Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Running Lights blink

I own a 2004 Journey 36G and I am having problems with the running lights. When you turn your headlight switch on for the lights to come on they will blink and I do not know where to start to fix it.

I want to warn everyone about the access door in front where you can get to the fuse panel. Mine came loose on left side and when I looked at the hinge I found that it is only glued on no bolts. I looked on the right side and the glue is still holdingThanks in advance.

Fred
2004 Journey
350 Cat
swingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have an ICC switch on the dash, try wiggling it to see if that makes any difference. It's fairly common for the switches to go bad after a few years.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #3

swingover,
May I ask, do ALL your lights blink, including the headlights or just the running lights? The rears too or just the fronts or vice versa? Since the bodies are fiberglass, (normal) the grounds must be carried back to a central ground point. Does it mean it's a bad ground, possible. Sometimes the headlight/running light switch developed some bad resistance in it and can cause your issue.

Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD, very similar to yours and so far, we've not had any issues like yours, knock on wood (my head). And, by the way, there's been a few posts here and there about Winnies and even some Itasca's with "de-gluing" issues on various points on the coach. There's been lots of suggestions on how to re-glue them (the parts) together.

My favorite one is resin-fiberglass mat. That's a serious fix. Sometimes not practical but, pretty close to the best fix you can use. There are some very nice epoxies out there too. I'm always on the hunt for a good glue.

Anyway, let us know if you find the problem with your "blinking" lights issue. It would be good to know in case any of us develop the same problem.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
YC1

If you have a keyless entry keyfob type system the emergency feature might become activated under strange circumstances. If you have that try to disable it by removing fuses or unplugging it.

As for things being glued together that is fine if the proper structural adhesive is used. I built an airplane and it probably had less than 100 rivets in it. It was glued together. It went 160 mph and carried two people. I sure miss it. It was a time warp machine and magic carpet. The newest jetliner wings are glued together.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

Running lights blink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
swingover,
May I ask, do ALL your lights blink, including the headlights or just the running lights? The rears too or just the fronts or vice versa? Since the bodies are fiberglass, (normal) the grounds must be carried back to a central ground point. Does it mean it's a bad ground, possible. Sometimes the headlight/running light switch developed some bad resistance in it and can cause your issue.

Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD, very similar to yours and so far, we've not had any issues like yours, knock on wood (my head). And, by the way, there's been a few posts here and there about Winnies and even some Itasca's with "de-gluing" issues on various points on the coach. There's been lots of suggestions on how to re-glue them (the parts) together.

My favorite one is resin-fiberglass mat. That's a serious fix. Sometimes not practical but, pretty close to the best fix you can use. There are some very nice epoxies out there too. I'm always on the hunt for a good glue.

Anyway, let us know if you find the problem with your "blinking" lights issue. It would be good to know in case any of us develop the same problem.
Scott
Fire UP
Only the yellow lights blink the red ones did not come on when I turned on the headlight switch. I hit the dimmer switch to make the headlights bright and all of the running lights came on and the yellow ones stopped blinking. The turn signal yellow blubs were blinking at first also. Everything is working correct now after I hit the dimmer switch.

Swingover
swingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #6

Well Sir,
That's quite an dilmemma. I hate things that malfunction and then correct themselves. Because you don't know if it's permanently corrected or not. And, even if it does it again, it's hard to diagnose. I'd rather have something break for good. Then, I can at least eventually find the culprit.

YC 1,
I love good glues. As stated earlier on other threads, there's a few folks out in the RV world that have had things fall off and put them back on with various lasting results with various glues. Glues and epoxies have improved over the years and for the most part, are pretty darn good, as you've demonstrated in your aircraft. As long as the glue holds for the life of the vehicle/aircraft/motorhome etc, we're all good. I really like good epoxies and have used a few now and then. But, the fiberglass resin and glass mat system is always a good back up.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights