Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #1

Steps stuck retracted on 2006 Sightseer 30B

Steps stuck retracted on 2006 Sightseer 30B, light under steps working, but that's it... Looks really difficult to get the cotter pin out with the steps retracted. Sigh.....

I lubricated moving points on steps per owners manual. I moved a magnet across the sensor on door frame; no work.

Thinking it's control unit or motor....

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to get to the cotter pin?

Ok, what if I do get the cotter pin out and extend the steps, then need to drive RV before fixed..? If the steps don't retract how might I work that to put the RV on the road? Thanks.
rvmorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #2

When my steps acted up I had to drop the drive motor and gear box off the coach , 4 , 1/4" bolts on the corners of the mount plate . WD 40 first , you don't want to break them off . then I could move the steps and access the pin .
I've seen many times the steps tied up to move the coach , NOTE , if you're inside DON'T forget they're not working.

I'll assume Kwikee steps .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee troubleshooting.pdf (392.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #3

I used a hammer to bang the motor case slightly and got it working but then I remove the motor and replace it since that just means the motor has developed a flat spot.

Regards and good luck.
billfelicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #4

Yes, Kwikee.... Thanks, yes i've done some testing but will follow Kwikee testing procedures friday. I did already try tapping on motor, but no luck...

There's only about an inch crack between bottom of RV to top of top step for me to work on cotter pin removal.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #5

Get an electrical extension cord that will reach from your steps to your battery. Cut the ends off and strip back the wires. Unplug the motor from under the steps. Push a wire from one end of the extension cord into each of the 2 holes in the motor plug. Touch the wires on the other end of the extension cord to your battery. Touch them one way, the motor extends, reverse the wires on the battery and the steps retract.

Do not leave the wires on the battery after the steps are fully retracted or extended because you will burn up the motor.

If this works your controller is bad.

I used this setup for a few weeks until I was able to get home. I taped up the wires at the motor and ran the cord into my battery compartment. It didn't take more than a minute to extend or retract the steps.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #6

In testing the 4-way connector, I think I have a result that implies an problem. In FIGURE 14 (check power switch), I am getting 12.45 volts with the door closed and with the door open. Now I am assuming that's how they want you to perform the tests as the instructions sometimes states power "on" and power "off" and other times states "door closed" and "door open". I did my checks with door closed and door open. SO, if that's how they meant for the test to be performed, I have 12.45 volts from White wire on 4-way connector all the time instead of just power "on". What exactly is the power switch/power switch circuit?

Kwikee's 1-800-736-9961 always busy!!!!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeterson View Post
Get an electrical extension cord that will reach from your steps to your battery. Cut the ends off and strip back the wires. Unplug the motor from under the steps. Push a wire from one end of the extension cord into each of the 2 holes in the motor plug. Touch the wires on the other end of the extension cord to your battery. Touch them one way, the motor extends, reverse the wires on the battery and the steps retract.

Do not leave the wires on the battery after the steps are fully retracted or extended because you will burn up the motor.

If this works your controller is bad.

I used this setup for a few weeks until I was able to get home. I taped up the wires at the motor and ran the cord into my battery compartment. It didn't take more than a minute to extend or retract the steps.

Thanks, I tried to do that in a similar way but must be doing something wrong as it did not extend for me.... I may do it your way soon...
Old 06-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #8

Oh, wait maybe power "on" and power "off" refers to the switch in the doorway that stops the step from retracting when you are parked somewhere and dont want the steps to retract everytime the door is closed...

Not that this I'm about to mention is the problem, but I loosened the switch from the doorway (the one the magnet on the closed door aligns with) and one of the connections is on the switch is barely attached by a thread. I'll probably need to somehow make that wire longer and re-attach....
Old 06-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #9

My step stuck in the extendeed position one time when getting ready to depart. I disconnected power at the motor, removed motor, lubed everything up, replaced motor and all has been well. This happened when we were parked for several months with the steps out.

In retrospect I think I could have accomplished the same by only loosening the motor mounting screws slightly, then re-attaching power connector and try and operate the steps.

Whatever approach you take, make sure you fingers and arm are not anywhere near pinch points.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #10

So, it was very difficult to remove the cotter pin (and the larger pin the cotter pin goes through) that a lot of people mentioned. It was difficult because with the steps "stuck" in the retracted position I couldn't get to the cotter pin or larger pin from beneath the steps. I had about an inch or so wide crack between the top step and the bottom of the RV to work with. Probably about 30 minutes later, pins removed and step was freed up. However, the "arm" connected to the motor wouldn't move once disconnected from the other part so the steps were extended (down), but they were not "locked" in position and wanted to move a little when stepping on them. (in other words, I couldn't reconnect levers together when steps were extended. We placed a large wooden block between the steps and clamped a pair of vice grips at one of the pivet points. That being said, if I can get the wife to agree, I think I will just drill a hole through one or two locations on the steps and used a bolt or something to prevent the steps from moving when extended. Also, we learned how to bungee the steps "up" or retracted for when you are ready to put it on the road. Seems you don't bungee the steps to something on/under the RV, you just use a couple bungee cords and "wrap" them around the steps so they can't extend or fall down...
Old 07-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #11

UPDATE!!!

A friend of mine wanted to try something that he has done in the past on his steps successfully.... I thought it was a waste of time since there seems to be about a half dozen reasons why the auto-steps may quit working. Well he fixed them! He removed the three 10mm bolts that holds the motor in place and unplugged the wire harness to it. Took the motor out and spun it around while blowing on the brushes. Brushes now cleaned, or cleaner than they were; re-installed everything. Step immediately started working!!!!! Thanks T.A.!

Tags
sightseer, steps