Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Replacement Water Heater

Vista 27N cracked water heater tank, Atwood 6 gallon with heat exchanger. No longer available. Replacement tanks are available but not finding one with the heat exchanger which is apparently welded to the tank.
Has anyone else had to replace theirs and if so, what did you use.
Coach has full body paint so going to another brand presents the problem of the current door not being able to be used.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2021, 05:40 PM   #2

By heat exchanger , do you mean the engine heater hoses are run through the water heater so you have hot water when you arrive .

Do you need the heat exchanger function ?

6 gal without heat exchanger should be a bolt in and by pass the heat exchanger.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #3

From our very own rvupgradestore.com Atwood 6G water heater with heat exchanger.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
From our very own rvupgradestore.com Atwood 6G water heater with heat exchanger.

Link shows none in stock and NLA.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Going off the model # in post 3, most sites say out of stock, no longer available, no longer manufactured.

This site doesn't say out of stock, may have one on the shelf still... not sure.

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/a...l-dsi-ht-exch/

Good luck.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #6

Have the tank welded......it is aluminum and can be repaired

Just need to have the seal/gasket kit to reinstall if crack is around the drawn pan area

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...sket-ring-kit/
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

Just found out this product has been permanently discontinued.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #8

Dometic acquired Atwood in 2014 and has been slowly doing away with Atwood Brand......First was their Helium RV Fridge, now its the 6 gal water heaters, soon to be the 10 gal version

Dometic launched the NEW designed 6 gal in 2021
It is narrower then the Atwood 6 gal so a conversion kit is necessary to install the Dometic replacement for the Atwood Model

BUT supplies/material/production is not back up to full speed so even the conversion kits are Unavailable

Hard to find any Atwood 6 gal units or replacement tanks with or w/o heat exchanger tube ( just a 1/2" extended 'U' tube welded to back of tank)

That Suburban in link above is a bit wider and shorter then the Atwood 6 gal
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:53 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
My 10 gal Atwood sprung a leak in the bottom after 17yrs. I looked for and exact replacement w/heat exch but none available and the price was going to be around $750 or more.
I pressurized it and found two pin holes where it had corroded all the way thru. I had a local weld shop weld the 2 holes and pressure test it over night. It only cost me $65 and has held up now for a couple of months.
When it corrodes thru in another spot I'll have it welded again. I may take a piece of sheet aluminum, cut it to size, bend it to shape and have it welded to the bottom 8-10 inches where most, if not all the corrosion can be seen.
Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water heaters are tankless now. And be thankful for that. ����
They have advanced a lot in the last few years. Finding one like your old one would be senseless. There are good electric and propane models now and I have used both. Electric in my home. And propane in my RV. They are both a great deal smaller than the old tank types. Which makes it much easier to install in the old big tank space. Look on ebay, amazon, anywhere.
phil8656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
[QUOTE=phil8656;5831351]Water heaters are tankless now. And be thankful for that. ����
They have advanced a lot in the last few years. Finding one like your old one would be senseless. There are good electric and propane models now and I have used both. Electric in my home. And propane in my RV. They are both a great deal smaller than the old tank types. Which makes it much easier to install in the old big tank space. Look on ebay, amazon, anywhere.[/QUOT

The only problem is that the cut out and access door is larger so it won't look right. Plus, the coach and access panel is full body paint
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #12

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
This water heater replacement has turned into a real challenge. I have removed the water tank in hopes of getting it repaired. However, the crack is right at the neck of the pressure relief valve. The welder said it most likely has compromised the opening and once the crack is repaired the relief valve may not screw in properly. I thought about a new tank, however, due to the age of the water heater I'm not even sure it works. I hate to replace the tank only to reinstall and find out the electronics, et., are not working. The one in my 27N is longer in production and the one that Dometic (who bought Atwood) makes are not a direct replacement. The cut-out is not even the same size. Suburban makes a cut-out replacement size unit minus the heat exchanger. However, good luck finding one. Everyone has them back ordered and even a Suburban distributor says he's been trying to get them for months. Even I find something I don't know if the 12v wiring will be compatible. This has parked my RV and I don't know what's the best course of action. Anyone else have the same issue and what did you do.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:55 AM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I have found Dometic heaters available and they have door adapter kits to accommodate the larger opening of the old heater. However, NON to be found anywhere. Girard has a heater that also has doors that adapt to the old size opening. However, I find very mixed reviews of them and I think I prefer to stick to a conventional tank model.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
If I were in your shoes, I'd find another welder for a 2nd opinion and maybe one with more skills to weld without damaging/distorting the pressure valve fitting. If both guys think the pressure valve could be damaged from the heat, just thread in a temporary 1/2 in plug to preserve the threads. The fitting has a lot more mass and thickness than the tank wall and a good welder with a delicate touch should have no problem.
Still wishing you some good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, heat, heater, replace, replacement, water, water heater