Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2018, 12:20 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing info

Hey y'all,

I have a 2014 Via and would like to tow something that does not require a base plate. Does anyone know what vehicles I would be able to use - if any.

Thanks,

Meg Colby
Winnievia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 AM   #2
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe that you're towing capacity is 2,000 pounds with 200 lb on the tongue. I think it's the same as the 2014 trend. You really cannot tow an automobile. You can tow a trailer with a bike.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #3

A Volkswagen tow bar and an old school bug doesn't require a base plate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Yamxer438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #4

you should have around 4,000lb towing capacity*, per the Winn specs for your vehicle, but I don't know of any tow vehicles that don't require a specific base plate installed in order to pull them.... I'm not sure of any vehicle ever made that would be towable without a base plate.... manufacturers don't build vehicles to be 'pulled'.

a tow dolly might be much easier if you already have a front wheel drive vehicle you want to tow... you can easily rent a u-haul tow dolly just to give it a try...

*a 5,000lb hitch rating does not mean you can actually tow that amount, it is simply a stated 'maximum' rating by the hitch manufacturer. To really determine how much you can tow, weigh your RV, fully loaded and with fuel and water and people, then subtract that from the Chassis GVCWR of 15,250lbs. You'll then know the 'true' towing weight your vehicle can handle.(it should be in the 4,000lb neighborhood, roughly speaking)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnievia View Post
Hey y'all,

I have a 2014 Via and would like to tow something that does not require a base plate. Does anyone know what vehicles I would be able to use - if any.
This is somewhat confusing, as the baseplate installed on the car is what the tow bar on your motorhome attaches to. About the only other option for flat towing would be a tow bar bolted to the front bumper of the car ...not really possible except on the very rare car that has a steel front bumper. Only ones I recall seeing in the past several years is an old VW Beetle and an old pickup of some kind. A tow dolly is about the only realistic option with no base plate involved on a "modern" vehicle.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #6

A Chevy Spark would be about the right weight for you to tow easily, but anything modern that you tow with a Via will require a base plate, unless you go with a dolly. That will add extra weight.
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #7

Meg, glad to have you as part of the group. You been given conflicting information as to how heavy [weight] of a toad you can safely tow. Once you've settled that you can try to find a vehicle in that weight class.

The reason for my post is to say, don't be concerned about a base plate. it's the only safe way to attach the tow bar. They are inconspicuous as the unit is behind the body work. Detachable extensions are only there when hooked up. You will also require a unit to depress the toads brake pedal. Between the baseplate. tow bar, brake unit and wiring the brake lights is generally around $3,000. This is all dependent on there being available a vehicle light enough to tow. With these costs in mind for most of us it needs to be our primary vehicle. Many automatic transmission cars cannot be towed "four" down without the addition of an auxiliary transmission pump. You really don't want to go there.

While you purchased a very nice unit the truth is it isn't meant to tow a vehicle. Winnebago WIT club even has a designation for it, "No Tow Baggos". All is not lost, your unit is small enough to unhook and go sightseeing and grocery runs. Enjoy what you have, it's a nice unit.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #8

Well, Meg having finished dinner and looking at the Via spec's after it's loaded with gear, fuel, water and people you may have a 4000# towing capacity. I based my belief on a couple in our WIT club who have one and
he had told me it didn't have the capacity to tow a toad.

The weight of a dolly is part of the total sum. Utilizing a Dolly you wouldn't need the tow bar, base plate or brake unit. Good luck, I'll sit on the side and see how badly I'm flamed.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #9

Jeep Wrangler

Look for an earlier model Jeep Wrangler. Either a YJ or TJ should work. They have the flat steel bumper on the front. You just drill four holes and mount two U-Shaped plates. From that you can hook up your tow bar.

Harbor Freight Tow Bar

Look at picture of vehicle - it is a Jeep Wrangler (YJ - square headlights).

ETA - for braking, get the NSA Ready Brake. Under $425, that is your braking for your vehicle. Next you will need a "breakaway" kit $95, and finally, some lights $20.

So, under $700 and you're ready to go. The Jeep YJ (87-95*) and TJ (97-06) are under 4K pounds. Don't let these folks discourage you. It can be done, and no, you won't spend $3,000 to be able to tow.

* there are anecdotal reports of 96 Jeep Wranglers out there - a hodgepodge of 95 and 97 features! Collectors Items if you find any!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #10

+ 1 on the Jeep Wrangler. We towed one for a while and I'm sorry but can't remember the place I ordered the tow brackets but they used existing holes on the bumper. It was from an off road shop online. That was an 06 Wrangler sport, pretty light for a Jeep. Tow bar was a Roadmaster, hooked right to those brackets. The key is that vehicle had a steel chassis frame and the steel bumper was rigid attached securely so it was a safe tow.
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing