Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Seeking owners input!

Hi Everyone!

We are currently shopping for our retirement coach and wanted to ask if any of you would be willing to share the pros and cons of your coaches to better help us with our decision!

We thank you in advance for assisting us,

Mike-n-Karen
Mike-n-Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I think there will always be pros and cons no matter how well thought out. We are now on our second MH and there are things we really like about our newest one versus the old one but there are some things we really liked in our old one that we wished were in the new one.We also had a 5th wheel and thought that was the way to go.We do really think a MH is the way to go for us now,it is so much more convenient.So I guess unless you can afford to custom build your ideal/dream RV there will be no perfect RV.
Good Luck in your search and we hope you have many happy years of camping.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

#1 if you are full timing or going on long trips, make sure your couch has a big carrying capacity. Some diesel pushers we sold only had a 1500 lb carrying capacity. Gas rigs can have even less. My gas Pace Arrow has over 4000 lbs capacity. Look on the label. Salesmen will lie.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Well, Mike-n-Karen, tell us some background…is this retirement RV for full timing? Just how much do you plan to travel? These things are important because you may have to look at things differently if full timing.
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
I think there will always be pros and cons no matter how well thought out. We are now on our second MH and there are things we really like about our newest one versus the old one but there are some things we really liked in our old one that we wished were in the new one.We also had a 5th wheel and thought that was the way to go.We do really think a MH is the way to go for us now,it is so much more convenient.So I guess unless you can afford to custom build your ideal/dream RV there will be no perfect RV.
Good Luck in your search and we hope you have many happy years of camping.
Thank you for your input macantic! Ad thank you for wishing us luck!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
#1 if you are full timing or going on long trips, make sure your couch has a big carrying capacity. Some diesel pushers we sold only had a 1500 lb carrying capacity. Gas rigs can have even less. My gas Pace Arrow has over 4000 lbs capacity. Look on the label. Salesmen will lie.
ga traveler, this is really helpful information and we appreciate your input. We will definitely make sure we get me with greater capacity!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdsgone2dogs View Post
Well, Mike-n-Karen, tell us some background…is this retirement RV for full timing? Just how much do you plan to travel? These things are important because you may have to look at things differently if full timing.
Kdsgone2dogs we will sell our home and full time it in our new coach. That is why we want to make sure to get it right and thought by asking you fellow RV owners we may get some much needed input. What do you mean by looking at things differently if full timing it?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

A lot will depend on your budget. There isn't much point in discussing $300,000 motorhomes if you're looking to spend $50,000 and vice versa. For long term and full time use, I would think that the floor plan would be a priority. A tight floor plan will tend to get claustrophobic after a week.

You'll want to consider what amenities you need. A washer and dryer, residential refrigerator, and king bed might be important, etc. We really like the Tour 42QD because it's the most like a home on wheels.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You will need a good size kitchen with a lot of counter space if you plan to live in the unit. also storage is important. Do you plan to have a full hookup at all times or will you be boondocking occasionally? We are on our third motorhome and have found one suitable for living in for four months of the year while mostly boondocking. It's a Winnebago Adventurer, 36' with three slides. We are limited to 36' due to parking at home. Wishing you the best of luck!
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Clothes closets, dressers, etc that will suffice for the weekend trip may not be good enough for full time living. If you like to attend formal events then a closet that will allow the hanging of a few formal gowns will be a consideration. Do you like home cooking or prefer eating out? Any hobies to consider? Fishing gear, folding boat? Wilderness camping requiring larger battery banks, propane, fresh water and holding tanks? Possibly upgraded solar. Tools and such, if your handy and do your own maintenance then you need places and weight capacity to carry your tools.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

As noted, floor plan and interior livability is important since it will be your home. Will you want new or are you willing to consider gently used? Many folks elect to let the first guy take the huge depreciation hit and buy a one owner used rig. You can get into a fairly high end rig for a lot less money if you do that.

Diesel vs. gas? Will you be putting a lot of miles traveling all over the country or primarily staying in just a few locations? If you will be driving a lot, I'd want a DP since they drive better, ride better, have more pulling power, etc. than a front engine gas motorhome. DP's are more expensive to buy and maintain.

Have fun looking and wishing you many happy miles in whatever you get.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-n-Karen View Post
Kdsgone2dogs we will sell our home and full time it in our new coach. That is why we want to make sure to get it right and thought by asking you fellow RV owners we may get some much needed input. What do you mean by looking at things differently if full timing it?
When full timing (btw, we are not full timers…yet anyway) I would think that storage and size would be a bigger issue when choosing a RV. We travel for extended periods of time (3-4 months) in our Winnebago Aspect 30', however, if the day comes around to full timing…it'll be in a much larger unit with a lot more storage.
Good luck in your search…and have fun. If there are any RV shows in your area…start looking there.
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The wife and I are in our 14th year in this great lifestyle. We are not fulltime but do some 3 or 4 month trips. We have many good friends that do full time and when I talk to them I get the fever to go along but the wife won't give up the house. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is you may be limited to places you can get into when you go over 40' So many campgrounds are outdated and set up for smaller rigs and even if you can get in it is real tight sometimes. IMO two people can get along fine in 40' if you follow the rule I hear all fulltimers say, If you bring something new in the coach, something old has to go out. Have fun looking and be safe, Jim
Old 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-n-Karen View Post
Hi Everyone!

We are currently shopping for our retirement coach and wanted to ask if any of you would be willing to share the pros and cons of your coaches to better help us with our decision!

We thank you in advance for assisting us,

Mike-n-Karen
I have been fulltiming for several years now. This is my third coach and I hope my last.

I have had much experience with Cummins from my work years and I will not own any other diesel. With that said, Cummins, Allison transmission and Freightliner are a great base for a motorhome.

If you buy used you have many advantages from the get go. The 'drive off the lot' big depreciation hit has been had. The early shakedown stuff is, hopefully, addressed for the most part and a great coach can be had at a reasonable price.

Winnebago/Itasca have a series of floor plans that are very user friendly and fulltimer savvy. Starting in 2011 was the 40U. It is the first year with that made the residential refrigerator available and provides a huge basement. The 2012 year has a few more improvements. Of course this is true for each progressive year.

Here are the floorplans I was referring to: 42QD, 42E and the 40FD.

Here is the main page: Winnebago Industries: Products

Just in case you are wondering, NO, I am not associated with Winnebago industries in any manner except as a owner. As such I can tell you that we love our coach. It is easy to drive and maintain (Except for the generator. Not on a slide.) and very 'livable'. Would I like some changes to it? Yes. But, by far, it is the most functional and comfortable coach we have seen on the market for our lifestyle needs. It is not a bedroom on wheels. It is a home on wheels and if feels like one.

Don't limit your search to your local area. Be willing to travel. We drove 1200 miles to buy this coach this past May. Found it through a online search of "2011 40U" in Ft Myers, FL.

I hope my comments are helpful. Happy trails and happy hunting.

Rick
Old 11-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I think you need to let us know more about what your plans are. Since there is a difference between camping and rv'ing, the rig you choose may be a problem for one or the other. As mentioned, campgrounds can be a little confining for larger mh's and if full timing, I would think you would want to go as large as you can.....which will pretty much limit you to rv parks.

We "half-time" by spending May through October on the Oregon coast and the rest of the year at our home in Southern California. We started out with a 36 Safari and at first it was great. However, after a couple of months, I swore that mh would get smaller and smaller. Plus the small combo washer just wasn't big enough to handle more than a day's worth of dirty clothes. In addition, the queen size bed (we have a Cal King at home) created some sleeping problems as did the small shower.

So after five years with this coach, we decided that since we were going to continue this life style, we would need to get something larger and more home like; hence, our new 42' Tiffin Phaeton. It has a fireplace, dishwasher, stacked washer/dryer, king size bed, dual lounge chairs, 42" tv, big kitchen counters, bath and a half, and lots and lots of storage.

So, my point is, try to figure out what you really want for a motor home based on your current and future needs, plans, and requirements. Look and drive many different rigs to see which you prefer to drive. Keep in mind that many states require a special license for driving rigs that are OVER 26000 lbs and/or 40' long.

Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I have been fulltiming for several years now. This is my third coach and I hope my last.

Don't limit your search to your local area. Be willing to travel. We drove 1200 miles to buy this coach this past May. Found it through a online search of "2011 40U" in Ft Myers, FL.

I hope my comments are helpful. Happy trails and happy hunting.

Rick
My situation is similar to the PO but we have a few years before I can retire. I have to admit I would be nervous about making a commitment to a coach I have not stepped into though I have seen many people have commented about traveling to pick up their 'new' coach. How did you do it? :-)

Thanks,

Lindsay
Old 11-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
A lot will depend on your budget. There isn't much point in discussing $300,000 motorhomes if you're looking to spend $50,000 and vice versa. For long term and full time use, I would think that the floor plan would be a priority. A tight floor plan will tend to get claustrophobic after a week.

You'll want to consider what amenities you need. A washer and dryer, residential refrigerator, and king bed might be important, etc. We really like the Tour 42QD because it's the most like a home on wheels.

Hi kjburns, thanks for your input. . We are definitely looking into it being our home so definitely in the 300K+ area!!!
We are definitely looking for a spacious floor plan (a maximized one) while considering all that we feel we'd need.
I have actually seen videos of the TOUR 42QD and it is lovely!
We are heading to Lazydays in a couple of weeks and cannot wait to check into all of them, ride in and drive them.
We are very excited and are thankful for all the input here as we are coming up with more questions as we go along!
Again, thank you!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHAFER View Post
You will need a good size kitchen with a lot of counter space if you plan to live in the unit. also storage is important. Do you plan to have a full hookup at all times or will you be boondocking occasionally? We are on our third motorhome and have found one suitable for living in for four months of the year while mostly boondocking. It's a Winnebago Adventurer, 36' with three slides. We are limited to 36' due to parking at home. Wishing you the best of luck!

Hi LEHAFER!
We definitely want a good sized kitchen and lots of storage. We recognize the importance of both especially we are planning on it being our home!!!! I do not believe we plan on being hooked up at all times. We like the idea of boondocking now and again. I think that just adds to the adventure of it all! Thank you for sharing your information, we are heading to Lazydays in December to check out all they have to offer! Which we know is a wealth of inventory!!!
Thank you for your good luck wishes. I'm sure we will come back with a new wealth of questions and lots to share!!!!
Cheers,
Karen & Mike
Old 11-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Clothes closets, dressers, etc that will suffice for the weekend trip may not be good enough for full time living. If you like to attend formal events then a closet that will allow the hanging of a few formal gowns will be a consideration. Do you like home cooking or prefer eating out? Any hobies to consider? Fishing gear, folding boat? Wilderness camping requiring larger battery banks, propane, fresh water and holding tanks? Possibly upgraded solar. Tools and such, if your handy and do your own maintenance then you need places and weight capacity to carry your tools.
Hi NeilV!
Thank you for sharing all the information you did! We will certainly consider all that you have shared, good points!!!!
We are off to Lazydays in mid December to check their inventory out!
I'm sure we will be back up n here asking more questions and seeking good advice from all you fine people!
Thanks again,
Karen & Mike
Old 11-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

We really like our Itasca Ellipse 42 QD.

Pros-a lot
Cons-none I can really think off.

Been living in our QD for 3 months, and so far, very comfortable and roomy.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote