Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #1

Sunova 2017 w/v10

My 2017 Sunova with 7000 miles and has a Triton v10 periodically surges when on steep hills. Whether I am pulling my tow vehicle or not I get the surge. On several occasions while pulling at (3-4000 rpm) the engine will lose power and the rpms will drop to 1-2000 rpm. If I back off the gas momentarily and then apply pedal pressure, it will surge up for a second and drop back down. It has never quite stalled and I have been able to nurse it up the hill . It runs great of flat ground. I have had a few suggestions which I have tried to no avail.
I have been told to check the codes. I found none.
I have added Heet to see if it is a water problem. No changes.
I have check the fuel pressure and it is normal.
I thought fuel filter only to find it is built in the tank for life.
Iam unable to solve this problem. Has anyone got any ideas?

Saddlelamp43
Saddlelamp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some of those Fords had issues with the air filter and canister holding water. Check that. I had one that did that.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #3

Did you add a locking gas cap ?
Could be causing a vacuum in the tank.

Did you watch fuel pressure under heavy load ? That's when you need to watch it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #4

There is another thread perhaps covering this issue that has an interesting solve.

The problem ended up being the OP bumping the brake pedal by accident with the heal of his foot during those long full power climbs. An inadvertent brake pedal activation sends a throttle override to the ECU and it will cut your power. It is a built in safety feature on the F53. If there were a mechanical issue, it could just be a miss adjusted switch up under the pedal triggering that override. However that seems very unlikely.

The good news is, if that un-intentional foot bump indeed your situation, you don't have to worry about mechanical issues (there are no codes because everything is OK). Just be more conscious about the placement of your feet and avoid that brake pedal.

Hope that info helps.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #5

No I did not add a locking gas cap.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #6

Thanks. When I tested the rig yesterday it did the same thing. I made sure my feet were in the right place.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try activating the Tow/Haul and see if it does it. Also did you change the Air Filter recently? If not then do so and check the air filter housing for moisture and leaks or even leaves or critter's that have made a nest in it.

Tags
v10