Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #1

Suggestions on where to get a brake job Williams, AZ

Have a 2006 Winnebago sightseer 34A, need a brake job (replacing the pads)on my front disk brakes. Just wondering if anyone knows a fair and honest shop in this are..? I dread going to repair shops cause as soon as they see me on wheelchair all they see is $$$$..
Sorry, I meant Williams Arizona..Thanks..

[mod edit title to read williams.]
fastwhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2022, 09:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwhls View Post
Have a 2006 Winnebago sightseer 34A, need a brake job (replacing the pads)on my front disk brakes. Just wondering if anyone knows a fair and honest shop in this are..? I dread going to repair shops cause as soon as they see me on wheelchair all they see is $$$$..
Sorry, I meant Williams Arizona..Thanks..

[mod edit title to read williams.]
Well Sir,
We've been to and stayed in Williams a zillion times. We really love that little town. Plus I get to ride my m/c in all directions on and off road. Now, as for your brake components replacement, to be honest, about the only place I have seen where a motorhome was being worked on was on Grand Canyon Blvd. It's called Sandovals Tire/RV and all that. Here's the number:
+19286352623

I have no affiliation or ties with this shop. I have seen RV's there on different occasions. It is a bit tight spaced there so, if you're gonna try this place, you might park on the street if possible and maybe enquire by phone as to what they'd like you do to once you get there. That's about all I can offer. Good luck and enjoy that neat little town.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,

We've been to and stayed in Williams a zillion times. We really love that little town. Plus I get to ride my m/c in all directions on and off road. Now, as for your brake components replacement, to be honest, about the only place I have seen where a motorhome was being worked on was on Grand Canyon Blvd. It's called Sandovals Tire/RV and all that. Here's the number:

+19286352623

I have no affiliation or ties with this shop. I have seen RV's there on different occasions. It is a bit tight spaced there so, if you're gonna try this place, you might park on the street if possible and maybe enquire by phone as to what they'd like you do to once you get there. That's about all I can offer. Good luck and enjoy that neat little town.

Scott
Hi Scott, thank you so much for your suggestion. I will look into it..
Old 05-13-2022, 05:29 PM   #4

I suggest you make some phone calls even Truck repair shops can deal with your brake job, I recently had new tires put on my coach at our local Auto repair tire shop they did a good job at a fair price. They can easily give you prices over the phone, so they won't even know what your physical condition is and that shouldn't matter anyway brakes usually are easily quoted with a proviso that the Rotors are still in good shape and calipers don't need replacing. Once you have pricing it should be a few hours weight to get the job done at most I would think.
Hope this helps
Kindest Regards
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #5

onebrit is right, there's nothing special about your truck brakes, just bigger than an auto.Any truck repair shop is able to do the work.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I you can make it to Flagstaff, RV Country in Flagstaff, AZ is an honest shop. I had my 2000 Brave in there a couple of years ago and they did an excellent job troubleshooting an engine issue at a fair price. They should have no problem with disc brakes.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Scott, thank you so much for your suggestion. I will look into it..
If you can make it to South Tucson, we have found LaMesa RV to be top notch. We got stranded there w/a galley slide on our 42QD coming apart and they took us in straight away. This was right at the early start of the Covid pandemic, Ryan Robco was the Asst. Service Manager and one of the most helpful and stand-up guys we've come across in the business. If I recall, he started working there as a teen. While full timing, we even traveled from SoCal to have our annual maintenance performed there. There is a very nice large clean KOA within a 1/4-1/2 mi. with fixed bungalows for rent should you need to o/night. If you choose them, tell them Mike & Bert, the folks w/ the Aqua Hot from hell sent you. We even asked him if we could adopt him. Good luck, getting service on the road can be trying
mwk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:56 AM   #8
Commercial Member

golightly tire in flagstaff is associated with a repair facility that does that kind of
work. 1 800 288 8473. i have had work done there, and good work, good prices.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #9

Made an appointment at RV County in Flagstaff. They said they will do it. It's amazing when majority of the truck repair shops when they hear the word "RV" they right away turn you down when it's a very easy job. Thank you everyone for your respond and suggestions.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:07 AM   #10

Well, as I expected. Another Dishonest RV dealer, RV Country in Flagstaff. They want to charge $1800 to do the front disk brakes on my RV. Got to my 8:30 appointment and the said they will going to check my front brakes. I already knew the driver side rotor needed to be turned and resurface since the pads were completely worn off and the right rotor was still in good condition. After 3 hours without taking the wheels off they told me my front rotors are bad and need to be replaced. They said it'll cost $1800 to replace the two front rotors and pads and they may have to change the calipers which will be additional cost on top of the $1800. Asked them why the calipers need to be changed and the answer they gave me was " because the pads were so worn out the calipers cylinders will not retract and need to be changed".. can you believe this BS?
I have done brake job on my cars for many years myself so I'm not a novice when it comes to brakes.

As I said before when they see someone on wheelchair they see $$$ and they do their best to screw you. I'm so sick of these RV repair shops which try to take advantage of situation... We have been full-time rving for 6 years and this has been my experience everytime I need to have any work done on our rig.
I'M SO SICK OF IT.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:17 AM   #11

HEFR in Camp Verde does good work and is honest. Not cheap but good.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Well, as I expected. Another Dishonest RV dealer, RV Country in Flagstaff. They want to charge $1800 to do the front disk brakes on my RV. Got to my 8:30 appointment and the said they will going to check my front brakes. I already knew the driver side rotor needed to be turned and resurface since the pads were completely worn off and the right rotor was still in good condition. After 3 hours without taking the wheels off they told me my front rotors are bad and need to be replaced. They said it'll cost $1800 to replace the two front rotors and pads and they may have to change the calipers which will be additional cost on top of the $1800. Asked them why the calipers need to be changed and the answer they gave me was " because the pads were so worn out the calipers cylinders will not retract and need to be changed".. can you believe this BS?
I have done brake job on my cars for many years myself so I'm not a novice when it comes to brakes.

As I said before when they see someone on wheelchair they see $$$ and they do their best to screw you. I'm so sick of these RV repair shops which try to take advantage of situation... We have been full-time rving for 6 years and this has been my experience everytime I need to have any work done on our rig.
I'M SO SICK OF IT.
Using OEM Workhorse parts, the rotors are $300 each, the good pads are $185 a set (two pair) and calipers are $275 each. My guess is their shop rate is somewhere between $150-$200 per hour. I'm sure they will hit you with $100 in shop supplies and brake fluid. I would guess this is a 3hr job but it can easily be completed in much less.

I can see this possibly being a $1500 job but it shouldn't cost much more. It should cost much less using aftermarket parts.

Something else to think about that will make this cost go up. Regardless of who ends up performing this repair. You really should have the rear disc brakes inspected and serviced while they are at it. You definitely need your brake fluid flushed and changed out at all 4 corners. Your front wheel bearings need to be flushed and serviced. Depending on what the tech finds with the front wheel bearing service they may recommend new front wheel bearing seals.

Your best bet is to find an Authorized Workhorse Service Center. The closest one to you right now is in Tempe. You can't make it there in the condition your coach is.

I would try to get a breakdown of what exactly you will get for your $1800. Have the brakes repaired and move on. Then you need to find a Workhorse Service Center in AZ or elsewhere and get some additional preventative maintenance done. You really need to establish a relationship with a Workhorse service center or a mechanic you can trust. There are lots of things on your chassis that are very likely past due for maintenance. To avoid these $1800 surprises you need to do regular preventative maintenance.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:50 PM   #13

The $1800 estimate they gave me was with out calipers and they were going to use after market parts. They checked the brakes in the back and they were in good shape. Either way I found authorized Winnebago and workhorse service center in Prescott, Affinity RV from workhorse website.
I have a issue with one of the slide outs too so it will work well to take care of both at the same time. I have no issue paying for the work as long as it's done right with right parts.
Thank you so much for your input and suggestions and prices.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #14

Quote:
The $1800 estimate they gave me was with out calipers and they were going to use after market parts. They checked the brakes in the back and they were in good shape. Either way I found authorized Winnebago and workhorse service center in Prescott, Affinity RV from workhorse website.
I have a issue with one of the slide outs too so it will work well to take care of both at the same time. I have no issue paying for the work as long as it's done right with right parts.
Thank you so much for your input and suggestions and prices.
Glad you found a place that will take care of you. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but a visual inspection of the rear brakes isn't really enough. Unless you've had the brake system flushed and serviced with new brake fluid and the caliper slides lubricated in the last couple of years you should really consider it. Old, contaminated brake fluid is one of the things that causes the calipers to stick and the pads to wear prematurely. At the very least you should have this discussion with the Workhorse Service Center while you're there. There are a whole list of other PM items you should consider as well. At 16 years old some drivetrain fluids and elastomers begin to deteriorate regardless of how many miles are on the coach. I'm not suggesting you spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary maintenance. I'm suggesting you have this discussion with the service center, make a plan and try to fit the maintenance into your budget for the future.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake