Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2005, 05:01 AM   #1

We had a rather strange experience on our way back from Florida a couple weeks ago in our 2001 Adventurer 32V. We were traveling through Georgia in the pouring rain. Every time I stepped on the brake I could hear a strange sound, sort of like a CB radio in the background. When we were pulling into a campground by Atlanta I realized the sound was coming from the rear camera speaker. It seems that every time I stepped on the brake the speaker was energized and you could hear whatever was going on behind the coach.

We had a similar thing happen once a couple years ago when we were towing our Buick on the dolly. Again it was when we were driving through heavy rain for extended periods. That time the rear camera and speaker would come on whenever I hit the brakes. The problem went away when I disconnected the trailer wiring harness and dried out the plug. I assumed there was some feedback from the dolly lighting & brake systems.

This time we weren't towing anything so although the circumstances were similar they weren't identical. I still believe the problem has something to do with the trailer hitch wiring harness but it's only happened twice under adverse drivng conditions so it's tough to diagnose.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so what was the resolution?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2005, 05:01 AM   #2

We had a rather strange experience on our way back from Florida a couple weeks ago in our 2001 Adventurer 32V. We were traveling through Georgia in the pouring rain. Every time I stepped on the brake I could hear a strange sound, sort of like a CB radio in the background. When we were pulling into a campground by Atlanta I realized the sound was coming from the rear camera speaker. It seems that every time I stepped on the brake the speaker was energized and you could hear whatever was going on behind the coach.

We had a similar thing happen once a couple years ago when we were towing our Buick on the dolly. Again it was when we were driving through heavy rain for extended periods. That time the rear camera and speaker would come on whenever I hit the brakes. The problem went away when I disconnected the trailer wiring harness and dried out the plug. I assumed there was some feedback from the dolly lighting & brake systems.

This time we weren't towing anything so although the circumstances were similar they weren't identical. I still believe the problem has something to do with the trailer hitch wiring harness but it's only happened twice under adverse drivng conditions so it's tough to diagnose.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so what was the resolution?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 06:27 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Hearing the rear camera speaker in mine normally means the g-kids have been turning knobs

The camera normally is set up to automatically come on when you shift the transmission into reverse, so if it is happening at other times I would look for a short in the wiring. I imagine water in the connections could do that ...might want to see if your can make the wiring/connections more watertight.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote