Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
RVComfort.zc problems

For several years I have had a problem with my thermostat locking up, reading "00", firing the gas furnaces when no heat is called for, or firing the gas furnace along with the heat pump. I think that covers the majority of the symptoms.

I gave a call to RVP, the supplier of my system. There tech support guy assured me that the thermostat was fine. I had a signal interference problem. Noise was being introduced to the ground system. The thermostat uses ground signaling to communicate with the units. He suggested that I unplug everything ans shut all of the lights off. Then switch the thermostat off, remove the fuse (located under the cover) and wait 5 minutes. Replace the fuse and wait another 5 minutes. Now start turning on lights and plugging things back in, watching the thermostat for the "00" to appear.

I did this. As soon as I turned on one of my LED wall lights the "00" appeared. Light off, "00" gone. I thought I had found the problem. I started turning the rest of the lights on and the "00" came back.

Here is the bottom line. The contacts on the bulbs were slightly dirty. I rubbed them with my fingers (sand paper? lol) and the problem went away. I also disconnect the patio LED strip
that I had installed under the awing. This is another source of trouble for the thermostat. I need to fix it at a later time, if possible.

Over the years I have seen this problem posted. I have not seen a good resolve posted.

What I learned from the tech is that any DC fixture or component can cause this problem. Also, cell phone chargers can be another source of trouble. He even mentioned ceiling fans and the inverter fan as problem areas. Replacement of the fan in doubt usually is a fix.

I hope this works for you if this is a problem in your rig.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
For several years I have had a problem with my thermostat locking up, reading "00", firing the gas furnaces when no heat is called for, or firing the gas furnace along with the heat pump. I think that covers the majority of the symptoms.

I gave a call to RVP, the supplier of my system. There tech support guy assured me that the thermostat was fine. I had a signal interference problem. Noise was being introduced to the ground system. The thermostat uses ground signaling to communicate with the units. He suggested that I unplug everything ans shut all of the lights off. Then switch the thermostat off, remove the fuse (located under the cover) and wait 5 minutes. Replace the fuse and wait another 5 minutes. Now start turning on lights and plugging things back in, watching the thermostat for the "00" to appear.

I did this. As soon as I turned on one of my LED wall lights the "00" appeared. Light off, "00" gone. I thought I had found the problem. I started turning the rest of the lights on and the "00" came back.

Here is the bottom line. The contacts on the bulbs were slightly dirty. I rubbed them with my fingers (sand paper? lol) and the problem went away. I also disconnect the patio LED strip
that I had installed under the awing. This is another source of trouble for the thermostat. I need to fix it at a later time, if possible.

Over the years I have seen this problem posted. I have not seen a good resolve posted.

What I learned from the tech is that any DC fixture or component can cause this problem. Also, cell phone chargers can be another source of trouble. He even mentioned ceiling fans and the inverter fan as problem areas. Replacement of the fan in doubt usually is a fix.

I hope this works for you if this is a problem in your rig.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Iíve experienced a similar problem with the thermostat in my 2014 Adventurer. If the ceiling fan is operating while the AC is on, the Zone 2 AC (bedroom with ceiling fan) will not cycle off and on. It causes the thermostat to read much warmer than it actually is and the AC just keeps running and getting too cold. I have read about a fix that involves installing some type of noise filter in the thermostat wiring but havenít been able to find further info or a source for the filter.
CincyBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyBuckeye View Post
Iíve experienced a similar problem with the thermostat in my 2014 Adventurer. If the ceiling fan is operating while the AC is on, the Zone 2 AC (bedroom with ceiling fan) will not cycle off and on. It causes the thermostat to read much warmer than it actually is and the AC just keeps running and getting too cold. I have read about a fix that involves installing some type of noise filter in the thermostat wiring but havenít been able to find further info or a source for the filter.
I tried the filter early on. Had no effect. Talking with the factory service adviser he said that the only true fix is to replace the culprit. In my case I was able to get the LED leads to make better contact. The rep did mention having to replace ceiling fans. I think you would not go wrong trying that first. At least try to find the ground termination and make certain it is clean and secure and that the connections at the fan are the same.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

When we had this type of problem with our thermostat, we ended up replacing the flouescent ceiling lights with LED. Problem has not reappeared.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems