Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Surge Protectors

I have a Class A Itasca Sunova. Is it absolutely necessary to have a surge protector on the coach?
tipaulfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My first Coach lost all of the electronics and in this one I lost the Microwave and Dish receiver due to faulty power. I now have a surge guard and won't plug in to shore power without one.

Some will tell you they have never had a problem without one. You will have to make the decision if you want to take the risk or not.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipaulfla View Post
I have a Class A Itasca Sunova. Is it absolutely necessary to have a surge protector on the coach?
Surge Protectors are like insurance. You hope you never need it but are glad you have it when you do need it.

We were camping at the Georgia Veterans State Park in Cordelle, GA when a new Class A Motor Home pulled into a site. When he hooked up his electric it blew every system in the coach. I can't say if a surge protector would have prevented it but after seeing that I went out and purchased one.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have this 50A Hardwire | Technology Research Corporation, but if I was starting fresh I would buy this one EMS-HW50C

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Sooner or later you will need it, if it happens that you need it and you don't have it you will be sorry. Its an investmemt in the well being of your coach. Its the best few hundred you will ever spend.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Surge Protection

Quote:
We purchased a surge protector several years ago after we almost lost all of our electronics and other 110V appliances. Before purchasing the surge protector, our 2006 Ellipse motor home received a fairly powerful surge from a lightning strike to a nearby xformer. What really saved us was the GFI plugs. Apparently, unbeknown-st to me, is that some GFI receptacles have an inherent surge protection built into the circuitry. Since the GFI receptacles are the "first" receptacle on the circuit, the GFIs stopped the surge. Go figure. How lucky. Now we have a surge protector we use every time. I think we spent about $150 for a fairly decent protector.

Dave and Cris
Motor Homers since 2005 and RVers since 1986.
Dave and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

IMO, you want to guard against more than just surges. You want to protect against: high/low voltage, open neutral/ground, reverse polarity & 220V. That is where an energy management system, like that sold by Progressive Industries, comes in.

We have the PI EMS-HW50C (purchased from RVupgrades, an iRV2.com Sponsor). We would've been in a world of hurt at several campgrounds if I had only a surge guard protecting my coach.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
We also have a surge protector on our 50 amp service that I permanently mounted in the electrical connection compartment. That way, it is protected from sticky fingers.

One thing to be aware of is a possible time delay built into the protector when it is connected to camp power. Mine has a 2-1/2 minute delay. The only frustrating issue is that when you get any trip, it takes 2-1/2 minutes for the surge protector to reconnect power each time that it trips.

On the other hand, it is providing the proper protection, so I'm happy to wait for it. I'd get one as others have said.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
i would not hook up my moho to shore power without one. imho the major difference in the $100 portable surge protector and the more expensive built in units is that the more expensive units have replaceable components (not by users) and the $100 ones don't. if mine stops a surge just once it will have done its job and i will replace it with a new one.
i have been using my progressive ind. 50a portable surge protector for over 3 years with good results. i also use a plug in volt meter to check pedestal voltage before connecting and then inside the moho to monitor all the time especially during high electric usage times. i don't run my air conditioner or heat pump on less that 105 volts.
the 50a protector cost me about $100, the 30a is considerably less.
the 30a and 50a both test the pedestal for proper wiring by using indicator lights. if the light pattern is wrong, i do not plug my moho power cord into the surge protector until the pedestal is fixed or i move to another spot.

SSP-50
SSP-30
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #10

Surge Protectors

With RVs having so much electronics in them today and plugging in cells & lap tops for recharging, one must be extra cautious. One can not assume a parks electrical system is working proper. I have been at expensive Resorts to include Thousand Trails Campgrounds that advised me electricity in parts of camp areas were questionable. That is why I have a permanent in-line Surge Suppressor in my coach which also monitors high and low voltage.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Another vote for "you definitely need one". Too many expensive electronics in the RV and a single good surge can destroy them. We have an external one that we plug in everytime we hookup. That way if it blows we can easily replace it. Nina
Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ours saved all our 110v equipment from lightening strike damage . . . the surge protector took the hit and was immediately replaced.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Surge Protectors are like insurance. You hope you never need it but are glad you have it when you do need it.
Excellent answer - I think this is exactly what it is.

The majority of RV manufacturers don't think it is "a must" - otherwise they would install it on all RV's, which they don't.

We have "bought the insurance" and would do it again if we replaced our RV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

So it looks as if there are several endorsements for the EMS-HW50C product. It looks as this would need to be hardwired into the coach. Is this something that a fairly handy person can do? Are there any installation specs anywhere on the internet? It looks as though the in-line surge guards you put in the power line aren't as 'protective' Thanks
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksmom View Post
Is this something that a fairly handy person can do? Are there any installation specs anywhere on the internet?
I am as stupid as they come with regards to electrics and I did this - no problems and no help from anyone. Instructions are in the box. You just have to follow them.

Go for it !!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

We have a portable one with a lock on it. We had a hardwired in other coach, DH was too lazy to take it out so I said we don't need to buy a new one every time we trade lol. Portable works fine
Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
It's not an absolute necessity - anymore than having one on your house.

Like most things in life it's a matter of risk assessment combined with the size of your wallet. That varies from individual to individual.

From my perspective the biggest electrical risk RVers face is lousy/sub par/miswired hookups at campgrounds. You can mitigate those risk by an $4 circuit tester combined with $30 Kill A Watt meter - that combo should tell you that the pedestal is wired correctly and how much juice is coming out of the pedestal.

The higher end/expensive surge protectors should tell you whether the pedestal is wired correctly and may guard you from under current issues - lower end ones won't.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
We have a portable one with a lock on it. We had a hardwired in other coach, DH was too lazy to take it out so I said we don't need to buy a new one every time we trade lol. Portable works fine
what does you lock setup look like? can you post a picture?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Like most of the respondents, I wouldn't be without a surge protector, and one also protects against high and low voltages. All you need to confirm the need is to plug in a voltmeter and watch what happens around 5:00 PM in hot weather when everyone comes home to the park and turns on their air conditioners. I prefer a plug-in model for two reasons; 1), I've used it on two different motorhomes (it's lasted almost six years), and 2), I know of at least one case where it could have caused an internal fire (LightCurve on the Road). I've never heard of a surge protector being stolen, and stopped using the lock since if someone did recognize what it was and wanted it, they'd cut the cable. But however you mount it, inside or out, get one. It's a wise investment.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

As much as I hate to I'll kind of show my real ignorance on the subject and ask which does the job better or is considered better doing the job a permanent mount with or without in house remote read out or the portable on the post type?

I'm interested in which does the most or best versus what's easier to take from one MH to another.

I don't have one and need one with in the next week or two so the portable would be better but I can get one wired in as well without much problem.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote