Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I've had my rig since the end of June 2008. I've been snowbirding since the first of Nov. Last week the toilet stopped holding water. I had that problem with my 2000 and it was because of crud on the rubber seal.
This is different. Unless I pull the foot pedal up, the cap will not move far enough to seal.
any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I've had my rig since the end of June 2008. I've been snowbirding since the first of Nov. Last week the toilet stopped holding water. I had that problem with my 2000 and it was because of crud on the rubber seal.
This is different. Unless I pull the foot pedal up, the cap will not move far enough to seal.
any ideas?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:17 AM   #3

The same problem happened to ours but I bought some silicone plumbers grease and applied it to the rubber seal and it works great and holds water. Turn off water, open gate and apply the grease to the bottom of the seal and problems solved. Plumbers grease sometimes called faucet grease at Home Depot or Lowes.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finhawk, my 2004 Adventurer ( Sealand toilet) displayed the same symptoms, and no amount of cleaning or lube would fix it, until finally the return spring failed. I replaced the "cartridge" containing the spring, and it works better than new ( much more positive pedal return amd water shut off). Your 08 seems to be too new for a failing spring, but it sure sounds like the same situation...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sealand has had a problem in the past and will send you a new spring kit if you call them, if you have a Sealand. In our old rig, no amount of cleaning would fix the leak. There are some adjustments you can make on the Sealand. There is a clamp behind the cover. Try tightening it up a little and see if it makes a difference. If you have a gasket tool, use it to clean any debris from the gasket. the smallest amount of any foreign object (hair) can cause it to leak. If you don't have a tool you can make one. Using a blow torch and a small, flat blade screwdriver, heat about one inch from the end and then bend it 90 degrees. Sandpaper any rough spots off the tip and flatten it so there are no sharp edges. Gently run it around the gasket. (Easier to buy the tool at a camping supply place)

I now have a Thetford and it is starting to show the signs of a slight leak and the foot pedal has to be nudged gently to seal. I'll let the dealer fix it under warranty. It came with the tool.

Remember to let the pedal snap back after depressing it to allow the ball to fully close.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #6

I had the same problem with my 05 Journey when first purchased. The fix required the dealer to replace the ball mechanism. I took it apart before hand only to find an an adjustment was not provided for nor was there enough play in the screws/bolts to make it close properly.

Dennis
05 Journey 39f