Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #99

Not a problem using Rotella as long as it don't get really cold like sub zero then you would want to switch to 0W/30 oil. Rotella has a lot more detergent in it along with more zinc for lifters. Rotella works just fine in most if not all gas engines.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconview View Post
Not a problem using Rotella as long as it don't get really cold like sub zero then you would want to switch to 0W/30 oil. Rotella has a lot more detergent in it along with more zinc for lifters. Rotella works just fine in most if not all gas engines.
Yes it does
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #101

Admittedly I got a little bored after 5 pages read...BUT...did anyone mention the large difference between this style of generator versus the normal configuration of most engines...the cylinders are absolutely horizontal. And yes I know that many engines, Corvair, VW, Porsche, Ferrari, just to mention a few have flat cylinder configuration engines. But these may get run more frequently and much harder that our venerable gen sets. Perhaps could silicone oils have something in them that when left on a flat highly machined surface such as one of these horizontal cylinder bores causes some odd etching or residue? Maybe? I have been known to over think things a bit!!!
Old 09-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Ok folks, as the OP, I get to layout how I concluded this topic.

While the Rotella 15w -40 will work and most will never see any issues, it was clear to me it did not have any gasoline API specifications.

Since I was determined to find a oil that 15w -40 to support ambient temperatures to 100F, the 30 weight oil options were excluded.

Since Synthetics were not recommended by Cummins Onan and due to the fact that they cost more, all Synthetic options were excluded.

Since all 15w -40 oils are compatible with Diesel engines, I only viewed options that were compatible with Diesel & Gasoline. Gasoline API specification is SN

I was left with only 3 options.

1. OnaMax 15w -40 as it is OEM, but at $17/quart I did not wish to support their complex scheme to rip off customers trying to do the right thing or simply don't know any better.
2. Wal Mart's Super Tech 15w - 40 it is by far the cheapest, but something about putting Super Tech in my 5500 did not resonate.
3. Chevron Delo 400 15w -40 it came at a very economical price, rated for Diesel & Gasoline, Chevron brand name and the SN API Specification.

So I have picked up a gallon of the Chevron Delo 400 15w -40 and intend to change the oil this weekend when I receive my Onan Oil Filter.
You and I think alike, this is what I did.....before I read the post.
Mach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #103

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This stuff appears to be the OEM oil for your unit, though any oil with the proper ratings will be fine.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #104

How often do I need to change oil?

Onan 7500. Changed last year only run it for the monthly exercise. Has about 15 hours on new oil.
We are taking off and will probably use about 6 hours a day for 30 days. Then several more trips this winter. With probably full hookup.
Thanks for any tips.
AnywhereEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:44 PM   #105

They also sell for gas Onan Generators That is the place for any Onan or Cummins repairs and parts
Quote:
Thanks, I live in Dallas but I do not have any Cummins Diesel engines.

Have new RV with Cummins Onan Gasoline generator.

We have learned that Diesel oils works with no issues in Onan Gasoline engines

I order filters online ebay and bought oil at Walmart

Just learned why Cummins DOES NOT recommend Synthetic oils despite the fact a lot of people use because the know the blended oil is better, Basically Cummins saying it is not needed and no long term benefit.
ET-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:09 AM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRay View Post
This stuff appears to be the OEM oil for your unit, though any oil with the proper ratings will be fine.
That stuff unless you are basically living next door to a Cummins Onan shop is $17/quart

You may have missed the intent of the thread, was to find an alternate based on the Cummins Onan Specifications, and as you state oil with proper rating will be fine.

However we have found a Diesel/Gasoline oil Chevron Delo 400 that exceeds the Mfg Specification at a fraction of the price. Mission Accomplished
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:17 AM   #107

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereEric View Post
Onan 7500. Changed last year only run it for the monthly exercise. Has about 15 hours on new oil.
We are taking off and will probably use about 6 hours a day for 30 days. Then several more trips this winter. With probably full hookup.
Thanks for any tips.
A lot of context is missing but if it were me, I would change the oil but keep the existing oil filter before leaving.

I make assumption your oil change was Dec 19 but it could have been Jan 19?

By the book change Oil and Filter every 150 hours.

For me, I say change the oil twice a year on regular cadence ( my choice is March & September) change oil filter every year regardless ( my choice is September) . Keep air filter on RV, but only change it when it is obvious or 450 hours.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-20-2020, 02:40 AM   #108

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-S View Post
They also sell for gas Onan Generators That is the place for any Onan or Cummins repairs and parts
Thanks you got through my thick skull this time

I will add this info with my Service Manual for Onan Generator for future. I still have two years remaining on warranty. Thus far no issues with my gasoline generator. Although I did have dealer install EC-30 AGS which I absolutely love. I bought the OEM Air & Oil Filters online from ebay. Had options with Walmart & Amazon, but I go by best pricing and free shipping.

But I will check this place out for potential service.
Cummings Diesel Place located in Grand Prairie off of I-20.Name Southern Plains

Dallas Branch
4855 Mountain Creek PKWY
Dallas, Texas 75236
(972) 708- 0000

The Parts Are a Whole lot Cheaper than any where else that I have Tried to get them. Especially a RV dealer,, Also they are open late in the even and Saturday, they service and trouble-shoot/repair ....
Last time I tried to go a legit Authorized Service Center I got ripped off though. I took my brand new RV to Rush Truck Center in Irving for them to mount the bracket for Safe T Plus. There rate was something like $240/hr, but I figure since they were Ford dealer who safer to mount the bracket, I was going to do the balance of the Install myself. Turns out they didn't couldn't get the U bolts, because they thought it may break and it was not an OEM stock part, so they wanted to have custom made U bolts made just in case it broke !!! It was involving several trips and over $500 to just get the bracket. I called Safe T Plus in Atlanta who spoke with Rush about 10 minutes. Safe T Plus advised me to find a Spring Shop; so I told Rush I needed some time to think about it, they charged me $125 to get my RV back when nothing was done I wanted to argue, but I given the clientele / location, I thought I was better off paying $125 to learn to never go back there again.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #109

Generator oil

I used 15w-40 once in an emergency which I purchased at Walmart. Other then that one time I only use Onan brand oil. When it comes to expensive machinery I do not pinch pennies.
tprbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #110

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tprbill View Post
I used 15w-40 once in an emergency which I purchased at Walmart. Other then that one time I only use Onan brand oil. When it comes to expensive machinery I do not pinch pennies.
You are missing the point of the thread....

Which was to find a oil that meets or exceeds Onan specifications.

Understand that the Cummins Onan DOES NOT make oil. All oil is made to standard specifications. Cummins Onan will tell you this if you call them directly which I have.

Also, it is not pennies. It is $14/quart (include shipping) versus $3.25/quart (Include shipping or local pickup at Walmart). Also, you did not say which 15w -40 oil you bought at Wal Mart? Wal Mart sells Onan Max and today it is $14/quart. It was $17/quart when this thread started. I saw 2 15w -40 oils in store at Wal Mart that exceeded Onan Specifications including the Super Tech Diesel that you may have bought?

Just so you know I had a Cummins Onan Rep tell me that the Chevron Delo 400 oil exceeds the specifications of the Onan Max. Onan Max is a diesel oil and actually not rated for gasoline engines But that does not matter nor needed.

So if you follow the science and not the marketing, Chevron Delo 400 oil exceeds Onan's specifications and is substantially cheaper, not to mention more readily available at any Wal Mart etc.

Just so you know your point was not lost; I have seen no one question the use of OEM Air Filters nor OEM Oil Filters for these same generators. Those parts are readily available ebay, Amazon etc. and cost is relative the same as aftermarket.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #111

Using Rotella 15w'40 in an Onan

Just wanted to chime in and hope to clear up some information on motor oil as I was in the motor oil industry for over 35 years. First, to answer the question on using Rotella 15w-40 in an Onan generator. If it is a diesel-most definitely use it. For a gas generator you can , but a conventional oil is fine as well. Some facts you may want to consider-1) Diesel oils are formulated to deal with the soot diesel engines produce, so the additives packages are a bit different than conventional oils for gas engines. 2)Engine manufacturers dont make motor oil. What they do is require the oil to meet a certain spec. They then accept bids from major oil manufacturers to produce an oil that meets their specs. Liken it to GM Goodwrench oil that is produced by Mobil as Fords Motorceaft is or was produced by Havoline. 3) Synthetic oil. Best product you can put in any engine. Period.Only negative is the higher price. My advice to anyone would be if you want the best lubrication protection you can get use Synthetic oil. There isn't a race team on the planet that doesn't use synthetic oil. I personally use Rotella T-6 Synthetic 5w-40 in my Cummins powered MH. I plan on keeping it for a long time and know it's the best if not one of the best products on the market. 4) The absolute best thing you can do is change your oil often. I noticed that someone stated that they look at the oil to judge if it needs changing. NOT a good practice. Think about your investment and the price of a few extra oil changes. 5) Using a straight weight oil. With the way the multi-weight oils are produced now there is no reason to use a straight weight oil. Doesn't matter how hot it is. Hope this info helps.
Shell Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #112

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I think you are 100% correct. Remember the challenge for me was to try to find a oil that fits what Cummins Onan was specifying in our manual, and on our new generator (air filter cover to be precise). The obsession if any; was to avoid the expensive OnaMax, but have proof of regular oil changes with genuine OEM Air & Oil filters, and with an approved oil by Cummins Onan specifications and recommendations.
Just my thoughts, OnaMax is cheap here and easy to carry a little extra on the coach. That said, Then I've done my part to adhere to Cummins Onan specifications and recommendations.
SgtJac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan