Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #1

Trail Bike Rack for Navion 24J?

Right now we have a single bike rack on our 2016 Itasca Navion 24J, and are thinking of switching to something to carry a Honda 90 trail bike plus a bicycle.

Total hitch weight would only be about 200 lbs...maybe a little more, but it would obviously stick out more and needs to be sturdy.

Anyone done this? Any advice?
I'd love it if there was just some sort of rack we could buy and plug in.

Thanks,
rScotty
rScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #2

You are going to be at least 300 lbs with rack so check the specs on your hitch...wet weight of a trail 90 is 263 plus the carrier and the bike, probably pushing 340
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rScotty View Post
Right now we have a single bike rack on our 2016 Itasca Navion 24J, and are thinking of switching to something to carry a Honda 90 trail bike plus a bicycle.

Total hitch weight would only be about 200 lbs...maybe a little more, but it would obviously stick out more and needs to be sturdy.

Anyone done this? Any advice?
I'd love it if there was just some sort of rack we could buy and plug in.

Thanks,
rScotty
rScotty,
Look at Versahaul. I have one that's rated at 500 lbs. and, it also has a receiver on it for towing. I don't know if you need that kind of accessory but, it's there on some of their models. There are other carriers but, I've used this Versahaul unit for years and it's been great. It's steel and weighs oh, maybe 80 or so lbs. I haul two different bikes on it. The lighter one is a Yamaha TW200 (right close to 278 lbs.) and the second bike is a Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT which, tips the scales at about 540 lbs. For the Honda A/T, I beefed up that rack system but, for what you're looking for, the Versahaul will work great.
Scott

Wheel-Free Carriers | Motorcycle | ATV | Scooter | Wheelchairs and Power Chairs | Accessories | Versahaul
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:07 AM   #4

Neub, thanks for those opinions on the trail bike weights. Like you, I noticed that the new Honda trail bikes are substantialy heavier than the older ones. Well, that's fine since I want an older one anyway. Not price, but because I like them better Might even go with a Cub 50. If anyone has a nice one, PM me.

Scott, that Versahaul looks more like the direction I want to go. One that fits a small Honda and a pedal bicycle could even be smaller - stick out less - than they show on their web site.
After all, adding a pedal bicycle to anything that carries even a small motor bike hould be easy. Pedal bikes weigh nothing. We Could probably strap it to the handlebar and footpegs of a little Honda

One limit is my own aging body's ability to lift something ont a rear rack. How in the world do you get a 500 lb+ Africa Twin up on yours?
rScotty
rScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rScotty View Post
Neub, thanks for those opinions on the trail bike weights. Like you, I noticed that the new Honda trail bikes are substantialy heavier than the older ones. Well, that's fine since I want an older one anyway. Not price, but because I like them better Might even go with a Cub 50. If anyone has a nice one, PM me.

Scott, that Versahaul looks more like the direction I want to go. One that fits a small Honda and a pedal bicycle could even be smaller - stick out less - than they show on their web site.
After all, adding a pedal bicycle to anything that carries even a small motor bike hould be easy. Pedal bikes weigh nothing. We Could probably strap it to the handlebar and footpegs of a little Honda

One limit is my own aging body's ability to lift something ont a rear rack. How in the world do you get a 500 lb+ Africa Twin up on yours?
rScotty
rScotty,
First, a couple points here. I'm one of those that thinks outside the box. Yes, the model of Versahaul I have is a 500 lb. limit version. But, as stated earlier, that is in a stock form. I added two more receivers to the frame of our coach. And I ran runners from those receivers, out to the underside of the Versahaul. They are then bolted (not welded) to the Versahaul. Those runners are 2" x 2" x 28" x 3/16" tubes. The Versahaul was mounted and bolted into place, before the additional tubes, (one per side) were added.

Once the Versahaul was fastened into position and tightened down with my own hitch tighteners, then I custom bent the runners from the other receivers so they would just touch the bottom side of the Versahaul. This way, each of the support sections, right, middle and left, would all be carrying the same exact amount of weight. Now, that's a complete system.

Now, with the added runners and support, the Versahaul is now capable of easily exceeding its original weight limit capacity. Loading a 278 lb. Yamaha TW 200 by running up the ramp is pretty much childs play. It's just not that difficult and or unstable.

But, loading a 540 lb. Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT, is a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY! That bike is fitted with the "DCT" or, Dual Clutch Transmission. It's a 1000 cc, FULLY AUTOMATIC MOTORCYCLE. Yep, NO CLUTCH. I knew that loading and un loading it would not only be dangerous but, also quite cumbersome. And having that much weight, that high off the ground, while loading and unloading, could get out of hand, rather quickly and that, could cause bodily harm, also rather quickly.

So, what I did was this. For loading and unloading that A/T, I add two more tubes to the ends of the existing runners. Those tubes, support a Harbor Freight 9" x 72" corragated ramp, that I use for temporary *Scaffolding*. I also have another 9" x 72" ramp, that I use to WALK UP along side the A/T when I'm loading and un loading it.

When it comes time to load the A/T, I line the bike up, just in front of the lower part of the ramp. I then start it. Since the bike is fully automatic, I push the "D" button that puts the bike in DRIVE so-to-speak. All I have to do from that point on is, nudge the throttle just slightly. As the bike powers itself right up the ramp, I walk along side of it, keeping it stable. Once the bike has both tires on the tray, it then hits a wheel chock with the front tire. That's the stopping point.

At that point, the wife then attaches two tie downs, one for right and one for left, both in the front. That stabilizes the bike and I shut it down. I then apply two more tie downs at the rear, DONE. At that point, I remove the temp scaffolding and additional tubes and store them in a compartment. Then, I un-fold the Tow bar and hook up the Jeep and, we're off to have fun.

When it comes time to unload the A/T, it's all done in reverse. Yes, the A/T is a heavy bike, no doubt about it. But, the way I have things set up is about the best way I can come up with, that is supportive enough and strong enough, to be able to haul that heavy bike AND tow our Jeep. The scaffolding idea was an afterthought that has turned out to be a VERY IMPORTANT part of loading and unloading the A/T. It's not needed for the TW 200.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3749.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	337870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3750.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	337871  

Click image for larger version