Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Switched outlet?

2003 Adventurer 35U. There is an outlet in the outside compartment just in front of rear wheels on the passenger side. The top of the outlet has a label that says HOT PLUG. Label on the bottom of outlet says SWITCHED. Well after several years of owning this coach it's time to figure out how the bottom plug is switched. I thought maybe the compartment light switch but no. Oh, maybe engine running will kill the outlet like the TV outlet. Haven't tried that but if anyone knows I would appreciate knowing how it works.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The easy way to find out is check out the wiring diagram for your RV. Winnebago has all online here:

Wiring Diagrams

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #3

I just went out and looked at mine. Says same thing. Never knew it. Guess i need to dig into the manuals.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I am going to guess the switched outlet is to plug a block heater into, and there is a switch inside that controls it.........
Old 07-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #5

possibilities

plug a boombox that is turned on to a high volume into the switched outlet ... then go inside and start flipping switches until the music goes ON or OFF ... that is your switch ...

I would suspect this is a switched outlet that lets you put a trouble light or ceramic heater into water bay so you can switch it on when you are out in really cold weather.

On my Journey ... there is a switched outlet ... and it is for a block heater in the winter ... but the engine is in the rear in a Journey ... I have used the outlet for other purposes when I was parked in a warm place.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The easy way to find out is check out the wiring diagram for your RV. Winnebago has all online here:

Wiring Diagrams
Well the wiring diagrams show the outlet but they show it as a 2 receptacle outlet and don't differentiate between the 2 receptacles. One wire in and that's it. I know what all the switches are for inside unless they hid the switch and I haven't found it yet. The owner's manual has nothing in about that receptacle. I do need to try the theory that it's disabled when the engine is running. Too much other stuff going on right now so someday.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
It't for your blaster boom box at the KOA

Mine MH has a small door 20" X 9" with a lock on it just below the fridge vent. Inside is the outside radio (which I disabled because it would come on randomly). You can see the radio under fridge inside with drawer out.

Next to radio is 120V 2 plug receptacle.
With generator running and MH engine off I got 120V.
With generator running and MH engine running I got 120V.

There is also a 12V outlet in mine behind the door.
Mine doesn't have the labels and I'v never found a switch for it.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
It's easy enough to use two sources for 120v power to an outlet. There are tabs that can be broken off to modify the outlet. It's done all the time to make part of an outlet full-time power (clock radio) the other part is controlled by a wall switch. (lamp)
In the refrigerator compartment, part of the outlet is for the RV refrigerator, the other part for an icemaker. That part of the outlet is most likely getting its 120v from an inverter.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The question is...are both the top and bottom outlets hot? Only the top? Both dead?
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #10

Do you have an inverter. I have a straight through inverter that switches from battery to 110 automatically, the plug is for the residential refrigerator. The plug is hot when disconnected and generator is off. Just a guess, good luck.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher0077 View Post
Mine MH has a small door 20" X 9" with a lock on it just below the fridge vent. Inside is the outside radio (which I disabled because it would come on randomly). You can see the radio under fridge inside with drawer out.

Next to radio is 120V 2 plug receptacle.
With generator running and MH engine off I got 120V.
With generator running and MH engine running I got 120V.

There is also a 12V outlet in mine behind the door.
Mine doesn't have the labels and I'v never found a switch for it.
Okay, so I found the answer. Inside the compartment with the radio is an outlet, next to it is a dimmer switch. The dimmer switch controls the lower half of the outlet in the compartment below. I assume, didn't check, that it also controls the outlet next to it.

Funny, I had to unplug my radio for the same reason. It would come on randomly and none of the controls worked.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Re the outside radio turning on by itself, this thread has a solution for you: Radio turns on by itself (old topic but new info)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Okay, so I found the answer. Inside the compartment with the radio is an outlet, next to it is a dimmer switch. The dimmer switch controls the lower half of the outlet in the compartment below. I assume, didn't check, that it also controls the outlet next to it.

Funny, I had to unplug my radio for the same reason. It would come on randomly and none of the controls worked.
Did you check the outlet with a lamp or trouble light to see if the dimmer controlled the outlet? The only reason I can think to have a dimmer switch control an outlet would be for a light. Certainly wouldn't be good to plug any electronics or a power tool into a dimmer controlled outlet. The 'dimmer' could be a potentiometer to control the volume of a speaker.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Re the outside radio turning on by itself, this thread has a solution for you: Radio turns on by itself (old topic but new info)
I removed the fuse from mine, it's underneath the refrigerator.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch