Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stink from kitchen sink!

Hi - 2015 Winnebago Vista stink issue. We pulled into Camp Margeritaville in Pigeon Forge. Very nice campground but no shade yet. Anyway no smell on last trip or on the way there. After a couple hours with the sun shining on passenger side where the kitchen sink is we start to smell something bad. It was over 90 outside. I hadnít hooked the sewer up yet and the smell isnít coming from anywhere else.

Flushed with water and added tank treatment to the sink just in desperation lol. Is there just something caught in the p-trap and the heat activated it??

Thanks for any suggestions!
Ben
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 07:58 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Is it coming from the sink or under the sink? A common problem with odors from the gray tank is the AAV (Air Admittance Valve) under the sink.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:02 PM   #3

There should be an air admittance valve in the plumbing under the sink. It can stick open thereby allowing gray tank odors to backflow into the RV. Remove the valve, most simply unscrew, shake it. If you can feel the valve shaking it is good. They are commonly available at hardware stores.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:15 AM   #4

Stinky smells often come from the grey tank as most folks do not treat that tank often. We learned a long time ago to treat both black and grey tanks. There are a number of products on the market that are useful to help reduce those ugly smells. Find the one(s) that work for you.
I annually clean our tanks out with a trisodium phosphate solution in 1/2 tank of water for a 2+ hour drive. Helps remove all the leftover gunk. It really works for us. good luck.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:20 AM   #5

Perhaps just jouncing around on the highway the water got drained out of the "P" trap. Run enough water to refill the trap and see if the odor subsides.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I got up this morning and it’s cooled off due to pouring rain lol. The smell has mysteriously disappeared. I’m going to poke around under the sink to see if I have one of those relief valves. I’m pretty sure I don’t. I’m sure it has a roof vent.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Iím going to poke around under the sink to see if I have one of those relief valves. Iím pretty sure I donít. Iím sure it has a roof vent.
It is not at all uncommon to have both. I would guess that most RVs do.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Well I got up this morning and it’s cooled off due to pouring rain lol. The smell has mysteriously disappeared. I’m going to poke around under the sink to see if I have one of those relief valves. I’m pretty sure I don’t. I’m sure it has a roof vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
It is not at all uncommon to have both. I would guess that most RVs do.
The air vent is placed in the plumbing after the P-trap so water flowing through the drain doesn't pull out the water in the trap with the vacuum created by its flow. The vent allows outside air to enter so the water in the pipe flows easily. The roof vent is typically connected further downstream in a main pipe that flows into the grey tank, a pipe to which the sink pipe connects. As mentioned, you probably have both types of venting, which is typically found in RVs.

Your situation looks to be as described by others, and is a very common issue and easily solved. The heating by the sun on the passenger side of the rv probably heated the grey tank water and the air inside to where the expansion leaked through the faulty air vent.

BTW, simple vents like the black one shown cannot be tested by shaking and they are not true Air Admittance Valves, but rather Automatic Air Vents. They perform the same function, are cheaper, but have a spring and diaphragm which can fail. The cost is probably the reason they are most commonly found in RV plumbing.

A true Air Admittance Valve has no springs or thin rubber diaphragm to warp. The seal is created by the weight of the sealing part itself. When negative pressure is inside the pipe, that pressure pulls the seal up and allows outside air to enter. When pressure equalizes, the seal drops down once again.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I do have them under both sinks. No smell today so far!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69234EEB-A16B-475D-B1D5-8B366DC3AE59.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	333168  
Old 06-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #10

Well, we donít have a Winnebago anymore, we now have a Fleetwood. But, earlier this year, in our Fleetwood, we had a horrible odor coming from behind our washer and dryer. Particularly when it got hot or I used the dryer. We removed the drawers from the dresser next to the washer and dryer and found what looked like an air gap or vent. Having no idea what it vented, we decided against it being the grey tank because we keep it open when doing laundry. We decided it was the fresh water tank. We added a cup of bleach to the fresh water tank and then emptied it by running the water through the entire system and out through the grey tank. We did that twice and the stink is gone. Still not sure if it was grey or fresh, but what we did cleaned and disinfected both.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Well, we donít have a Winnebago anymore, we now have a Fleetwood. But, earlier this year, in our Fleetwood, we had a horrible odor coming from behind our washer and dryer. Particularly when it got hot or I used the dryer. We removed the drawers from the dresser next to the washer and dryer and found what looked like an air gap or vent. Having no idea what it vented, we decided against it being the grey tank because we keep it open when doing laundry. We decided it was the fresh water tank. We added a cup of bleach to the fresh water tank and then emptied it by running the water through the entire system and out through the grey tank. We did that twice and the stink is gone. Still not sure if it was grey or fresh, but what we did cleaned and disinfected both.
I strongly suspect the vent you found was the AAV for the grey tank, in line with the washer/dryer. Fresh tank vents are not typically found extending inside the coach, but rather are located at the top of the tank itself. The fact that you leave the grey tank open when doing wash does not necessarily eliminate the grey tank from producing odors as the foul air rises if warm and tries to vent out the plumbing. What you did obviously worked, however.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #12

Following
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Well I got up this morning and itís cooled off due to pouring rain lol. The smell has mysteriously disappeared. Iím going to poke around under the sink to see if I have one of those relief valves. Iím pretty sure I donít. Iím sure it has a roof vent.
By any chance, do you remember what you had to eat the day before the mysterious smell appeared?
Old 06-23-2021, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I strongly suspect the vent you found was the AAV for the grey tank, in line with the washer/dryer. Fresh tank vents are not typically found extending inside the coach, but rather are located at the top of the tank itself. The fact that you leave the grey tank open when doing wash does not necessarily eliminate the grey tank from producing odors as the foul air rises if warm and tries to vent out the plumbing. What you did obviously worked, however.

Yeah, except for the ďair gap/ventĒ appears to be in the water supply lines as opposed to drain lines and it comes up around the supply lines. Although, it may just be the type of pipe used, and since I canít readily identify the actual connection because it is hidden under a bunch of sealer, Iíll never be sure until I get ahold of an REV tech. That said, as you said, the bleach running through both tanks did in fact resolve the problem.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sink