Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

RVComfort.ZC zone heat issue

This seems to be a special thermostat made for Winnebago.

We were wakened by the gas heater in zone 1 firing up. There was absolutely no reason for the heat pump not to work at the temperature outside. Besides, the temp in the coach was already satisfied and no heat should have been running. I shut the zone off and went back to bed.

When we finally got up for the day I started to troubleshoot. What I was getting was a Electric heat on steady and Gas flashing. More research, including calls to RVP. The problem is the thermostat is stuck in the 3rd strike 2 hour lockout mode. This is normal when the thermostat tries to use the heat pump and is forced into the gas furnace mode three consecutive times. But, for me, this has not happened and the thermostat is stuck in this mode.

I did, by direction of the RVP tech, a hard reset of the thermostat. This proved useless. So, here we sit with no heat pump for zone one and zone 2 working just fine. The tech was not very helpful in directing me as to how to troubleshoot further. I have a few things I want to try but not until we are at our new location on Friday. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. At last resort I will replace the thermostat. Being unique to Winnebago this may be a challenge and very costly.

Thank and Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 11-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

That thermostat is not unique to Winnebago. They are available at numerous places. It is mostly used by Coleman Air Conditioner systems but made by Airxcel which also owns Dometic and several other RV system manufactures.

Here is just one link on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1314493...3D936995793861

The manual is also online.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
That thermostat is not unique to Winnebago. They are available at numerous places. It is mostly used by Coleman Air Conditioner systems but made by Airxcel which also owns Dometic and several other RV system manufactures.

Here is just one link on eBay Coleman 8330D3311 9 Series Zone Control Thermostat in Black RV Comfort ZC | eBay

The manual is also online.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Thanks, but it wont work. My thermostat is a RVP 8430-331. This has a different pin-out that the one you are referring to. This is another reason I am having trouble finding the problem. The Heat 1 Stage 1, Heat 1 Stage 2 is just sand in the grease bucket to me.

I am having trouble attaching the picture of the connector pin configuration. My internet went down. Hope the picture helps you to see my unique problem.

Thanks for your input.

Rick Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat.JPG
Views:	2487
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	112743  
Old 11-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ok, here is the exact one on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-8430A3.../dp/B00O4B69JW

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

jerichorick, "The Heat 1 Stage 1, Heat 1 Stage 2 is just sand in the grease bucket to me". Heat 1 Stage 1 and 2 is for dual speed furnaces, Stage 1 is low speed and stage 2 is high speed. Both of your furnaces are single speed so they are only wired to stage 1.
Here is a link to your thermostat manual.
http://rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_documen...thermostat.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have had a similar problem and I have found that removing the 110volt power to the heat pump and the 12volt power to the furnace for at least 10 seconds has been successful. It seems that the thermostat needs to be rebooted every so often. Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by godddard View Post
I have had a similar problem and I have found that removing the 110volt power to the heat pump and the 12volt power to the furnace for at least 10 seconds has been successful. It seems that the thermostat needs to be rebooted every so often. Hope this helps.
I apologize to all for not following up sooner on your responses and thank you all for your efforts to help me. We were on the road and then had internet issues at this new location. We are in temporary parking at the moment and I will finis prepping the RV site we will be in for the next 2 months and move today.

I think I picked up RV gremlins my last day or two at my last location. A couple of minor issues happened that seemed to go away on their own.

Now, to the topic at hand. Trying to get the thermostat to work I powered down the two front A/C units and removed the power from the control board via pulling a +12V lead on the front unit and disconnected one of the 30 second delay timer leads from the front A/C unit and and left the jumper on the timer terminals in place on the middle unit. I powered up the middle unit and checked the thermostat. All was normal except I did not have the front unit in services. We were packing down to leave so I felt confident that the two working heat pumps would be enough to get through the cooling weather till we left. Well, don't ya know, it snowed on us so we had to use the gas heat anyway.

When we got to this location, outside of San Diego, I took the time to reconnect the lead in the front unit and power it back up. The problem is gone and all is working as it should. In essence, godddard, I did what you did. Thanks for the conformation of my work. (What do you have for a coach?)

Happy trails to all,
Rick Y

Tags
heat