Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2022, 06:55 AM   #1

Tour/Ellipse Livability

We are considering a 2015-17 Tour (Grand) or Ellipse (Ultra) to fulltime in. From those of you that have done it or own one, how is the livability of the coach? The wife has concerns about the lack of storage for such things as clothes and other essentials. Thanks.
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2022, 07:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
We are considering a 2015-17 Tour (Grand) or Ellipse (Ultra) to fulltime in. From those of you that have done it or own one, how is the livability of the coach? The wife has concerns about the lack of storage for such things as clothes and other essentials. Thanks.
We have been full timing for 5 plus years and every year we remove more items from the coach. We started out with more clothes than we could or would ever wear. We try to stay below 80 degrees and above the 50 degree mark. Have fun and enjoy the process!
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the same floor plan as the Tour and my son has a Tour. The grand is actually 2 feet longer. All the slides on the coaches you mentioned are 30 inches deep so living space is excillent. As for storage, all the cabinets and drawers are deep, we have never been able to fill all the space and the GVWR will allow you to carry vertually anything Livability and storage on these coaches is really not an issue. Go look at one with the slides out, you'll be amazied at the room they have, Wife and I can dress in the bedroom, at the same time without getting in each others way. Couldn't do that in our last 2 coaches.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:41 PM   #4

Concerning storage; if you haven't used/wore it in a year, send it to Salvation Army.
I recently unloaded everything from our MH, I found stuff that has never been moved since I put it there in 2013, a few things still in the original package.
Every now and then one must put the RV on a diet. I took a truckload of stuff to Salvation Army a month later.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have an Ellipse (not Ultra) and have lived in it full time for 6 month stretches some winters. While that's not the same as 'forever' full-timing, I can tell you that we never have felt cramped for space or room to move about - and that's with two 55 pound dogs!
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:31 AM   #6

Tour/Ellipse Livability

We full-time in a 2016 Tour 42QD and love it. I was apprehensive about downsizing, but it has been so "freeing". As most on this string have mentioned, you will continue to find items that you never use and will be able to free up more space by donating them to folks who are in more need. Cupboards are quite deep, so be sure to have a step stool if you are going to fill them all the way to the back. There is more space than we need. I admit, I still have more clothes than I actually wear, so it is again time to thin out the closet. Can't imagine ever going back to a brick/mortar home.
Bago Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If I may express myself here as an owner of a Meridian 40U. I have been full time since 2005. This coach is my 3rd. It is far and above the roomiest, most comfortable coach I have ever owned. The basement is larger than that of the QD for this model year. The longer coach is not always a benefit. I have been in situations where even this 40' length would not allow me to enjoy some COE or state park.

There is allot to consider when buying. Room is only one factor as I'm certain you are aware of.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #8

We have a 2015 Itasca Ellipse 42HD and have never felt cramped. Totally liveable and comfortable. It's like a small apartment and more storage than we can fill. In fact, we are now thinking of downsizing to something more manageable as we get older.
The 60 degree wheel cut makes parking this beast very easy. We will miss her.