Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I know this is a highly talked about subject, but I need some specific advise and couldnt find specific answers while searching previous threads.

We have a 2006 Journey 36" with Goodyear 255/80/22.5 tires. Rig (and tires) have 13,500 miles to date. Tires are in great shape, we keep covers on and keep them maintained - no signs of wear.

Question is, we are going on our first LONG trip this coming week. To date, farthest we have went is 600 miles from home. This time, we are going almost 1200 miles from our home in Florida to NY to spend a few weeks.

What is the best tire pressure to run, based off our rig, tire size, outside temp and weight? We are NOT heavy packers - we travel light, but I do not have access to weigh to coach before leaving. I do make sure weight is disbursed, and again, we travel very light. Just 2 of us and 2 small kids on board.

I believe the sticker inside the coach says 110 front and 95 for the rears. That seems high? I have ran shorter trips at 105 psi front and 90 psi rear (cold) and I guess everything was okay, but it was guesswork and I hate guesswork.

For optimum safety, handling and fuel economy, what are some of you guys and gals runing your tire pressures, with a similar setup to us?

Any help and advise is greatly apprecaited. Might have a few posts during the trip. Again, this will be our first longer trip and we just had our 1 year anniversary of "RV Ownership".

Thank you all my friends...
James
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I know this is a highly talked about subject, but I need some specific advise and couldnt find specific answers while searching previous threads.

We have a 2006 Journey 36" with Goodyear 255/80/22.5 tires. Rig (and tires) have 13,500 miles to date. Tires are in great shape, we keep covers on and keep them maintained - no signs of wear.

Question is, we are going on our first LONG trip this coming week. To date, farthest we have went is 600 miles from home. This time, we are going almost 1200 miles from our home in Florida to NY to spend a few weeks.

What is the best tire pressure to run, based off our rig, tire size, outside temp and weight? We are NOT heavy packers - we travel light, but I do not have access to weigh to coach before leaving. I do make sure weight is disbursed, and again, we travel very light. Just 2 of us and 2 small kids on board.

I believe the sticker inside the coach says 110 front and 95 for the rears. That seems high? I have ran shorter trips at 105 psi front and 90 psi rear (cold) and I guess everything was okay, but it was guesswork and I hate guesswork.

For optimum safety, handling and fuel economy, what are some of you guys and gals runing your tire pressures, with a similar setup to us?

Any help and advise is greatly apprecaited. Might have a few posts during the trip. Again, this will be our first longer trip and we just had our 1 year anniversary of "RV Ownership".

Thank you all my friends...
James
Old 07-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

James,

We basically have the same coach. We had the 4 corners weighed, loaded to travel, and like you, we think we travel light. Based on the weights and the Michellin chart we could have gone down to 90 # all around but that seemed a little too low. We run 100psi in the fronts and 95psi in the rears and it has worked out well for both ride, handling and wear.

Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

What I don't see in your post is what your coach actually weighs when fully loaded. This means all your stuff onboard, fuel tank full, propane tank full and the normal amount of fresh water you carry.

You have to know what each individual wheel on the axel is carrying in weight. The wheel that weighs the heaviest determines what your tire pressure should be set at for that axel.

I know the ability to weigh each corner is not readily available all the time, but you can certainly get each axel weight at most if not all truck stops.

This will put you in the ball park. Based on this weight result per axel, consult your specific brand and model tire chart as to the pressure needed again per axel. Then I would increase the tire pressure to the next higher pressure rating until you can get each corner weight individually.

There is really no way around this, as the weight of each coach can vary considerably based accessories ordered and on what people take with them. It is the total weight of the coach that determines what pressure the tires are to be adjusted to. The weight will almost certainly be different from side to side, hence the need to weigh each corner.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Even though you provide no weights, based on my weights, which are light, we run the same as the other poster with the 07 Meridian. Ours is the same year as yours. Still best to get it weighed and be on the safe side. Have fun on your trip.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

James,

If you haven't had it done it would be a great idea to have your ride height checked, wheels aligned, and get your four corner weights done. You are in Apopka and there is a great facility in Orlando, just off exit 4 on 528. Look up and call Josam, Inc. They are a great shop and it really is not that expensive to get it all done. It's a peace of mind thing. Check with Freightliner (800 FTL-HELP) prior to going in to Josam to verify your ride height settings.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

HI James. Lot's of good advice like always.

Here's a link to the load and inflation table that will help you find the best and safest PSI for you.

Goodyear RV Inflation/load Table

HAVE FUN,
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">there is a great facility in Orlando, just off exit 4 on 528. Look up and call Josam, Inc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with lthrnk . I had my coach at Josam and they are outstanding.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thank you ALL for your posts. This information really helps. I know weighing is important, and I will get it done, if not efore the trip, during the trip. I do remember seeing a cat scale as a gas station (hess?) in Georgia, very easy to get in and out of. That will be the plan IF I cannot get a appt at Josam for either Monday or Tuesday. Otherwise, we will be paying Josam a visit upon our return, that was another question of mine - where is a good "all around" place for tires, alignment and suspension - and now I have the answer.

Talk about pro-active psots. You guys are great!

Will let you know if they can get me in, otherwise, I think I will run at 100 fronts, and 95 rears until I get weighed. Sounds like a safe call for the time being.

Question about alignment. Does Josem know about the 1/32 toe-in alignment proceedure (I think I said that right) or do you have to tell them? I have heard from many that you have to tell them specifically what to do when they align. Our coach seems okay now, we have steer-safe bar, but I do want the alignment checked, especially upon return as I am sure the NY pot-hole roads will make the coach take a beating.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

This might be a silly question, but something I need to know for mny own piece of mind.

While taking care of the air pressures, checking all fluids, pre-trip inspecting everyting, etc. etc, I noticed that our engine (and gen) oils are really black. We just had them both changed about 5 months ago and have only driven about 2,500 miles since and maybe 20 hours of generator use.

Being used to checking car oil (gasoline engine) I know the dip stick is never black unless you are not maintaining your vehicle. It it normal for these diesles to have black oil after such a short time/mileage period?

Silly me didnt check it when we got it back from the dealership from service, and they have did me wrong on other things, so I guess my fear is that they didnt even change the oil?

Thoughts? (And thanks again!!!!!)
Old 07-06-2008, 04:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

James,

As long as the oil and filters were done correctly there should be no problem.

Josam is, in addition to a chassis service center, a designer of laser alignment equipment. The facility in Orlando is also their training facility. Should not be a problem with any specs. on the alignment. They won't let it go until they road test the unit and are happy with it. As I had said before just check with Freightliner and make sure of your ride heights. The ride height should be done prior to anything else.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

flashajt - when you change diesel oil and start the engine to circulate the new oil before checking it for the first time, it will be black the first check. Really unnerving when you're used to seeing nice clean oil for several thousand miles on a gasoline engine. My first oil change, I just thought for some reason all the old oil didn't get out, but after the 4th oil change things still look the same way.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote