Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2006, 07:54 AM   #1

Sorry for the long story, but if someone can help it would be appreciated. Several months ago I purchased a 2002 36' Journey DL with 27,000 miles and a 330 Cat. This was after two other diesels with Cummins engines so the Cat is a little new to me. I had the dealer replace all the batteries and after reading of the problems with the chassis batteries going dead in storage, I had them install a cut off switch and a Trick-L Start.

After getting the coach back home I noticed that the coach batteries did not seem to be taking a charge. After checking the batteries it was determined that the wire to the coach batteries had been cut by the slide out tray and that the dealer had wired the battery banks in reverse. I fixed the cut wire first but the reverse polarity light did not come on the Trick-L-Start. I then reversed the wires and it seemed to start to work.

The question (finally) I have, is why the green maintain light is staying on the Trick-L-Start after everything is shut down, cut off switches off and the coach in a building, so no solar. I have E-mailed, called several time and left messages at the offices of the makers of Trick-L-Start with no response, which has been very disappointing. I then had a hard starting problem. Not sure if there is a relation to all this do to cutting the power, the Trick-L-Start being installed wrong or if the Trick-L-Start has been damaged due to it being wired wrong or just what. I am ready to pull out the Trick-L-Start and stomp on it. Any thoughts?? Thanks and have a good Holiday.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2006, 09:39 AM   #2

Quote:
why the green maintain light is staying on the Trick-L-Start after everything is shut down
John,

The Trick-L-Start seems to be doing it's job. When the chassis battery has reached a charged state it will go into maintain mode where as the name of the light indicated it maintains that charge, as batteries always have internal leakage, which draws the battery down again, even without any load on the batteries. The Trick-L-Start gets it power from the house batteries and only charges the chassis batteries when the they have approached a fully charged state and in reverse will stop charging the chassis batteries when the house batteries are no longer near a fully charged state.
In order for the trick-L-Start to work the house batteries need to be charging via the inverter converter, otherwise the voltage level of the house batteries will not be high enough foe the Trick-L-Start to do it's job.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #3

John
The Trik-L-Start is connected from the house batteries to the chassis batteries and will only charge the chassis batteries when the house batteries are being charged from the alternator or shore power via the inverter/charger.I installed mine aprox. a year and a half ago and no more problems with dead chassis batteries.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote