Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Rialta 1995 - suddenly water in the bath shower pan? Have used water there only twice

Hi everybody, I am new to RVing and I got that super cute 1995 Rialta. I just discover a few issues while experimenting, such as...

Although I didnít use the bathroom water in the shower (I Just flushed the toilet twice) I discovered this morning water in the shower pan. You know ... the one in front of the toilet where you have to lift the floor piece. I could flush it out using the shower drain. But I am wondering what caused this?

Another incident that happened yesterday was that I couldnít fill the freshwater tank. I put in the hose in and turned on water but the water kept flushing back out. When I checked the tank panel it shew that freshwater tank is empty. So I kept filling the freshwater tank but since it kept flushing back I stopped. It seems that the water tank is full maybe the penal doesnít work because water is running.

Can anyone help me to understand whatís happening here ))
Shnoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

Make sure you drain the black AND gray tanks so you have a starting point. I think your gray tank is full. But I'm not familiar with your model, just that most models back up into the shower pan when the tank is full. Sort of a 'tell' that you notice.

After emptying the tanks, read the lights. They'll probably read full or partial, but not likely empty. Get a post it note and write down the date you emptied the tanks. Ignore the lights from then on and if there's one of you in the RV full time, note when it starts to smell in the bathroom or when the shower pan gets water in it again. Dump and repeat several times so you know how many days on average it takes to fill the tanks. Usually for a normal human, they both need to be dumped on the same day so it's best to do that every time. In my RV, it takes 10 days to need a dump. Longest I've gone is 21 days.

The water situation is fairly common in areas that have really pure water. Your gage probably doesn't work because the water is too pure to conduct electricity so the lights don't light up. You can add a teaspoon of salt if you want. Best to fill your water tank whenever you dump. The manufacturer figured out the sizes of the tanks for you so they tend to all need service at the same time.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Oh ... that makes sense. Yes Iíll go and dump it. NOW for some reason the gauge shows that the grey tank is full. So it is gray water coming up in the bath pan. Iíll try the trick with the salt. I now have a chlorine mixture in it to Desinfect the fresh water tank. Maybe thatís causing the wrong gauge?
Old 06-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #4

It's a '95, don't expect the gauges to ever work. Waste of money to try, usually.

If you have chlorine in the water tank now, that's the same as salt so if the gauge isn't reading, it's broken.

You have much more to learn about your RV so don't worry about the gauges for months. There are some tricks to try to get them to work but in a '95, doubt they'll ever work right. OR they could all start reading right tomorrow. No way to tell.

Maybe read about my '94 RV at my blog in the RV repair section. Many of the RV systems all work the same for different models and brands: http://chaos.goblinbox.com/rv-repair...epair-section/

Old 06-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #5

Thank you Jim !!!
Old 06-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #6

You are welcome.

You might read about the Geo Method of tank cleaning. That could possibly restore some operation of the gauges.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #7

Hey I want to bring this up again since I made further observations:

I dumped the tanks and refilled fresh water and the meter is working.

Now, that water in the shower pan occurred only when I flushed the toilet.

Is that possible that there is a leak somewhere in the toilet so that the flushing water ends up in the shower pan? I couldnít see anything though. And when flushing it seemed that enough water is in the toilet.

Do you have any idea why that happens?
Old 06-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnoby View Post
Hey I want to bring this up again since I made further observations:

I dumped the tanks and refilled fresh water and the meter is working.

Good to hear.

Now, that water in the shower pan occurred only when I flushed the toilet.

Did I miss that before? Hmm. I think you best call the factory. Oh, wait, it's '95. Sorry, don't know what could cause that.

Is that possible that there is a leak somewhere in the toilet so that the flushing water ends up in the shower pan? I couldn’t see anything though. And when flushing it seemed that enough water is in the toilet.

I don't know where or how that could happen in a RV.

Do you have any idea why that happens?
Nope. Mystery to me.

Meet me in Burns, Oregon next week and I'll look at it for you...

Old 06-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Just in case you're not aware of this, there are manuals and diagrams available for your RV on the Winnebago web site. At the top of their homepage, click on "Resources", select the year and model of your RV and you can download plumbing diagrams, wiring diagrams, owners manual and other stuff.

I took a quick look at your owners manual and found that the galley sink is the only thing that drains into the grey tank (6 gal). Everything else goes into the black tank (13 gal). Lots of good info in there.

Good luck with your new toy - enjoy!!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Something to consider, there may be a common vent for both tanks. If it's plugged, flushing the toilet may 'pressurize' the grey tank, and back grey water up into the shower stall. Does the water smell like sewage, or dirty - soapy water? If it smells REALLY bad, like sewage, there's a big issue. WGO Tech Service (800.537-1885) may be of help either way.
Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
2015 Equinox
WIT 47083, FMCA 263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #11

Thank you for the number - will call there. No it doesnít smell. It seems like fresh water. Also my freshwater tank is already empty and I just flushed the toilet a few times...
Old 06-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #12

I think I located the cause: the water starts flowing from behind the toilet and collects into the water collection basin. My suspicion is that the pipes who flush fresh water into the toilet are leaking. Has anyone had something like this and knows how to fix it? Problem is that I canít really see behind the toilet. I guess I have to remove the toilet ( OH MY GOOOSH )
Old 06-26-2018, 09:54 PM   #13

I reached behind the toilet and I could feel the leak (doesnít smell - do itís freshwater). I couldnít detect what exactly is leaking. The wiring diagrams that I have ó- well, I canít make ANY sense of it.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnoby View Post
Problem is that I canít really see behind the toilet.
Do you have a phone with a camera? Take a bunch of photos.

Tags
shower, water