Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2022, 01:54 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
The old basement a/c

My 'o4 adventure 33V basement AC is giving me fits. I know there have been lots of posts, but finding them is very difficult.

My issue is this. Our Basement AC has work ed great. Due to health issues we haven't been out this year. Today I was over to the storage yare to run everything as I do monthly.

The inside temp in the rv was 95 degrees. I started the generator and after all was up and running smoothly, switched on the AC. The fan runs, but neither AC compressor seems to kick on. The AC unit totally baffles me. What should I be looking for/at?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
rlcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2022, 05:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
My 'o4 adventure 33V basement AC is giving me fits. I know there have been lots of posts, but finding them is very difficult.

My issue is this. Our Basement AC has work ed great. Due to health issues we haven't been out this year. Today I was over to the storage yare to run everything as I do monthly.

The inside temp in the rv was 95 degrees. I started the generator and after all was up and running smoothly, switched on the AC. The fan runs, but neither AC compressor seems to kick on. The AC unit totally baffles me. What should I be looking for/at?

Basement A/C units are quite rare and I have one in a 2006 Journey. And yes, I've done a fair bit of work on mine to keep it running.

There are a few, but very few others here who have experience with them. I'll try and help you as much as I can but a little more information would help.

Things like the exact model # of your unit. There are really two types but several models of each. One has the control board, capacitors, and most connections on top, the other has them on the left side. Not really that much difference between them except access and repair procedures.

Frequently an RV tech will tell you the compressor is locked up. My experience is that is rare. And it would even be rarer to have both fail at the same time.

How comfortable are you with electrical? Ability with a VOM and a clamp on amp meter. Before I go into detail on troubleshooting and you open it up you better be comfortable with working on it with the live power.

Of course, you should start at the service panel. Take the cover off and check that you have 120 at both breakers on both sides. Since the fan runs I have to assume that at least line 1 has 120 volts. Line one runs the fan and compressor #1. Line 2 is for the second compressor. You may try and turn the breaker off for line 2. Try it again and see if the fan starts and then the compressor for number 1. If it is a problem in line 2, the EMS may shut the power down and neither will start. There can be up to a 3-minute delay between the time the fan comes on and the compressor starts.

Then you need to take the cover off the service panel on the unit. I am going to assume that it is in the pass rear. It has a cover that swings open. It is not a latch. There will be some screws on the bottom and the sides of that cover. They need to come out then the cover swings up just like your side compartments..

Once you have access, you will see two metal covers. The large one covers the fan motor. The smaller rectangular is the one you want off. You will see the 120v lines come in to a junction. Use your VOM to check that both lines have 120v. Up to this point it is just a line that runs from your service panel, to the junction block. If both lines have 120 the problem is somewhere beyond that.

The most likely culprit is the start and run capacitors. They fail a lot. They will have nothing to do with the fan running. From this point testing is pretty much a two person job. Put you clamp on amp meter on line one. Have the gen running or plugged into good reliable shore power.

Make sure it has been 5-10 minutes since you have tried to start the ac or fans and the gen or shore power has been on. Now have your helper turn the AC on. You should see your amp meter spike as the fan starts. 10-13 amps is pretty normal, then it will settle down to about 6-7. About 30 seconds the first compressor should start. It again will spike the amp meter to about 20-21 amps, but within a few seconds settle down to 12-13. If your Amp meter spikes to 40-60 amps then goes right back to 6 that the fan is using. it is likely the start capacitor. Do this first test with the breaker for #2 off. It is possible to jump the compressor to see if it runs by putting 120 straight to it and see if it starts. You don't want to run it long that way, but you can do it to make sure it is not the compressor locked up.

If anything is wrong with the circuits for compressor #1, the control board will not let #2 even try to start. I did help a guy do one and we swapped the 120 power wires from compressor #1 and #2 but that is almost a demonstration. A little too involved to describe. You need to locate which 120 wires power each compressor and switch them. We did that on his that had a bad capacitor and one compressor started. He ran the one until we got a new capacitor and we replaced it. Never even switched the wires back from #1 and #2. The control board doesn't know the difference as both compressors are the same.

The only other simple possibility is that your thermostat has failed and is just not turning the air on. That can be checked by testing the power at the 12v plug on the control board. There is a 9 pin plug that comes from the thermostat and controls fan, fan speed, cooling and heat pump. You need to google the wiring diagram to find which wire does which. I've done it, but I have to pull up a wiring diagram each time I do.

The last possibility is the control board. I had a voltage problem with my 50 amp pedestal a couple years ago. I chased it for quite a while but it ended up with no load on the leg showed 120 v, both legs showed 240v but put even a light load and the voltage dropped to 35v. Took the control board out and one set of capacitors.

Good luck. Google AZ RV guy or something like that. He has some you-tube videos on it. Not very good because he kinda just rips and tears, but he does know what he is doing on them
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:37 PM   #3

All good stuff Amos. Not much to add until the OP returns to verify he has tried to do what you just explained.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:

Regardles of what you've heard, the Coleman-Mach (RVP) basement air conditioner was widely used by several different MH mfgrs. until the EPA exhaust emissions forced the space to be used for the mandated emissions equipment.

Actually searching for "basement air conditioner" using the google search at page top returns many results.https://www.google.com/search?q=base...earch=irv2.com
I suspect the low voltage contacts on the thermostat and the other end of that wiring may be corroded. A pencil eraser will remove tarnish and corrosion.
Since you haven't posted the model #, here is the 6535 service manual. If it isn't your model please tell us.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry for not posting the model No. It is a 6535. I have the manual and Have been doing what I can to check per the great post by Amos. I am waiting for a clamp Ammeter, but have done some preliminary testing and this is what I have found.

1. Breakers bot check ok and are functioning properly.

2. 120 V power is being delivered to circuits 1 and 2 at the unit.

3. I do not have a clamp meter yet, but in watching my load panel in the TV, when the thermostat is set to cooling, the fan starts up. As noted in Amos's post, the amperage initially jumps to 12, and shortly drops to 6. The compressor does not start.

4. Off brand start capacitors were installed by the previous owner. Supco Super Boost #SPD6 They have apparently been working as the AC has worked great for the 2 years we have owned it. Photo attached. I note that one of the Run Capacitors has discoloration on it. Could this be the issue?

4. The green LED on the circuit board blinks rapidly According to the manual this means "If the lights blinking fast, there is either no line voltage to Circuit 1 or one of the thermistors are open" How do I check this as their is voltage to the connectors at the bottom of the unit?

I will be able to do the additional line amperage checks as noted next week. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC unit Capacitors.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	371062  
Old 07-15-2022, 01:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a much better picture of the run capacitor and discoloration. Could this be the issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Run Capactor.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	371068  
Old 07-15-2022, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Here is a much better picture of the run capacitor and discoloration. Could this be the issue?
Yes, that is definitely an issue. It may not be causing all your problems but Run Caps are not supposed to look like that.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:25 PM   #8

The white wire at the top of the photo looks burnt. It might need a new connector put on.
wolfgolden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the input. People on this forum are great.

New Run capacitor on order. Will also replace the burned connector.
Old 07-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
It ain't gonna run with that in it.

If the other one looks good, You can try and swap the wires between the two. Make sure your breaker for line 2 is off. If #1 starts you found your problem.

Since you are getting the code for no voltage on line one the control board isn't getting a signal that voltage is available for line 1

Las winter in Mexico I did that for about a week while I got new capacitors delivered. It was winter there so 1 ac was enough. But one of the first things I did when I got back was order a spare set.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Before you touch any of the capacitor wires make sure you have shorted them out. Use a screwdriver or a jumper lead to touch each terminal to the ground. If charged they will give you one hell of a shock.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:19 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Basement AC not working

Quote:

I have a 2006 Journey with basement AC. Recently, I removed the unit and replaced all capacitors, lube motors and cleaned the unit best I could. It's a 2-man operation to remove it, but not difficult. I learned the complete procedure for removing servicing and replacing here on iRV.com. I will try and find the info and forward it. It will make the whole process easier. Because the wiring is long enough, the unit can be tested while outside the RV, which will make finding the problem(s) easier.
stormincb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:59 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Having trouble with link

Basement A-C Removal Procedure-Revised 8-24-2013
I found the file, but can't seem to get it transmitted to you. I'll keep trying, because the pictures and description are worth having. Be patient.

Quote:

Old 07-19-2022, 09:08 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Found the link

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...zBiZTYxYzU5ZWQ

Quote:

Old 07-20-2022, 04:24 AM   #14

Not wanting to hijack this thread "But" I have the same unit. Has anyone installed soft start capacitor(s) while they are in there? Is it necessary, helpful to make them last longer? if so do you part numbers or links to what i would need?
Sorry to the OP.