Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to needlenoses
Slow To Retract Legs on a 2004 Adventurer

A friend down of ours has a 2004 Adventurer WFG37G with multiple issues. One of concern is the fact that his hydrolic levelers are extremely slow in retracting. It can take up to 30 minutes for a full retract. Neither of us know much about this system including the location of the fluid reservoirs. Any help to get us start with this issue would be appreciated. We have cleaned off the pistons and given them a light coating of oil. We don't see any visual sign of leakage.
needlenoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There should be a black bag that has Winnebago written on it with all the information about maintaining and adjusting the levelers along with all other systems on the coach.

That said the levelers could be slow retracting because someone put motor oil instead of hydraulic fluid in the resevoire usually located under the hood just behind the front bumper. The rams could have a buildup of dried silicone spray on them and need to be cleaned (PbBlast Garage Door Track lube available at Home Depot sometimes helps). The electrical connections on the release solenoids is weak and not pulling them back completely, they are defective or the orifice in them is partially blocked. Someone released the parking brake and tried to drive off before the jacks were retracted and damaged the rams so that they now stick.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by needlenoses View Post
A friend down of ours has a 2004 Adventurer WFG37G with multiple issues. One of concern is the fact that his hydrolic levelers are extremely slow in retracting. It can take up to 30 minutes for a full retract. Neither of us know much about this system including the location of the fluid reservoirs. Any help to get us start with this issue would be appreciated. We have cleaned off the pistons and given them a light coating of oil. We don't see any visual sign of leakage.
I have a Holiday Rambler that had a similar problem With the legs in the EXTENDED FULLY DOWN position, rub the exposed piston with transmission fluid. Then withdraw and extend the legs a time or two. Repeat process. That should clear it up. Sometimes grime builds up on the piston and this method will clean them. Other than that, your other choice is to replace the retractor springs which DO stretch over time. Hope this works for you.
joeb1943.910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Could be just that the Springs have seekedned and need replaced
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Itasca Meridian 36G

Winnebago has a maintenance posting about the time it takes to retract jacks on their web site. It is temperature dependent as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

On my previous 2003 Chieftain I had a similar problem. I made an appointment at the HWH factory in Moscow, IA. They found one bad ram on a jack and replaced that. They also replaced the springs with a newer and stronger spring. If I remember correctly the new springs are tapered at each end. That solved my problem. It can take a lot longer when it is cold because the hydraulic oil gets much thicker. On my present Horizon when it is cold it may take mine about 7 minutes to retract. in the summer when I start the engine I retract the jacks and and the jacks have retracted by the time the air pressure has built up to normal.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had some problems when we bought our Winnebago with slow HWH jack retraction. Particularly with the rear ones.

Then I extended them once onto a parking curb and tacoed them.

We replaced springs all away around with updated version and the rear plates.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss
We had some problems when we bought our Winnebago with slow HWH jack retraction. Particularly with the rear ones.

Then I extended them once onto a parking curb and tacoed them.

We replaced springs all away around with updated version and the rear plates.
This is what Don and Sandee's looked like when tacoed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3509005027.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	639.6 KB
ID:	32034
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
This is what Don and Sandee's looked like when tacoed.
FUNNY! Great timing too...LUNCH TIME!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to needlenoses
Sorry for delay in getting back; no internet now for some time; not great even now. I will pass this list of ideas on to the owner. Might make him read the manuals. That would sure help. Thanks much; sent to you from Yuma AZ. Out of here on Wednesday.
needlenoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

If you're someplace cold retraction time can take up to 30 minutes to retract because the fluid thickens and its ability to flow is hampered.

Try the transmission fluid on a rag and wipe down the pistons. That will probably help a lot. New, stronger springs are tapered on each end.

Run the pump to lower them and listen to where the pump noise is coming from. Reservoir should be close to that.

Check fluid level with all jacks up and all slide outs "IN". Don't overfill or a big mess to cleanup.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

On the Winnebago Industries website, under Resources, "Service Tips" there is a link to an articled titled "Care of HWH Jacks." It's number 2010-08. The link is: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...WH%20Jacks.pdf

We had one jack that was taking up to 15 minutes to retract in cold weather (below 40 degrees). We used the WD-40 remedy described in that article and now the jack comes up in less than a minute.
WantaWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote