Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tour vs. Elipse

I've been admiring the two top-of-the-line Winnebagos, are the differences between them strictly cosmetic or are there other differences?
cjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hey CJ. I think your question will spark a lot of spirited discussion. We own the Ellipse but it's a 2007. Since you're talking about the two models being top of the line I assume you're looking at new ones since they were only recently "promoted" to that status.

We love our Ellipse but also drool when walking through the new Tour. Comparisons I've heard in the past include the Buick vs Chevy analogy and comments about Itasca coaches having equipment as standard which is optional on the Winnies... but, I don't really know if there is a definitive answer.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2008 Tour and have compared the Winnebago vs the Itasca and the only differences I see is in the trim. The Itasca is supposed to have an upgraded trim level. The mechanicals, the appliances, the options are all the same. It is like comparing a Crown Vic against a Grand Marquis.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. They are both beautiful coaches!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The 2010 & 11 Tour vs the 2010 Ellipse.... take a look at the dash, IMHO the Ellipse is way better looking. Also the ceiling has some decorative design in the Ellipse. Plus the finishing options are richer looking.

The Ellipse 2010 CD or 11 CD when I can afford the funds will be my next coach.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again for the feedback, I am also impressed with the online documentation that Winnebago makes available to owners. I will keep tapping in to this discussion group - excellent!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You may want to pull a drawer out of each. At one time I was told the cabinetry on the Itasca was joined and on the Winny it was mitered. Don't know if that still holds true for standardization in the assembly process. At that level you are getting down to some pretty fine differences.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

At Redmond, went every day to see the Tour and Ellipse. The Tour is not as glitzy, didn't use high gloss on the wood.
They come down the same assembly line. If you are really interested you may want to go to Forest City where they are made. The Tour has some sorry exterior paint colors. Bland would be too kind.
The salesmen there could not find the coach batteries when I asked where they were located.???
They are the only manufacturer who allow you to watch tv straight on, while sitting on a nice couch.
The only difference is fluff.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
They are the only manufacturer who allow you to watch tv straight on, while sitting on a nice couch.
The only difference is fluff.

Kerry
Funny you should mention this. We were literally on our way to purchase a new HR Endeavor and decided to stop at our local Winnie dealer when we saw they had an Ellipse on the lot. The 40FD floorplan grabbed us for this very reason and we never stepped inside the Endeavor again.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I bought a 2010 tour 40cd and love the bath and half, Was talking to the dealer about the 2 and he said its basicly the same motorhome but the tour is more popular because the winnebago name on it and the Itasca is not as well known, I know i wouldnt trade mine for anything.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hey bad1032:

That IS MY NEXT Coach.... just love that CD floor layout. If you are ever ready to sell, I would be interested..???

Regards.. Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote