Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #1

Replacing the Magnadyne M9900CDS

I'm about to replace the OEM Magnadyne 9900 on our 2006 Journey but before I start the job I'd like to hear experiences from the iRV2 Consortium who have also performed this transition. I have acquired a Kenwood DPX501BT from a friend who upgraded his Kenwood audio system to one that includes navigation made by the same manufacturer. The radio is new and was removed and replaced by the dealer before my friend took delivery of his 2017 motor home. I compared the wiring between the Magnadyne and Kenwood and they are identical in speaker, ignition, 12v, and ground color coding, but I doubt if the plug receptacle configuration is the same and will no doubt need splicing. The aux inputs are in different locations but there are RCA plugs on the rear of the Kenwood for base and sub woofer speakers. It appears the Magnadyne is supported in the rear by a bracket and the Kenwood also has provisions for the same. The Kenwood also came with a new mounting sleeve, trim collar, etc. My question is has anyone replaced their Magnadyne with the same Kenwood? Any fitment issues or other problems or concerns I should be aware of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #2

I have a 2007 Journey 39K with the Magnadyne. I haven't replaced mine yet, but in researching one issue cropped up. The Magnadyne in mine is a 1.5 din unit and there are A/C ducts directly above it. There are no good replacement 1.5 dins anymore that I have found. So two possibilities, a one din or double din head unit.

I want to put a double din Kenwood with GPS in mine. So I will need to move the A/C duct outlets up a little and enlarge the opening for the double din. I am a little concerned with making it look nice, so thought of adding wood or carbon fiber look to dash areas.

Or you can get a 1.5 din to 1 din adapter. This would let you put a 1 din headunit in. If it is one of those with the motorized display it would work but might block part of the A/C outlet flow.

I didn't look up your Kenwood model to see if it is a 1 or 2 din. There are some threads on the various Winnebago forums where people have done each option, so a little search can get you some more tips.

Jay
Old 05-13-2017, 02:56 AM   #3

I have no issues at all with the wiring, but the DIN issue IS a problem. Ironically, Magnadyne sells a 1.5DIN to 1 DIN plate for the job. They may be the ONLY one that sells it

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote