Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sightseer Engine Battery Dead

We have a 2008 Sightseer on our front lawn plugged in to a 20A plug with adapter. The last time I drove it was last April, our first trip. Today when I opened the door the steps did not come out. The step switch was on but nothing happened. I climbed inside and checked several 12 volt circuits, lights , fans, tv and all worked. I checked the owners manual and the supplement but only found a complicated troubleshooting list that required a pigtail connector. I searched for a marked fuse but didn't find one. ( I couldn't get in position to see the fuses to the left of the drivers seat under the dash) in desperation I tried to start the engine gut nothing happened. More head scratching and manual reading lead me to use the battery boost switch to get a jump from the house batteries. Finally the engine started and the steps came out. If being plugged in doesn't charge the engine battery, and I don't want to leave the steps out while preparing our MH for full timing how do I keep the engine battery charged? Can I use a battery tender plugged into the coach 110 circuit to maintain charge, as long as the MH is plugged in to shore power?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

I have a Trik-L-Start on mine and I notice on looking at recent threads on this and other forums, that product now has an upgraded model called Amp-L-Start that probably is the best value compared to other similar products.

If you install an Amp-L-Start, you won't have to worry about hooking up a separate charger on the chassis battery.

LSL Amp-L-Start website
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, Theroc, looks like a worthwhile project for me.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #4

MH generally has two batteries. One for the engine one for the house. Egine batteries usually are not charged via the converter. Replace the engine battery
Old 07-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

The answer to your question (battery tender) is yes. You can hook one up to the battery and plug in to coach power.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

Flanagan
You are correct in that on many models being plugged into shore power will maintain your 'house' batteries but does not maintain your 'engine' battery. You can do a search on this forum and find detailed instructions on a permanent installation of a trickle charger. On the other hand if your Sightseer has a 12 volt power outlet running off your engine battery (like an old fashioned cigarette lighter) you can simply plug a 2 amp trickle charger into this outlet while your rig is parked and plugged into shore power. Using this method I have been successful in keeping my engine battery alive for 6+ years. Frankly, the best way to keep your engine battery charged is to drive your rig more often; and heck it's fun too!
If you do go with a 2 amp charger I would suggest you invest in a medium to good quality product. If you do some reading you'll see lots of stories of batteries being 'cooked' by cheaper units that don't read the battery condition and vary the charging rate.

Good Luck!