Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #1

Towing with my 2002 Winnebago Sightseer

I own a 2002 Winnebago Sightseer. I have never towed a vehicle before. I purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon to tow behind my Sightseer. Is their a way to determine if I can safely tow this Jeep Wrangler with my 2002 Sightseer? The Jeep Wrangler weighs 5000 lbs.
chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
I own a 2002 Winnebago Sightseer. I have never towed a vehicle before. I purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon to tow behind my Sightseer. Is their a way to determine if I can safely tow this Jeep Wrangler with my 2002 Sightseer? The Jeep Wrangler weighs 5000 lbs.
well, honestly, it would've been better to ask the question before buying the toad but this is the advise i usually give when asked.

before you buy a toad you need to know what your mh weighs as it is loaded for a trip. that includes full fuel, fresh water and lp tanks, food, clothing, supplies, pets and people. get separate axle weights to make sure that neither axle is is overloaded. then apply the three tests above. for every pound your mh exceeds its gvwr you lose a pound of available tow weight.

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

1) the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel. actual or rolling weight is determined by loading the MH as you would for a trip. fill the fuel, fresh water and LP tanks. add clothes, food, supplies, etc. don't forget people. find a scale and get individual axle weights at a minimum. compare the actual axle weight to the axle weight rating (GAWR) for that axle. each axle will have a different weight rating. for every pound your mh exceeds its gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) you lose a pound of available tow weight. don't guess or assume...know.

OR

2). the weight rating of your hitch. the amount of weight your hitch is engineered to carry should be in your owner's manual.

OR
3) the weight rating of your tow bar. check the specs of your tow bar if you already have one. if not i'd look for one that is capable of towing 8000-10,000 lbs.

once you determine how much weight you can safely tow then you can start shopping for a toad. since you’re talking about a wrangler (great choice, btw) all you need to do is ensure that be model CAN be flat towed (not all can) and know what the curb weight including whatever options you may order. if buying used or off the lot make determining the gross weight of the car (including fuel at 6-lbs oer gallon)
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:46 PM   #3

Ours is a 2003 Sunova, same specs as the Sightseer. The hitch itself is rated to tow 5000 lbs but is limited to a tongue weight of 350 lbs. Not a problem for a Jeep towed on all fours. You probably need to check to make sure but I'd guess that the specs are the same for a 2002 model.

Imo, that Jeep by itself is cutting it too close. You'd be exceeding the hitch's rating if you ever threw anything extra into the Jeep..

Even with the 5000 lb hitch rating, you also need to make sure not to exceed the gross combined weight rating of the motorhome. For example, a motorhome with a gcwr of 21,000 lbs that weighs in at 18,000 lbs by itself would only give you 3,000 lbs left for towing. You'd need to check the weight specifications (probably in one of the closets) and hit the scales to be sure.

Here's the manual that came with the 2002 Sightseer.

2002 Sightseer
Old 08-03-2021, 07:05 AM   #4

I don't think it is a good idea and agree with what has already been posted. Don't forget that the weight specified by the manufacturer is for the vehicle with absolutely nothing else in it, and most people have other stuff in their car. Secondly, it's just too close to the maximum weight rating. You need to consider suitable tow vehicles 4K and under. But...getting your loaded RV weighed and working the numbers is the best way to proceed.

As a side note, our Chevy Malibu is rated at about 3,400 lbs. It tows fine, BUT it tows a bit low to the ground because Blue Ox requires that the tow bar be within 3" of level, which means I use an 8" drop bar on my MH hitch. If I were to replace it, I'd be seeing what my options are for a vehicle that has a bit more clearance.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #5

Also remember most if not all states require supplemental braking and lights on your toad. We have a 2 door JK with brake buddy and mopar harness. We tow it and its jut below the 5K with fuel and gear. I think your going to be over.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sightseer, tow, towing, winnebago