Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #1

Talking Step cover and step problems & solutions

First problem, the electric step would not extend, but the motor would surge to retract the step when I opened and closed the door. The ground wire was good. I simply unplugged the 4-way connector above the step. I freshened up the contacts with a probe and reconnected the plug and the steps worked. The step manual showed many more tests but not this quick fix.

Second problem, (unrelated and on a different day) the step cover would not close. I removed the switch and found one of the hot white wires (pig-tailed into two wires) had pulled out of the bottom of the rocker switch. In removing the switch entirely I pulled out the second white wire. Easy fix, I had to make a clip for each wire and secure them back into the bottom of the rocker switch. The step cover was working and I drove off not knowing the step was not retracted.

Third problem, (related to second problem) in repairing the step cover wires I caused a short and cut out my electric step. Most important is the fuse location for the steps, this fuse is located in the front hood compartment and is labeled as "OPTIONAL FAN."

Just simple, do-it-yourself, on-the-road repair tips you won't find in manuals.
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #2

Good information to have Gary. Haven't had any problem yet with the step cover but the way everything else is going I figure it won't be long. I've been fighting a problem with the electric step, it wouldn't retract. Tapping on the linkage would make it work a couple of times the fail to retract. I removed the motor, let the step come in a couple of inches, then re-installed the motor which made it stop and start in a new location. Has been working now for a week or so, so hopefully this fixed the problem for a while post-poning spending $50-$60 for a new motor.

Can't imagine Winnebago listing the step fuse as "Optional Fan" but with some of the other things I've run into on my coach I really shouldn't be that surprised.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G