Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Slide Motor Location and Access

On our 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U the large driver side slide is not working and the error code is 1 green, 5 red. The manual says this is "No signal or sensor wire". I'm looking for the location of these motors and sensors.

The front most rail is in front of the propane tank/water pump compartment and behind the gas fill basically giving me no access that I can find.

The rear rail is between the large center compartment and the water bay, directly above the inverter. Again there doesn't seem to be any access.

Thankfully the slide is stuck in the "in" position so we can travel and are fine. However, I would like to see what I can do myself as we do full time and where we are currently located (Three Forks, MT), there are no mobile techs available.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2021, 09:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Has no one here had a slide issue and wondered how to access the motors?
Old 07-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #3

Have you reset the controller?
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:02 PM   #4

Eric,

I have an Itasca 42E with the same problem. Except my fault code is 4 red and 1 green. Manual suggests the same type of possible issues and I suspect that I need to access the motors. And like you, our slide is closed.

Have you found a solution? I am planning on calling Winnebago and/or Power Gear Monday morning. But, like you I was hoping for suggestions via this Forum.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:27 PM   #5

Grand Design Owners Club
Mine is a schwintek, now Lippert system. It has the squiggle track mounted to the sides of the slide out.

If yours is the same system the motors are behind the seal at the top. There some good videos on YouTube that speak to troubleshooting this system and show how to access and remove the motors. It may be both simpler and yet harder that you might think.

Look behind the “D” seal running up the wall and chances are the wire is there. You can unplug the wire from the motor without removing the motor to do continuity checks on the wire.

If you have more than one slide you can swap controllers to rule out a controller issue.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
Have you reset the controller?

I don’t know how…any suggestions?
Old 07-27-2021, 04:32 AM   #7

You need that slide extended to access the motors. Once out they are in plain view inside below the extended rails.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:09 AM   #8

I have a 2011 with the Power Gear electric motors. To override the controller I remove the remote display and on the backside there's a button, hold it down for a few seconds and then the "In" button on the display controls the front motor and the "Out" button controls the rear motor.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #9

I had this happen on my 2011 Journey and found that one of the slide locks was stuck closed. This prevents power to the slide motor. The slide lock motor worm gear lube had deteriorated with age and the slide lock motor couldn’t move it. Cleaned the gear and applied a non-seizing lube. Fixed it, but had to repeat the process on the 2nd slide lock a couple of years later. You will have to remove the slide lock motor assembly, which is difficult the 1st time, but easier on the 2nd . The slide motor, which moves the slide, was not involved.
Hardtrvln
2011 Winnebago Journey 34Y
HardTrvln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekuiper View Post
On our 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U the large driver side slide is not working and the error code is 1 green, 5 red. The manual says this is "No signal or sensor wire". I'm looking for the location of these motors and sensors.

The front most rail is in front of the propane tank/water pump compartment and behind the gas fill basically giving me no access that I can find.

The rear rail is between the large center compartment and the water bay, directly above the inverter. Again there doesn't seem to be any access.

Thankfully the slide is stuck in the "in" position so we can travel and are fine. However, I would like to see what I can do myself as we do full time and where we are currently located (Three Forks, MT), there are no mobile techs available.
My coach is a much older 2005 Itasca Meridian 34H, but had the same problem in that the slides would not move out. It turned out to be the connector going into the control box (mine is underneath, towards the front). The cable was unsupported, except for by the plug pins, which must have worn enough to not make good contact. I was able to pull the plug in harder against the box and also better support it with an assortment of long, strategically placed zip ties. No problems since. Has been two years.

A quick diagnose would be to get under the coach and wiggle the plug while your co-driver worked the slide switch to see if any contact can be made. Is how I found it.
ExitStrategy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekuiper View Post

Your in luck. Just had this same problem the other day. Here is what I did.
With the slide key ON:

Remove the 4 screws holding the controller in place.

Push and hold the reset button until the 2 LEDs on the top left front start flashing.
Then I operated the lock to make certain it was in the unlock position.
I pushed the IN button and nothing happened.
(Directions in Book 2 of the operation manual left confusion for me.)
I started the engine to charge the air brakes. When charged I shut it off.
I shut the slide key off and turned it back on.
I had no alarm. The slide came in as usual.
Shear luck? Don't know. What step I did that cleared the problem is beyond my comprehension. The results is all that counts.
Hope this works for you.
Happy trails....Rick
(PS: We love or 40U. Wonderful and reliable home for us.)

Tags
cat, motor, slide, slide motor