Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Switching out three 12vdc to four 6vdc batteries.

Has anybody done it and taken a photo of (new) cable(s) placement.
What brand and model of 6vdc did you use? I have seen it at a rally and know it was a very close fit. Want max ah. 08 Tour.

Thanks, Kerry

Tried to use the search feature, but coach batteries was too numerous.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Here is a picture from another post. (not my post or coach).

On my 2007 Tour, I replaced the 3 regular batteries with 4 AGM GPL-6C's. They are taller but fit perfectly and give plenty of power for dry camping. Notice that you will have to put some spacers in to keep everything tight.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

sorry no picture avalable but I did do it in a suncruiser and the battery bank is under the steps. I had to modify the electric stair bracket a bit. Grind some away so it didn't hit the bottom corner of the battery but its a tight fit and it works. Sams club batteries. I changed out 2 twelve volt to 4 six volt batteries. Hooked 2 6v together in series then both banks toghether in paralle. much more lasting 12v power.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

just wondering how you check the water level in those back batteries in the 07 tour. Doesn't look easy to me.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Did it 7yrs ago changed 3-12volt to 4-6volt t-105's they are still going strong. No pics but I did have to lower the uper bat. tray to get clearance well worth the time it took.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpie View Post
just wondering how you check the water level in those back batteries in the 07 tour. Doesn't look easy to me.
In general, AGM batteries don't require watering unless you abuse them. Many are sealed. Those look like they might be Lifeline's, which rarely need water.

But yeah, if you were to use flooded batteries, you might consider one of those remote watering systems. Otherwise, step one is remove the front two batteries!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I like that "In general AGM's don't need..." Actually there is no way to add water to an AGM. it's a sealed Valve Regulated Lead Acid type battery.

I will make it easy.

Take two six volt batteries,, On one of them hook a jumper wire (Same size as the power wires that will go off it when you are done) to the positive terminal, hook the other end of this wire to the negative terminal on the other battery.

You now have a 12 volt battery. Think of this joined pair as a single 12 volt battery and all your questions are answered.. Just that fast.

There are not six volt batteries in RV's... Just 12 volt batteries that are split in 2 for easier handling.

Now.. Once you remove them, or more precisely once you remove that jumper THEN they go back to being six volt batteries.. But always treat the pair as a single 12 volt.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I like that "In general AGM's don't need..." Actually there is no way to add water to an AGM. it's a sealed Valve Regulated Lead Acid type battery.
We used to have a set of AGM's that you could add a DI water and catalyst solution to replace liquid lost over long operation in very dry climates, which we did. You are correct in that the cover isn't just a passive vent, but part of the system to recover electrolyte gas. In general, they should not be opened by anyone not familiar with servicing them, and you would likely void any warranty by breaking the seal.

Sorry if I created confusion.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote