Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
RJK

Skylight leak?

Looking for Help.

I found water on the clg area around the skylight over the shower stall. I replaced the skylight two years ago and it went well I've have had no problems till now.I removed the inner skylight to find the problem. What I found as a large amount of Moisture hang from and runnig off of the inside of the outer skylight. Water was laying on the roof ledge around the inside of the roof skylight then running down to the clg causing the water problem on the wood panel and clg mat'l. I just found the problem and have no soultion at this time.

Weather___ alot of rain here in St. Augustin FL 50/65 deg's very humid.

My thought is to some how ventilate the confind space...

Suggestion please..

Ron
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First thing to do is make sure there is no water intrusion from the roof ...perhaps reseal the area. If its moisture condensation from within then the inner piece must be letting moisture by...somehow try to seal it...is there a bathroom fan nearby that could be run when showering. We always leave all the vents cracked to wide open depending on the weather
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #3

I've had the same leaking skylight issue on a new motor home. Mine was resealed three times and still leaked . About six months ago I removed the inner skylight and found the same situation as you. About two months ago my son and I removed the skylight along with all the existing sealant on the skylight and roof, then reinstalled the skylight. We've had a fair amount of rain since then and haven't seen any signs of leaks. A couple of weeks ago I reinstalled the inner skylight. I'm hoping the leaking issue is resolved.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #4

I had the same problem with my Fleetwood Bounder. While the condensation between the inside and outside parts of the skylight seemed to be the problem at first, the source of the moisture that condensed in there was actually from a small outside leak. The lap sealant had lost adhesion to the smooth plastic outside skylight panel over time in some spots (i could easily peel it away with no sticky resistance) and found some small cracks in the skylight plastic radiating out from the mounting screws. It looked like the cracks were there from when the screws were installed during manufacture and they just sealed them with lap sealant which worked fine for nine years. I ordered a new skylight fixture from Fleetwood and installed it this past weekend. Sealed it up with lots of Dicor lap sealant and it is good to go. Since the inside assembly comes with the outside panel from the supplier, I installed a sheet of smoke window tinting material on the backside of the inside assembly to tame the brightness as we typically don't like to wake up at sunrise.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
RJK

Thank you for the replies. The problem is definetly condensation, when I removed the inner skylight I had to dry the very top inside of the outer skylight with a tile. There were BIG drops of water hanging from the top inside. If it were a leak around the seal to the roof I don't know how the water would accumulate on the top inside of the skylight. With the Btm skylight off I don't think the condensation would build up. We to run the exh. fan when using the shower.The bummer is to check it I have to reinstall in inner light then remove it again to see/find the promblem. It may take some trail and error but will give it a try by attaching it with only 4 scews.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak