knowledge, the industry no longer supports 2 OR 1.5 DIN radios. That means you will need an adapter that will bring your 2 DIN dash hole down to 1 DIN where there are numerous radios that will fit.

Dan
Old 01-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

Not sure what radio you have but the U shaped tool that was mentioned can be made out of a wire coat hanger. I did this to get the stereo out of my F350 and there are Youtube video's about it.

My RV has a DIN and a half that is not longer supported but you might find one or two. If you do have a double DIN there are more choices then you can shake a stick at and there are a lot to choices in the single DIN.

If you have a DIN and a half You should be able to get a kit with a small shelf and an opening for a single DIN or just a single DIN. There are harnesses that let you plug into the original wiring but they are geared toward cars and trucks so you would have to know what plug was used in your RV. Even with these plug kits you still have to wire them to the stereo wiring. The only advantage is you don't have to cut into the vehicles wiring. There really isn't anything to difficult about installing a stereo, they are pretty basic.

Crutchfield and Amazon should have what you need.

Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #5

GAGypsy-

Winnebago provides wiring diagrams, parts list and the like online (link here). For your coach, you can get to the wiring diagrams via this path:

Wiring Diagrams
For 2002 Journey 34H: 2002 Journey DL/Horizon P34HD Wiring Diagram Book
For 2002 Journey 34G: 2002 Journey DL P36GD Wiring Diagram Book

Taking the path through the 34H, the wiring diagrams that show the radio are:

Dash Radio Installation (sheet 2)
Automotive Wiring Diagram (sheet 5, zone D28)

The "secret decoder ring" for these drawings can be found at this link:

Wiring Identification Guide

If you want plug-and-play, you will need to fabricate a wiring harness to match the Winnebago 12-pin connector shown in the second drawing (zone D28). This is not that difficult to do if you have a pin crimp tool. If you don't, send me a private message with your contact information and I'll walk you through the process. Also, you may be able to re-use the existing connector. I prefer to create a new plug-and-play harness. How it would be wired depends on what replacement radio you select.

The 2002 Journey brochure (link here), sheet 5 shows what appears to be a 1.5-DIN radio. You should measure the existing radio to confirm. If I were you, I'd use a 1.5-to-1-DIN adapter (link here or here) and install a 1-DIN replacement. Removal tools look like this, but I've also used four small screwdrivers to perform that function when the tool flexed too much. Some folks have used coat hanger wire loops.

Crutchfield is a great source for replacement radios.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
The Magnadyne is a 2 DIN radio. So the hole in the dash is also sized for 2 DIN. All replacement radios today are 1 DIN or about half the height of your dash's 2 DIN opening. To my knowledge, the industry no longer supports 2 OR 1.5 DIN radios.
Check out Crutchfield for 1.5 and 2 DIN replacements. Plenty of 2 DIN receivers available. -RT

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/2_DIN.html
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Journey Replace OEM Radio

Thanks to all, as someone stated, my OEM is a Magnadyne product. I was able to find a replacement and removal tool. I also checked out Cruchfield and am going through the products to decide on which will work best. THANKS TO ALL FOR GREAT INFORMATION!
Winnebago Journey 2002 WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000 5 speed, Air Dog Rapter Lift pump, Michelin XRV all around, TOAD; Xterra 2012 4X4 Auto, driveshaft disconnect. ATT MOBLEY, $20 unlimited internet.
GAGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, radio, replace, replacement