Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Roof Maintenance and Repair Products

A new Fan-Tastic vent fan is on order, #7350. What sealants and preps do I need for this job? Further, what soaps and protectants should I be using on the roof?

For sealants I was looking at Dicor Butyl Seal Tape and Dicro EPDM Lap Sealant

Are those correct to use on fiberglass roofs? Any other products I should look at?

For cleaning, I have seen mentioned Zep and 303, are there others? I would like to clean it and protect it, not sure about waxing and thus slipping off sometime when I need to fix somthing

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

The products you selected will work fine... I use the name brand Eternabond for the tape and use Dicor lap Sealant for the chalk...you can get self leveling caulk or the regular...both work well.
For the washing of the roof...save some $ and use the non-scratching bleach powders as your scrub agent and a mild dish detergent as the soap. Comet and Dawn work well up there....nice brush on a handle...bucket and hose ... go to town. After you seal all the areas you are working on... perhaps you want to do a once a year treatment of the fiberglass.... then the 303 is a real good choice....they make an Aerospace UV protectant for fiberglass. It is very good.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok, thank you.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the Dutch Star with BriteTek roof they used the Dicor self leveling on most of the openings. They used a different one for the skylight.
I used a brush and mild sop to clean it, then sprayed it with 303 usually twice a year since that's what they called for to inspect the sealant.
Will probably do the same with the fiberglass on the Magna.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #5

Well Gang,
I'm not sure why some folks worry so much about a roof being "slippery" when it's washed, cleaned thoroughly and either waxed or, whatever coating one puts on it to protect it, especially a Winne or, Itasca fiberglass roof. Sure, the roof does not have non-skid built into the surface to keep things "ultra-safe" up there but, it's an RV roof and, you're up off the ground so, all anyone needs is to be careful.

I'm not chastising anyone here. Just mentioning that, you have to be careful while up there doing anything. Not many get up on those fiberglass roof when they're wet anyway unless they're washing it. Then, BE CAREFUL but, you can still get your work done. I've washed my fiberglass roof, on our '04 Itasca Horizon probably a dozen times, if not more, in the four years we've owned it and, never even come close to falling off or, slipping off.

As for protecting a fiberglass roof, well, that topic's been discussed here just a few times. Some will do exactly what I do and, that's wash it with a good soap and water and put a hand wax coat on it, using any one of a few dozen different types of auto wax.

Some, will put either ZEP or, RED MAX PRO or, what ever kind of "interior floor wax" to protect it.

Some, do nothing.

It all depends on what you're comfortable with and, how much work you either do, or do not, want to put into it.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, repair, roof, roof maintenance