Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #1

Shotgun Kwikee motor and gear box.

Winnie, 2002 Adventure 32 ft. on W-20 chassis, 8.1 chev.
The steps (2 steps) have finally gave up the ghost.
I want to R&R said components, being motor and gear box.
Best model # Series 32, is what I get.
I am looking for the most heavy duty parts to replace the 2 step
model with. As I can replace said components on Amazon for
less than $150. I guess my question is can I get BETTER parts
if I spend MORE money? THANKS for any input.....coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can spend more money, but I doubt you will get better parts if the parts are made by Kwikee. I just ordered a new door switch for my Kwikee steps from Amazon, and it was a couple bucks cheaper for the same part from etailer.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:34 PM   #3

A great deal of what Amazon sells are knockoff made in and sold directly from China. A sure giveaway is the language used on the webpage. IMO they are not made to the original mfgrs. standards.
Through the years I have determined one really does get what they pay for.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
You can spend more money, but I doubt you will get better parts if the parts are made by Kwikee. I just ordered a new door switch for my Kwikee steps from Amazon, and it was a couple bucks cheaper for the same part from etailer.

Preventative action can greatly reduce operation problems, like monthly lubrication as stated in the owners manual. Monthly inspection for loose, bent, binding moving parts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced my motor and gear box with a 50 dollar part from Amazon. Works great.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:06 PM   #6

Just today I removed the motor from mine and got what looks
like a direct replacement for less than $50. due the 25.
Could not see anything obvious with the gears.
If I still have a problem I will order the gear box....coopcolt
Old 08-24-2022, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopcolt View Post
Just today I removed the motor from mine and got what looks
like a direct replacement for less than $50. due the 25.
Could not see anything obvious with the gears.
If I still have a problem I will order the gear box....coopcolt
But if you are just replacing part cuz "it don't work" without determining the cause... you may be paying more to get it working.
Had you determined why "it don't work"? Could be wiring, fuse, motor, gears, control....
If you wanted "R & R", maybe replacing the 20yo steps completely would be cheaper??
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:27 AM   #8

oldWEB, 10/20 yrs. ago I have removed window motor cleaned/lubed said motor. But today at 77 and one heart attack later, I take a new prospective
at a lot of things. R&R has about a 90% chance of fixing my problem, and
that is about a 10 min. job. Thanks heavens $50. does not mean as much
today as it did 20 yrs. ago. Back in the day it was a challenge, today it is a
job.......That is my thinking at this time in life.....coopcolt
Old 08-29-2022, 07:35 AM   #9

On our Kwikee steps on a 2018 Winnebago Vista I did the after marked motor replacement and that worked great for about 10 cycles. Then back to skipping when extending the steps, but fine on retraction.

No stripped gears. Talked with Lippert and they said while it's rare maybe the controller, so I got a new controller but same issue. Then just in case I ordered an OEM motor assy. That still failed.

It turns out that for whatever reason when extending the motor wasn't hitting the current trip point for the Lippert controller. So it would keep trying to run the motor until the safety timeout hit on the controller. I believe that the way the plastic gear is cut causes it to be more likely to skip when extending.

Talked with the local RV shop and they said many times they have to to through 3 or 4 motors before they get one that works reliably.

So what I did was designed a secondary controller and a limit switch. When the steps are fully extended and locked the limit switch triggers my controller which via a high current relay removes power from the step motor. There's more details, but this fix has been working reliably for several months and many miles of travel. IMHO these steps should have had an actual limit switch instead of relying on the current sensing.

A lot of people have had success with the after market motor/gear assy. These are actually power window motor/gear assys, so there is no real magic compared to the OEM version.
burt6274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:04 PM   #10

At my house, I cannot get the Class A in the back lane so I park on the street. I had been caught a few times opening the door and the step runs into the curb then stops. Close the door and they retract. No damage due to the current limit operating like it should. I now 'always' disable the door switch before opening the door at home.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:49 AM   #11

Why me lord?? My 10 min job turned into a 10 day job.
Ordered one form Amazon, the gear than is remove from
the old motor would not seat on the New motor. Likely the
machining of the China gear. So I took the old gear that
I have to reuse, and put in in the freezer. Close but no cigar.
Sent it back and ordered another from Amazon. Same problem.
So I took BOTH apart and swapped both gears. When I opened
the new gear box, NO grease in the gears.
It is up and running with a $42. China motor......coopcolt

Tags
kwikee, motor