Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 98 Itasca Spirit 31W Class C with the sofa/dinette hydraulic slide. These are my symptoms:

Get to camping spot, level out and put the slide out (most of the time not connected to shore power) never had a problem either way.

When it's time to leave, i pack everything up, put the key in and turn (not starting of course) then go over to the switch and try to bring the slide back in. It makes no noise and the slide doesn't move.

After messing around a bit and trying to push the slide out button and quickly try to bring it in, it makes a noise like it's out all the way already (duh), but nothing happens when I push the button to bring it back in.

The only way i have been able to bring the slide in is by running the engine for 10 minutes and the slide comes in like nothing is wrong.

Where do i start to find out what the problem is? Batteries going south? connections? I just need to find a starting point, but i do not know where...
Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 98 Itasca Spirit 31W Class C with the sofa/dinette hydraulic slide. These are my symptoms:

Get to camping spot, level out and put the slide out (most of the time not connected to shore power) never had a problem either way.

When it's time to leave, i pack everything up, put the key in and turn (not starting of course) then go over to the switch and try to bring the slide back in. It makes no noise and the slide doesn't move.

After messing around a bit and trying to push the slide out button and quickly try to bring it in, it makes a noise like it's out all the way already (duh), but nothing happens when I push the button to bring it back in.

The only way i have been able to bring the slide in is by running the engine for 10 minutes and the slide comes in like nothing is wrong.

Where do i start to find out what the problem is? Batteries going south? connections? I just need to find a starting point, but i do not know where...
Old 01-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The slides normally are operated by the chassis (engine starting) batteries as opposed to the coach/house batteries, so it might be a good idea to have them checked to ensure they are all they should be. If my engine batteries are weak the slides will not operate, and neither will the leveling jacks. And then if they are not stronge enough to start the engine I have to use the "battery boost" switch to use the coach batteries to get the engine started.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It sounds like your engine battery is getting drawn down too much while you're camped. I start my engine and charge up the battery before pulling in the slides. It's easier on the slide motor and the engine battery. Engine batteries aren't built to be drawn down like a deep cycle coach battery.

The engine battery provides power to the slide motors.

If your plugged in while camping, a Trik L Start would help you.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

chadlyt, welcome to the forum and the Winnebago forum
As you can see people here eager to help.
Enjoy the forums and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

oh my...you'll have to forgive me on that one. I'm used to my old 28' travel trailer.

For some reason, I just was not thinking that the engine battery would be involved in the process...still now sure why that is, but it looks like an easy fix as the battery has never been replaced and i'd like to put an Optima in there
Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Chad, welcome to the forum.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. . I am sure you will like the website and the forum. We hope you will be an active participant. You will find we are a group of fun loving RVers that like to help each other where we can. If you have any questions just ask. Good luck and take care.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

One things our dealer said was to always run the engine when operating the slide outs.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chadlyt:
I put the key in and turn (not starting of course) then go over to the switch and try to bring the slide back in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go ahead and start your engine...that way you can have the alternator do the work if you have run down chassis batteries.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

WE had the same problem on our minnie. it turned out that a plug was not totally seated and caused intermittent shorts. We repluged the plug in and it worked fine. Look at a digram and you will find a plug that fits together. unplug it and replug it together. The plug was under the slide.
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote