Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

Slide hanging up

The dinette end of the slide on my 2004 Adventurer is hanging up on the way out. At the moment it begins to settle downward it looks like it is hanging up on the bar that holds the carpet in place under the slide. The carpet bar is getting twisted and hanging up on the edge of the floor just before it drops over the edge. It is looking a little twisted but I have no idea how one would get under there to straighten it or replace it? Do any of you Winnie experts have any experience with this?

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Any chance you are going to GNR. I think you need a service call to fix that problem. If not I would contact your dealer, or if you are lucky to have a repair person near by, and have that fixed ASAP. It is usually more of a problem than something you can fix yourself.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #3

There is no "bar" that holds the carpet down. The carpet is glued to an extrusion that is pretty bulky, I don' that has been damaged. There is a small bar on the bottom side of the slide that holds the slide carpet around the nose of the slide though, maybe that's what you're seeing? When the slide is all the way out, you can just get at this strap from underneath. It has screws every 8" or so.

Have you seen the threads on the slide guide/support blocks that go bad? When they go, the slide will drop a little. That could be the root of your problem.

(My slide tore up my carpet after it started coming unglued. I've recarpeted and in doing so hyper-extended the slide, so I'm pretty familiar with it. A little hard to describe though.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #4

Yes it is the bar that you speak of under the nose of the slide that I was speaking about. My carpet as well started coming undone and bunched up and the slide seems to be coming down too soon and causing issues. I have decided to replace the carpet with the original vinyl that is in the kitchen but I must first find the problem with the slide.
Threads that go bad on the guide support blocks? This sounds like a possible cause of my problems. Can you tell me more about this so I can see if this is it?

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two issues here. One is the slide support blocks that can normally be seen if you go outside and look under your slide-out. For details on this, enter the key words "slide support blocks" (without the quotes) into the forum's search option. You'll see a thread (a discussion) on these supports.

The second issue is the bottom of the slide-out room floor. Typically, you'll find "shoes" that are used to help the slide-out move over the carpeted floor. There's also a nose which is simply a half-round piece of wood that is attached to the leading edge of your slide-out floor. The nose is used to wrap the carpeting around the front of your slide-out floor (give a neater appearance). They are often used on carpeted stairs.

If your slide-out room is moving okay and seems to be adequately supported from the outside, it is probably the shoes or the nose that is falling off and catching on your carpet. I would call Winnebago and get their input. They can also tell you how to jack up the slide-out room (from the inside) to access the space underneath. Do not jack up the slide-out room on your own without getting their input first. Things can go bad quickly if you don't know what you're doing. Take my word for it. Start there and let us know how things go. Before long, you'll be right as rain.

Jack