Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
Slide Out Topper issue

I have a 2016 Adventurer 37F. The slide topper on the passenger side bedroom slide has come loose from the wall of the coach. It appears to be mounted in a slot under the gutter and has come loose for three feet or so in the middle. The ends are still attached so the topper rolls out okay but sags in the middle and collects rain water and tree debris. The topper material is in good condition so I don't need a new one if I can reattached this one. Can anyone tell me how to reattach the topper to the coach? I appreciate any advice on how to do it.
HRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2022, 09:22 AM   #2

So I understand; the bead along the edge of the topper material has came out of the ""C" channel, right? That bead is a sewn-in rope.
The only way that can happen is the topper bead has shrank or the "C" channel has opened up some.
Determine which scenario has happened, by measuring the "C" channel opening every foot of length. If the slot opening is the same from one end to the other, the topper bead is the problem.
If the C channel opening has widened, either reform it back to its original opening or install a new section of "C" channel.

Regardless of which scenario happened, the only way to get the topper bead back into the "C" channel is to remove the topper and begin just like installing new material.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you will find that the sewn "hem" (in which a rubber bead is located) has become undone. With the "hem" failing, the material comes out from the "C" channel.

When attending a rally some years back (in my Monaco), the IRV2 -guys that I hooked-up with in Quartzsite had a heavy-duty sewing machine ... repairing the poorly sewn hem in our slide-toppers where the topper material was still in good shape. If you take your rig into a shop for "repair" of your topper, you will learn that the shop will require the purchase of a new topper (they are not willing to sew a new hem into the topper).
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to Robi and Ray for your replies. You have identified the problem. There is no bead along the edge that came loose. Do you have any secrets on installing a slide topper or just the fabric that would make it easier.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #5

This company has videos of replacement installation and sell the material: https://www.toughtopawnings.com/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The same thing happened on my 37f. After watching a few YouTube videos, I removed the slide topper, turned the cover 180 so the good seam was against the RV, not rolled up on the slide out. I then just removed the small bead and put in the side going on the roller. I just stapled the bad seam together, as it now sits under 3 rolls of tarp anyhow! Works great.
Iceman-31D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF View Post
I have a 2016 Adventurer 37F. The slide topper on the passenger side bedroom slide has come loose from the wall of the coach. It appears to be mounted in a slot under the gutter and has come loose for three feet or so in the middle. The ends are still attached so the topper rolls out okay but sags in the middle and collects rain water and tree debris. The topper material is in good condition so I don't need a new one if I can reattached this one. Can anyone tell me how to reattach the topper to the coach? I appreciate any advice on how to do it.
I have had to remove all of my toppers at one time or another over the years. It is no big deal if done correctly.

In your case it almost sounds like the channel cord is separated in the middle and has worked out on the ends leaving the center without support.
With the slide fully extended, remove the roller end covers if you have them. Take a long cotter pin and push it though the securing hole on the spring end of the topper roll. I use large channel locks to help turn the roll bar enough to get the pin to go through and through. The tension should keep it in place but a slight tweak to the end of the cotter pin is a good idea. I run the slide in a tad bit if the tension of the topper is not slack enough.
The roof channel has a couple of screws that are supposed to hold the topper rope secure. The grip often fails and lets the filler rod move out of the material, as you will find. Remove the screws and remove the topper by sliding it out of the channels at the roller and the roof.
I suggest that you go to the topper manufacture's site for the full instructions as to this procedure. It might help you understand what I have said a bit better.
Depending on the size of the cord, you may be able to find a replacement in the screen window repair section of a big box store. The size if this stuff is needs to be on the money for best results.
Once you get the new cord through, or shove the old one back in the topper, and have the topper re-installed, you may consider using more than one screw on each end to fasten the cord. Even a stitch or glue at the ends to close the material hole is not a bad idea.
It is best to have 2 ladders and 2 people to do this job.

Hope it goes well for you.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Rick
Old 11-23-2022, 08:33 PM   #8
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks especially to ICEMAN and jerichorick for your fix-it-myself replies. Both excellent ideas.

Tags
slide, slide out