Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #1

TomTom GPS update.

Does anyone have experience in up grading the software and maps in a Tomtom in-dash GPS.
I have a Winnebago Travato, on a Dodge ProMaster chassis. The Tomtom GPS often fails to find a simple adddress. I am planning to update the program but Neither Tomtom or Dodge have any info on how to do it or even how to identify which unit I have.
Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #2

Junk

The first thing I would do is take it and place it under your tire and run over it and send it back to TomTom as it's nothing but junk then go out and buy a Magellan or Garmin and never look back.

Tom @ Rosa
Old 06-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbethurum View Post
The first thing I would do is take it and place it under your tire and run over it and send it back to TomTom as it's nothing but junk then go out and buy a Magellan or Garmin and never look back.

Tom @ Rosa
Ditto on that.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

We've been happy with our TomToms. We have 2 since I already had one when we purchased the new to us Ventana and it came with one.

Yours should eject from the dash by button probably on the top and should have a USB cable to allow you to attach it to a computer. You'll need to know the model number (ours in the coach is an Eclipse) and you will need to download some software from TomTom before you can update the maps. I have found their support to be extremely helpful and will walk you through anything you don't understand. There is a charge for new maps though with some units.

While we do like our TomTom's, I would never depend solely on any navigation system. I consult a paper map & Google map as well when planning a trip and many times while on the road if Tom seems confused. It hasn't happened often but there have been a few times when there has been new construction &/or traffic pattern and Tom doesn't know. Tom updates maps 4x/year and depends a lot on users to alert map makers to changes and then it takes them some time to validate notifications and include them in the next map. I imagine most nav systems do the same.

Good luck with your update!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TomTom support will help you. As noted, you will need to download the proper program to your PC based on the model number that you have. Once loaded and running, then hook up your GPS to the PC using the USB cable. Your PC may say something stupid like a photo card has been inserted. Get past those and to the TomTom program. It should recognize your GPS and, if hooked up to the internet, it will automatically come up with a list of the software that you can choose to upgrade your GPS. Note you may not be able to load all of it as newer software takes more memory than older and not all of the older GPS's have it built in. Some will allow you to add additional memory. Again, the software will tell you.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #6

Here is where I am confused, my Tom Tom gps is integral with the in dash radio, back up camera, trip computer, etc. It is not removable that I can see. I have up dated other hand held units as described above, but not this type.
My next move is to call the local dealer.
Thanks,

Tags
gps