Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2022, 02:26 PM   #1

Schwintec Galley Slide Issue-Itasca Ellipse 42QD

I have searched the posts for this issue but can't seem to find this one. I have just had my 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD for about a month and I have no experience with Schwintec. All of the other coaches were R&P slides.
Here is my problem. I have put out the slides out in the following order since I got the coach. Level the coach first per Winnebago instructions. Then I put out the bedroom slide (Schwintec) goes out fine. Then I go to the Galley Slide and one side starts to go out the side with sink (heavy side) starts and then stops and made 1 pop sound and stopped. I pulled it back in. I tried it again and same thing just no pop. I then put out my big full wall slide and thought I would try the galley slide. And it went out smooth as silk. I have never done it in this order and would not think that you would need to do this. But once that big wall slide was out that galley went out as smooth as ever with no sounds at all.

I so miss my old coach at this point....Swintec and I just don't seem to get along.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again for all the help.
xmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2022, 05:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2014 was the first year for the schwintek slides on them. They were total garbage and were replaced with heavier duty ones.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:29 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might want to check this alternative out. Heard good reviews from many folks about the change.

https://vroomslidesystems.com/
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #4

I also own a 14 42qd. You'll find a few different threads about the problems with the kitchen slide. Schwintek is too light duty for heavy slides. I read about the problems and was keeping my slide gibs lubricated hoping that would help but one side stripped teeth and wouldn't retract and jammed. Called vroom to get cost for replacing the slide but they said 14 was too old. Ended up driving to Winnebago in Forest City to replace the slide. They replaced the slide with Power Gear. Happy with the work they did.
davo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #5

When did you have this done?
Old 12-04-2022, 07:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple of things:
- Do you have the 'fixed rails' or the 'floating rails?' Floating rail system is the replacement fix and has higher ratio motors that are handling the weight of the slide better.
- Look at the slide controller located on the ceiling of the slide out tray bay - a series of flashing lights may tell you what's happening, e.g., motor vs wiring issues.
- You can also peel back the outside wiper seals and see the motors (one each end of the slide mounted up high). Check that the wires are well seated and not pinched, bare, etc.
- Winnebago replaced many of these systems as a 'courtesy fix' beyond warranty. You might have some luck convincing them to do the same for you.
- Yes - some other dealers can do the repair but your best option is the Winnebago factory in Forest City, IA
- To keep the motors synchronized always run the slide all the way out or all the way in and hold the switch in for ~ 5 seconds after the motors stop running. Try not to reverse in mid-stream. Yes - you're going to experience problems with stalling. There is a process to disengage a motor on one or both side(s) and then retract the slide.
- Read the directions for resetting the controller and disengaging the motor(s) (Schwintek has some good videos and/or call Winnebago to help).

Let us know what results - we all learn...
Old 12-04-2022, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
A couple of things:

- Do you have the 'fixed rails' or the 'floating rails?' Floating rail system is the replacement fix and has higher ratio motors that are handling the weight of the slide better.

- Look at the slide controller located on the ceiling of the slide out tray bay - a series of flashing lights may tell you what's happening, e.g., motor vs wiring issues.

- You can also peel back the outside wiper seals and see the motors (one each end of the slide mounted up high). Check that the wires are well seated and not pinched, bare, etc.

- Winnebago replaced many of these systems as a 'courtesy fix' beyond warranty. You might have some luck convincing them to do the same for you.

- Yes - some other dealers can do the repair but your best option is the Winnebago factory in Forest City, IA

- To keep the motors synchronized always run the slide all the way out or all the way in and hold the switch in for ~ 5 seconds after the motors stop running. Try not to reverse in mid-stream. Yes - you're going to experience problems with stalling. There is a process to disengage a motor on one or both side(s) and then retract the slide.

- Read the directions for resetting the controller and disengaging the motor(s) (Schwintek has some good videos and/or call Winnebago to help).

Let us know what results - we all learn...

I had the slide gear on a full wall slide replaced by Winnebago at Forest city in 2016 and have never had a problem after that. I would take it to Forest City if possible. One thing that I have found really helps is to have the engine running to give the motors good voltage. On a diesel only. Run the engine until the grid heater stays off and then run the slide motors. Watch the volt gauge on the dash. When the grid heater on the engine is cycling you will see as low as 11 1/2 volts. When it stays off you will have a good 13 to 14 volts which will give more power to the slide motors.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #8

We had the schwintek on our 2013 QD and took it to Forest City and had it replaced with the power gear replacement and it has been flawless. I had a serious discussion with the service writer since this is a known issue and they gave me a really nice discount.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:43 PM   #9

Had it done this year.
davo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:54 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of my motors was done at Lippert in Elkhart, IN. Nice place for the Summer trying to avoid the Texas heat.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:57 PM   #11

Thanks for the help

Thanks everyone for the help. Much appreciated
Old 12-06-2022, 09:35 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
XMIT, make sure to read the manual on operations and sometimes it's good to call Lippert.

I am going to "assume" that the systems are basically the same. What I have learned:

---------
Once you start in a directions do not reverse directions unless an emergency

When the slide gets to the extreme limit and stops, continue to hold the button in for a minimum of 5 seconds to let the slide motors synchronize.

Never let a side of the slide get more than 2 inches in difference with the other side of the slide. Those motors are very powerful and can damage things very easily.
----------

Although my MH was sold as a 2015 the build was August of 2014. I think it was a special order although I cannot find any history on it. I have a 28 gallon built in propane tank used to fire the 3 burner stove top. I don't seem to be using propane at all. All of my controls are analogue, no digital screens for slides or anything else to turn on in the MH.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:32 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
When

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmit View Post
I have searched the posts for this issue but can't seem to find this one. I have just had my 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD for about a month and I have no experience with Schwintec. All of the other coaches were R&P slides.
Here is my problem. I have put out the slides out in the following order since I got the coach. Level the coach first per Winnebago instructions. Then I put out the bedroom slide (Schwintec) goes out fine. Then I go to the Galley Slide and one side starts to go out the side with sink (heavy side) starts and then stops and made 1 pop sound and stopped. I pulled it back in. I tried it again and same thing just no pop. I then put out my big full wall slide and thought I would try the galley slide. And it went out smooth as silk. I have never done it in this order and would not think that you would need to do this. But once that big wall slide was out that galley went out as smooth as ever with no sounds at all.

I so miss my old coach at this point....Swintec and I just don't seem to get along.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again for all the help.
I always extend the slides in the order you describe. 1. Full-wall, 2. Galley, 3. Bedroom. This sounds like the weight of the full-wall slide is changing the frame ever so slightly. Similar to the issue when the coach is leveled, the cargo doors can stick ever so slightly. I have the upgraded PowerGear rails on mine and still get concerned about the Galley slide. When retracting, my sequence is 1. Galley Slide, 2. Full-wall Slide, 3. Bedroom slide. All great suggestions above related to keeping the engine running and getting the PowerGear upgrade...etc. BTW, you will like this coach once a few bugs are worked out.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I extend mine differently.
1st Galley
2nd BR
3rd Full Wall

I reverse the process for retracting.

My Logic:

The galley and BR slide add weight to that side of the MH and balances the weight of the full wall slide (FWS). When retracting the slide the way I do the weight of the FWS is lifted first. My unit has the commercial refrigerator in the FWS.

Just my inept thinking.

Tags
itasca, slide