Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
sanitize fresh water tank

a couple time a year i drain my fresh water tank and refill it using an inline filter. somehow, this just doesn't seem enough to sanitize properly. i know i could google and research, but we have so man pros on the forum, i just know i can get some great tips along this line of thinking. i've been rving a couple of years. any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I know what you mean Boyce. I feel the same way. Although I should do it more regularly...like twice a year... I do try to get around to a sanitation cycle at least once per year.

I've forgotten what the ratio of bleach to fresh water is... it's here on the forum somewhere... but I think I use something like 3 cups of bleach for my 107 gal fresh water tank. I dilute the bleach in a bucket with a gallon of water. I remove the charcoal filter cartridge from the filter in my plumbing bay. I fill the empty filter housing with the diluted bleach and begin to fill the fresh water tank. Since not the whole gallon will fit into the filter housing, after a few minutes, I shut off the water and refill the filter housing with the diluted bleach solution. I repeat this until I have all of the bleach in the fresh water tank.

I fill the tank all the way and run the water from each faucet in the coach, hot and cold, one at a time until I can smell bleach coming from the running water. This just makes sure that I'm getting the bleach through all of the lines. It'll take a while for it to get through the water heater but be patient.

Once I think I've gotten the bleach solution into all the lines and water heater... I let it sit for at least 4 hours.

Then comes the hard part. It's rare that I'm in a place where I can dump 107 gallons of bleach water on the ground under my coach. That's the big reason I don't do it as often as I'd like. But, assuming I do have such an opportunity, I dump the fresh water tank, refill it and run water through each faucet and the water heater until there is no smell of bleach.

Usually at that point, I'll have to dump the tank and refill again. Then reinstall the filter cartridge.

Good Luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #3

an old timer told me ...

An old timer told me that he did not fill his fresh water tank completely full when sanitizing ... only about half ... ran water through all the faucets .... then he drove around the block a couple of times ... hitting his brakes so the water sloshed good ... then parked back at his home ... let it set for an hour or so ... did the faucet thing ... then took another trip around the block sloshing as he went ... then drained his tank ... it has worked for me for several years ...

Your bleach mixture is strong enough to sanitize the system if you get a faint bleach smell in the water that comes from the faucet

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawboyce View Post
a couple time a year i drain my fresh water tank and refill it using an inline filter. somehow, this just doesn't seem enough to sanitize properly. i know i could google and research, but we have so man pros on the forum, i just know i can get some great tips along this line of thinking. i've been rving a couple of years. any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Hey there PawPaw, it is easy to find that info, here is a link. Tells you everything you need to do. Copy and past into your browser

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System
Greg Lepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
sanitize tanks

thanks so much guys, skigramp have a great day.
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote