Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Step motor for series 28 Kwikee Step

Anyone know what a Substitute Motor would be for this step.
I dont want to fork out money for a motor from Kwikee and I
know it's a window motor but do not know a part number
that's the same thing.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #2

Try these
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Replacement motor.pdf (49.5 KB, 256 views)
File Type: txt motor #.txt (347 Bytes, 178 views)
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Caveat: Kwikee has used two different motors over the years. I got stuck with having to buy a whole new motor/gear assembly. Make sure the replacement motor matches the original.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Well what I have found is the one for the ford tauras is a dorman 742-273 for the left door. This is off the Dorman website.
Found a 742-264 that looks the same but it's for a right door.
They must turn either right or left? Mounting looks the same just motor direction?
What I'm trying to do here is have one to carry with a gear set. If something goes out I'll have the parts with and won't have to run around looking for one while on the road.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If you can still read the sticker on the motor it'll help you find who manufactured it and the model number. Mine was made by AM Equipment Windshield Wiper Systems & Durable DC Motors
I replaced mine couple of years ago and they were great to work with and the price was very reasonable. I believe that this is the model. http://store.amequipment.com/214-ser...ing-p-128.html and here's a pic of it installed http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/...estepmotor.jpg
Hope this helps.
Al
Old 04-22-2019, 04:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Caveat: Kwikee has used two different motors over the years. I got stuck with having to buy a whole new motor/gear assembly. Make sure the replacement motor matches the original.

Do you know what the cut off date is for the motors? I have a 2002 cross country and would like to buy a motor to have on hand.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #7

Joe, I purchased a Dorman window lift motor for my
02 Winnie yrs. ago. The unit was a plug and play and
the number on the box 742-277, hope this helps.
coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
Well what I have found is the one for the ford tauras is a dorman 742-273 for the left door. This is off the Dorman website.
Found a 742-264 that looks the same but it's for a right door.
They must turn either right or left? Mounting looks the same just motor direction?
What I'm trying to do here is have one to carry with a gear set. If something goes out I'll have the parts with and won't have to run around looking for one while on the road.
All window motors turn both directions - you just switch the pos and neg wires to go up or down with windows, or in or out, as with steps...

So the difference in the two models may be different gears. Sorry, I'm not sure which one yours takes. Mine takes a Ford Taurus - very cheap.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #9

Hey Guys
Are you sure the motor is bad just because it doesn't run when powered it may just need taking apart and cleaning the commutator low voltage DC motors that sit for a while can have a habit of sitting on a dead spot, that's why you hear tapping the motor housing sometimes works. Point is I've had the same problems with my step motor and have been able to repair myself I have answered a previous post on this subject and given a description of how to do this also I have a photo of disassembled motor but I don't know how to attach to post yet.
May save you a lot of time and money hope this helps
One Brit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #10

Hi
I just looked on eBay and Amazon and saw what looks like the exact Kwickee step motor for $25.00 free shipping, as I had already given Idea's on how to repair these motors as previously posted. I think even if the gear drive was different not saying it is but the motor assembly could be transferred to your existing gear drive if necessary. I realize its a
gamble but maybe worth it not sure just trying to help my motor was made in Korea same as what I saw on ebay is it exact not 100% sure but looks like it would work. Good Luck
onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Amazon has them Kwikee step motor
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Hey Guys
Are you sure the motor is bad just because it doesn't run when powered it may just need taking apart and cleaning the commutator low voltage DC motors that sit for a while can have a habit of sitting on a dead spot, that's why you hear tapping the motor housing sometimes works. Point is I've had the same problems with my step motor and have been able to repair myself I have answered a previous post on this subject and given a description of how to do this also I have a photo of disassembled motor but I don't know how to attach to post yet.
May save you a lot of time and money hope this helps
One Brit

I've never been one to blanket replace something without proof of it being bad and having a problem. I would remove the motor make up a wiring harness consisting of a fuse, ammeter, and push button switch. Simple operation..push the button and note the current draw. Excessive current replace the motor. Motor doesn't work tear the motor apart and blow out the brush dust and debris wipe the commutator off and wipe between the contacts making sure there is nothing shorting and put back together. Try it again and generally it will work. If the brushes are worn over 1/2 consider replacing the motor if brushes aren't available. * Note..some small motor companies do carry brushes that will work.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #13

Make sure you check carefully to not make the same mistake I made. There was a bushing that locates the motor that I neglected to switch from the old motor to the new. It was a window lift motor and maybe if you buy a kwikee it comes with it. It allowed the motor to move and ended up stripping the gears. I ended up having to buy the complete kwikee motor, gear, controller kit. So much for saving money.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #14

My Kwikee step on 2016 MH will not stay out when the door is closed. Checked the switch, it is OK, checked the magnet switch at bottom of screen door, it is OK, motor OK, step is clean and well lubricated but regardless of the door switch in on or off position the step retracts every time the door is closed. Any suggestions? Controller is a sealed unit so difficult to check or trouble shoot.
SJLP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee