Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Greetings everyone,

I noticed back a few months ago that the white plastic skylight had some cracks in it. Has anyone replaced one of these before or had this problem?

Also, it has seems to leak a small amount of rain and that has stained the fabric of the ceiling in the shower. Does anyone know of a product to clean that fabric? Would the water spot remover used for ceilings in a house work?

Thanks!
W4TDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Greetings everyone,

I noticed back a few months ago that the white plastic skylight had some cracks in it. Has anyone replaced one of these before or had this problem?

Also, it has seems to leak a small amount of rain and that has stained the fabric of the ceiling in the shower. Does anyone know of a product to clean that fabric? Would the water spot remover used for ceilings in a house work?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I cleaned the ceiling with oxy clean and that worked fine. As far as replacing the skylight I did not do that. I did seal over the cracks using fiberglass mesh tape and white silcone caulking. I took the inside framing down and place the tape in the corners and covered with the caulk. I then went onto the roof and sealed the exterior the same way. No leaks so far.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

In the first year of ownership I had to replace my skylight over the shower 3 times. The first two cracked at the corner. The 3rd skylight has been OK for over 3 years now. Winnebago replaced them all under warranty. I was told the problem was over tightening of the mounting screws. They changed the mounting system and it has been good since.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

As an update I ordered a new skylight for about $80, got a large tube of self leveling caulk. I then removed the old skylight and carefully cleaned the area. caulked it up and put the new skylight in place. I wasn't that pleased with the 4 clamps that hold down the corners of the skylight because they use number 8 or 10 3/4 inch wood screws. But I put then back on with new screws and then put a thick coat of caulk around the edge.

That was 2 days ago. Last night and continuing today we've had heavy rain storms. So far so good with no evident leaks.

Thanks to all who replied.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:27 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Thanks for the update. Where did you get the skylight? I remember WI quoting me $200 plus for the skylight itself plus installation. What kind of caulk did you use? I noticed that cracks in my skylight all originate from the screws, so maybe using the caulk as cusion will stop the problem. Thanks again for the info.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi Dirk,

The part I ordered is the outside half of the skylight or exterior portion. I got it from :

http://www.mobilityrv.com

This is the second time I've bought parts for my Adventurer from them and I've been pleased both times.

My skylight was attached to the roof with a curved clamp or bracket at each corner which has three 3/4 wood screws holding it into the roof of the coach. So there may be soe slight differnces from the 2000 model to the 2002 model 35U. The cracks in my skylight were between the clamps on the toward the front and back of the coach.

I did put a large bead of caulk under both the skylight lip and the clamps. But that was how the old one was installed as well. I got the caulk I used at Home Depot. The brand name is Sika and it's called Sikaflex Self Leveling Sealant. They only had it in a gray and a beige color so I used the gray since it's out of sight anyway. I'd have perfered white, oh well.

The new skylight got a heck of a test last night because we had major rain storms here. So far so good
Old 08-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Doing a search, found this old thread.

My shower skylight has been leaking. Just noticed some stains. Removing the inner dome revelaed that it's been leaking quite bad. I see no cracks or other obvious water intrusion paths. Only thing I can figure at this point is that the sealant isn't bonded to the dome. There's a couple areas where it's clearly loose at the end of the sealant. Gotta get out a hose and see. It's clearly wet inside from the light rain yesterday. Arghhh...

Reading above, it sounds like the outer dome is screwed down at the corners? It look like it was set in place, then caulked. There's no sealant visible inside like I'd expect if a bead was laid down first.

Gotta read the 10 year roof warranty, this isn't a roof problem exactly, but it is on the roof, and a 3 year old motorhome ought not to be leaking. The damage to the luan underlayment is pretty bad, but I guess I'll have to live with it, at least it'll be dry once it's fixed. I inspect the roof regularily, all the sealant around the vents and such looks good. I need to look closer to see if there's anyplace else it didn't bond right.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote