Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Superex
sofa slide catching on bottom

Does anybody know how to raise the slide slightly to clear the bottom of the opening? The mechanism is in the arms of the couch. There are two adjusting nuts in the basement, not sure what they do? Thanks in advance for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Superex,
I am not an expert but have done the adjustment recently. Before you make an adjustment in slide height you will need to inspect the nylon bushings for the slide beams. See the photo. First the white nylon bushings should not be cracked or have excessive wear otherwise they should be replaced before you make any adjustment. Also inspect the wear on the bushings to see if they are wearing evenly as this might be an indication that the slide is not adjusted properly. If you find that the white nylon bushings still have alot of life left and have relative uniform wear then the first thing I would try is to lubricate the bushings. You may find that the slide sticking goes away once a lubricant is applied. Some lubricants often used for nylon bushings are: Zirc” grease, “REDLINE synthetic” and white lithium grease (“Lubriplate”). I used white lithium grease.
The next thing I would do before adjustment is to inspect the edge of the slide and look for caught debris or something stuck under the slide. The slide has a black plastic "boot" about 4" wide and 8' or longer just under the inside edge of the slide. With the slide partially extended you should be able to rock the top part of the slide backwards while you block the slide edge maybe 1" higher (may take 2 or 3 people). With the slide blocked up you can then better inspect the boot to see if it caught on the carpet or something else.
Now assume that the slide has no obstruction underneath and that the slide still sticks and you decide to make a slide height adjustment presumably because the slide is too low and has excessive friction on the carpet causing the slide to stick (again, althought I have done this I am not an expert and a call to Winnebago should be on your list before you make any adjustment. Also, I am open to critique and suggestions by others who may be more knowlegeable and find fault with my approach.)
I made a slide adjustment even though the lithium grease substantially reduced slide sticking. I made the adjustment of 1/4" upwards in order to provide clearance for the slide because I removed the carpet and added vinyle tile. I have a word file report that documents carpet replacement and will be glad to send it to you if you contact me by email: jimmccreary@comcast.net.
Notice from the photo that each beam has 2 bolts that allow adjustment. Adjustment is made to each bolt by first loosening the lock nut on top and by then making the height adjustment with the lower nut on the same bolt. If your inspection of the beams has revealed that they have uniform wear and you still want to make an adjustment I suggest raising both beams up by the same amount. This is done by adjusting all 4 lower nuts to the same up or down amount. This will avoid a twist on the beams if only one side is adjusted. After a 1/4" adjustment, you must examine the sliding process. The slide should move uniformly and should retract evenly on both sides. For my slide, the top of the slide contacts the coach before the bottom. I have adjusted the height of my slide up to 1/2" upward on both beams and still observed a uniform closure. I think that the maximum upward adjust of my beams could have been almost 3/4". I settled on 1/4" final height adjustment because this gave adequate clearance of the floor.
Hope this helps

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	9681   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide2 closeup.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	9682  

jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Superex
Thank you very much for the good reply jimmccreary. This gives me some things to check, how ever our hardware is much different. We have no exposed beams etc. Everything is inside the arms of the sofa. The bottom of the slide actually catches on the lip of the side. Thanks again.