RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rotella oil in Onan Generator?

Does anyone see any issue with using Rotella engine oil 15w 40 for a Onan 5500 Generator?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...-Oil/181236405

I saw being used in a youtube video and noticed that it is technically a diesel oil Not certain that makes a difference. May actually be better.

I am in an area where temperature tops 100 degrees so I decide to go with the 15w 40 that is listed on the generator. Cummins does not specify a type or brand on the weight based on temperature.

FWIW, I will use Onan OEM Oil & Air filters.

All thoughts welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #2

You wouldn't put diesel fuel in your gasoline tank, would you? OK, it's not THAT bad about any kind of motor oil would technically do as long as you changed it regularly. But why mess around when there are so many fine motor oils on WalMart's shelves clearly labeled to be for use in gasoline engines?
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #3

I have been using Rotella 15-40 in my 5500 Onan for about 10 years with no issues. Been so long I have forgotten why I started using it.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as the oil meets or exceeds the minimum API rating and the proper viscosity it should do fine.

Ken
Old 09-08-2020, 09:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
You wouldn't put diesel fuel in your gasoline tank, would you? OK, it's not THAT bad about any kind of motor oil would technically do as long as you changed it regularly. But why mess around when there are so many fine motor oils on WalMart's shelves clearly labeled to be for use in gasoline engines?
Actually there is not? I could NOT find any 15w 40 Motor Oil at Wal Mart store or Online that did not say Diesel?

Remember per Cummins Onan for temperatures at 100 degrees they say use 15w 40; for even higher temperatures they say use pure 30 grade oil. Both of those oils at Wal Mart where only Diesel?

This is why I posed the question, I did see a very good video on a onan just like mine and the guy that did oil change used this Rotella 15w 40; but he skipped over the fact that it says Diesel?

I am open for suggestions. I got 1 gallon of this oil; but I have not used yet. I plan to do this weekend.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
As long as the oil meets or exceeds the minimum API rating and the proper viscosity it should do fine.

Ken

x2 that is why they have API ratings, so you can tell if the oil is compatible with your engine.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #7

I use straight 30 in my generators one of which is a Onan. Having buckets of 15w40 around makes it tempting to use it too but might as well get what's called for by the manufacturer.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Diesel oil simply has more additives than oil for gasoline engines, to withstand higher combustion temperatures and keep soot/oil contaminents in suspension longer.
That's what Speedco uses in diesel gensets too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post
I use straight 30 in my generators one of which is a Onan. Having buckets of 15w40 around makes it tempting to use it too but might as well get what's called for by the manufacturer.
Do you have a straight 30 oil that is NOT diesel? Better yet do the buckets of 15w-40 you have say Diesel?

Onan says on my Generator to get SAE Viscosity based on temperature

- 32F and Higher Pure 30 (but I know I will use under 32F)
- 10F to 100F use 15w-40 (This was best fit for me in Dallas, but I could see temperatures exceeding 100F)
- 0F to 80F use 10w -30 (Temp will frequently go over 80F
- -20F to 50F use 5w to 50F (this must be for RVs at the North Pole? )
Old 09-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #10

I have always used Supertech HD 30W motor oil in my Onan 4000. It states "for gasoline engines" on the bottle. My local Walmart has it but I've found lately that it's not shelved with the multi-viscosity oils. Gotta look on the shelf with the filters themselves.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:44 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I have always used Supertech HD 30W motor oil in my Onan 4000. It states "for gasoline engines" on the bottle. My local Walmart has it but I've found lately that it's not shelved with the multi-viscosity oils. Gotta look on the shelf with the filters themselves.

Are you somewhere where it never freezes? Onan says to use SAE 30 when temperature is over 32F

Also this oil actually states for Diesel and gasoline.
Super Tech products online at Walmart.com or at a Walmart store near you.
Heavy-duty motor oil for gasoline and diesel engines where SAE 30 API CF-2, CF or SG oil is recommended
The Super Tech is cheaper and would work. Based on what I have learned thus far, all I need for Onan is the correct Viscosity which 15w-40 That allows me to run should temperature drop below 32F. If I wanted to be cute, I could do the Rotella every September and switch to the Super Tech every March
Old 09-08-2020, 11:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I routinely use Rotella T6 in my Yamaha FJR 1300. Even though it is a “diesel” oil it also carries the MA designation that motorcycle manufacturers recommend.

I use Chevron Delo in my Onan with no issues whatsoever. It’s carries an SAE API SN designation which means it’s compatible for any gas engine that requires SN or any prior category
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:03 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
I routinely use Rotella T6 in my Yamaha FJR 1300. Even though it is a “diesel” oil it also carries the MA designation that motorcycle manufacturers recommend.

I use Chevron Delo in my Onan with no issues whatsoever. It’s carries an SAE API SN designation which means it’s compatible for any gas engine that requires SN or any prior category
I saw the Chevron Delo, but passed on it as it was saying Diesel too. I did not look at close enough to see the SN rating. It cost a little more than the Rotella. The fact that the Rotella does not carry the SN rating actually makes the Chevron Delo the more flexible choice. I say it that way because Onan does not specify that SN is needed.

I have Yamaha boat where SN is needed; but I bought Castrol Synthetic SAE 10w 40 for that
Old 09-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #14

Howdy!

I use Rotella T6 in every I own mower, tractor, truck, generator etc... Never had a problem, its rated for gas or diesel.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...peahead=rotelo

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan