Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Smart Energy Management system not reading 50 amp power

2006 Winnebago Journey with Onan 7500 QD generator.

I have been having occasional problems with my Intellitec Smart Energy Management System remote monitor panel not reading that I am on 50 amp power when plugged into 50 amp power. The panel correctly reads when I run the generator.

As an example, right now I am plugged into 50 amp power. My Progressive EMS system tells me that I am hooked up to good 50 amp power, with line voltages on each leg. I was able to test the voltage at the plug and it indeed reads 240 volts across the two hot legs.

I was able to run the A/C and other loads (lights, TV and residential refer) and the progressive unit shows me that I am drawing 15 - 24 amps on line 2, zero amps on line one. I then plugged in the washer dryer combo unit and turned the dryer on, the progressive unit shows that I was drawing approximately 10 amps on line 1 when the heating element is in drying mode. At all times the Smart Energy Management System shows that I am on 30 amp power and drawing whatever voltage line 2 is pulling unless I am running the generator, then it shows generator mode and the varying voltage based on the load. It is not yet shedding any loads, but I have not tried to push the total load over 30 amps. It is not showing any change in load based on starting up the washer/dryer.

Thoughts on what I should look for/do?

Clayton
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Make sure all your breakers are on, the EMS uses 1 breaker to provide power to the load center. Mine was doing the same thing last time we were out. I was hooked to 50 amps, showing 30 but I was running both AC's, water heater etc. Not showing the correct amps.

Checked and one of my breakers was off, flipped it on and it showed I was hooked to 50 amp and started showing correct amps.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problems, in the bedroom at the foot of the bed there is an electrical panel. In there you find a circuit board with some burned out resistors. There was some pictures on this site at one time that was how I found out. The board cost about $225 used but you can buy the resistors for .05 each and you will need 4 but you need to buy them in lots of 100 so I still have 96.
If you find out you have this problem let me know I will look for the pictures I took before and after. I soldered the new one in.
hope this helps.
dlan603
dlan603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

The Smart Energy Management System has a limit function that will limit the coach to 30 amps. I can't remember the exact button, but one button on the panel toggles the system from 50 amps to 30 and back. I had the same issue and it frustrated me the no end until I found this feature.
Buzsaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Update:

After driving 500 more miles today, pulled into the campground for the evening. Did a cold reset of everything. Powered off all power, disconnected both house and chassis batteries, not plugged in, turned off all breakers for both load panel and main 120 volt panel. Waited about 30 seconds, then turned each breaker in both power panels, reconnected chassis batteries and then house batteries, then turned on the power at the pedestal. After doing all that, still no change to what is being displayed, still says 30 amps. As I am currently on the road, I think I may wait till the end of this trip to take apart the panel to get to the circuit board and look for the blown resistors.

The only button on my display panel allows me to manually move the service type from the 30 amp that now always initially shows up down to 20amp if limited to 20amp service. I also can not find anything in the operating manual about moving the service level up from 30 to 50 amp.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

As mentioned, turn on all circuit breakers. Also plug the washer, dryer back in (don't need to run them) and see if it comes back. I had a similar issue on my rv after the dryer went bad. I don't understand why the ems worked this way but if everything is not properly connected and all cbs turned on you will see these issues.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem with our 2006 Winnebago and it was determined that the circuit board that controls the ems was bad. It is located in the breaker panel. I found new ones at Colaw Salvage for $100.00 and changed it out in about 20 minutes. It works fine now.
BobnMelba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I will look for the pictures I took of my board before and after the repair. You will be able to see the burn out resisters and I fixed them with new ones.
Dlan603
Old 06-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I also had the same issue with my coach, if you search back around October 2014 you will find a lengthy thread where many experts provided me with excellent advice. Bottom line it is the circuit board as others have mentioned. I bought a new one on line from intellitic for around $100.00 There is a way to reset the board, I suggest you call intellitic and they will walk you through the rest procedure;however if it is the board the rest will not hold. It is easy to replace the board,even I managed and I am totally inept at most things, or at least I feel that way when it comes to working on the MH
Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked the actual shore power connection in the Transfer Box to ensure that the shore power cable screws are tight? It sounds like they may be loose and can eventually really mess things up. Mine did back in 2013 and almost cost me my MH. Also chack the strain reliefs on the shore power cable coming into the Tranfer box, make sure they are there and tight.

OH yeah do not do any of these checks wit shore power plugged in or the generator running
Old 06-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Another update from today.

I did a cold reset of all power today. Turned off all battery disconnects (both house and chassis), turned off 50 amp power at breaker, turned off inverter, turned off all circuit breakers and unplugged the EMS display from the connecting cable behind it. Waited 30 minutes, reconnected the EMS cable to the display, flipped all the circuit breakers back to on, turned on chassis batteries, turned on house batteries, then turned 50 amp power at the breaker back on. Still the same result, EMS display shows 30 amps power.

I also have a Progressive power management system, which clearly shows that I am drawing voltages on each side of the 50 amp lines, i.e. normal coach outlets, refrigerator, etc, on line 2 and it also shows the draw from the electric hot water heater on line 1. This tells me that the transfer switch is switching both sides of the 50 amp power and the power is getting into the coach and usable by the indicated loads. Nothing is being shed by the Intellitec EMS system.

I pulled the cover off the load center to check the resistors on the EMS board itself. With 50 amp power applied, one illuminated, one looked like it should, but did not, and the other two resistors looked fine. Should there be two of the resistors illuminated when on 50 amp?

Everything is working fine in the coach, just the EMS display doesn't seem to reflect that the coach is hooked up to 50 amp power, instead it is only reflecting the amps on the one line (line 2) that the system is using versus showing 50amp service with no amp draw.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I agree with catcoach,, I found the information on how to fix the board on this site. As said in a previous post I replaced the resistors with new one a bigger resistor using 4 to replace 8. Here are the pictures. If you know what you are doing and solder contact me. I have 96 left over will be happy to help you.
1. pic 8 burned out resistors,
2. pic Board cleaned soldered and sealed
3. pic power panel under the bed
4. EMS showing 50 amps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150112_092616.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	97517   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150112_125426.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	97518  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_163115.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	97519   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150112_152822.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	97520  

Old 06-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the photos, when I get home from our ongoing trip I will work on this further.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for info on breakers

Thanks jacwjames
Well....I continue to learn. Same problem. EMS indicated 30 amp when plugged into 50A, would only toggle between 20 & 30 amp. I spent an hour checking 50A ckt all ok, then decided to check on iRV2.
I had turned off one 20 amp and one 15 amp breaker labeled Washer/dryer. I don't have W/D so why do I need the breakers on? Silly me. When I turned on one of the breakers the EMF indicated 50A So now that breaker is getting another label.
Also I found out a couple weeks ago the other W/D breaker powers up the converter!!! Need to make another label.
I'v owned this MH for 10 yrs and do my own maintenance. Wow, what other surprises I may be in for.

The 20/15A seems big for converter and EMS.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I think those circuit breakers don't protect the converter and EMS but rather just give them some current to work with. My EMS will indicate 30amp when hooked to 50 amp if the electric water heater circuit breaker is OFF. Go figure!! Glad you found this out before throwing a bunch of cash at it.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:15 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Don't want to hijack the thread, but since the experts are reading this, I have a similar problem.
My EMS reads 50 amps all the time. Everything works electrically, but at home (30 amps) or on the road, it shows 50 amps.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealevel Ram View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread, but since the experts are reading this, I have a similar problem.
My EMS reads 50 amps all the time. Everything works electrically, but at home (30 amps) or on the road, it shows 50 amps.
Forget I posted this.
Went back and read my manual, and think this is normal operation.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to Clayton for starting this thread. I have a 2006 Itasca Meridan 36G that began experiencing this exact same problem. Thanks to everyone that suggested checking the circuit breakers first. Low and behold my water heater circuit breaker was tripped. Reset it and everything is fine.

Wally
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Just wanted to finally update the group regarding my status on this issue. After I got home from our trip late last year, I was able to order a replacement circuit board from Winnebago Parts and installed it. However, until this weekend I had not been a in park with a 50 amp power hook up to see if that fixed the issue. I am happy to be able to say that replacing the board did the trick and now my digital displays are correct.

So now I will take the old board over to my electrical engineering son and have him test the resistors and see if we can turn the old board into a back up.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Wow, ditto, but my front AC breaker!

Had same issue "stuck" on 30 amp, knew had 50 Amp... reading the thread. I had shut down the front AC breaker, since need to replace the dual start/fun cap..that died. So turned the breaker back on, and back to showing 50 amp service!
jimmyp5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power