Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi All, I thought I would ask you all this question. We took our new 40 KD Ellipse to the beach for 4 day of a shack down trip. When we arrived in our space I set the air break, turned off the engine, operated the auto leveling system and then slid out the left , then right and bedroom slides, all went well. The trouble started when it was time to come home. I slid in the bed room, then the left slide and then the right one, the right slide (couch and kitchen) would no close all the way only about 80% so after trying to slide it out again it would not go out either. I though well great going to look funny driving home with the slide out part way. So I decided to un-level and try to slide the slid in and that worked! Question I was taught that the coach should be leveled before sliding the slides, is this not correct?

Sorry for the long story.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40KD
CaptainCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi All, I thought I would ask you all this question. We took our new 40 KD Ellipse to the beach for 4 day of a shack down trip. When we arrived in our space I set the air break, turned off the engine, operated the auto leveling system and then slid out the left , then right and bedroom slides, all went well. The trouble started when it was time to come home. I slid in the bed room, then the left slide and then the right one, the right slide (couch and kitchen) would no close all the way only about 80% so after trying to slide it out again it would not go out either. I though well great going to look funny driving home with the slide out part way. So I decided to un-level and try to slide the slid in and that worked! Question I was taught that the coach should be leveled before sliding the slides, is this not correct?

Sorry for the long story.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40KD
Old 07-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mike-N-Sally,

Welcome to the forum.com and congratulations on the purchase of your new Ellipse.

Winnebago does recommend leveling the coach first before deploying the slides, and the same holds true for retracting the slides (retract slides first before retracting your jacks). This helps in keeping the stresses off the slide mechanisms.

Something doesn't sound right relative to the operation of your slides. I would have your dealer check it out.

Enjoy your new coach! We all have our first year problems in the new coaches. Part of the honor of owning a new coach!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Pusherman, thought I didn't remember the steps right. I will have it checked out.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40KD
Old 07-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Just a wild guess but maybe you are low on hydraulic fluid and by raising the jacks you put fluid back into the tank that could then be used by the slide pistons.

Good luck,
Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Your hydraulic tank will be the lowest with all slides extended and the jacks down. Bringing in all but one slide should have put more than ample fluid in the tank.

Did you find a leak on any of the cylinders?

When you were unlevel, was it tilted so that the slide was helped by gravity to the side or let it out of a bind?

Ken
Old 07-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

PeteB and TXiceman, thanks for the hints, I'll check the fluid. No the coach was level left to right and just a little down in the front.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40KD