Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #1

Truck Suggestions PLEASE - What's your favorite

Howdy to everyone...Happy Holidays.

This is my moms first experience with a trailer and a truck.

We need a truck ASAP.
We just purchased a Winnebago Minnie 2451BHS last week.
We can't WAIT to start taking her out but want to make sure we have the best truck possible for our Winnie to keep us safe and everyone else around us safe.

I have read & read until I'm blue in the face with all the definitions & numbers.

We want to hear from REAL people with real trailers with our size trailer. Thoughts suggestions comments.

26.75 FT long & 8ft wide.
Dry weight 4880
Payload capacity 2120
GVWR 7630
Hitch weight 630

My mom is leaning to a GMC Sierra and Toyota Tundra.

Thank you guys in advance for any support.
rdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #2

I have a sneaking suspicion that most folks are going to recommend the truck that they drive, so I will recommend the truck that I drive. A 2007 GMC 2400 4 x 4 with the Duramax diesel engine.

This is the second Duramax truck that I've owned and both have given me good service. What I'm driving now has spent a lot of its life pulling trailers and at the moment is pulling a 13,000 pound fully loaded, Arctic Fox 27 – 5L fifth wheel that I live in full- time.

I think the Duramax is a great engine and has given me very few problems in its 180,000 miles. On the other hand Toyota trucks are known worldwide to be bulletproof, and in some countries that means literally. So I don't think you could go wrong with either one. When in doubt go with the truck that's overbuilt for what you're towing, not one thats just enough.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, as has been said already. you are going to get biased opinions, so I'll try to not to.
I recommend she gets at a minimum a 3/4 ton with a diesel engine. I will not justify any particular brand, because that is up to her. My reasoning behind this is because they are set up for towing. Heavy duty brakes, heavy duty cooling, heavy duty transmissions, LT (light truck) tires, normally 8-10 ply.
The 1/2 tons may say they can pull 8-13klbs and yes they can, however they cannot do it safely and reliably. I can tow 100k but I can't stop it any time soon and most definitely not safely.
I have also learned the hard way, its better to get the big truck, because you will most likely upgrade the trailer sooner than you think and when you do you will have to upgrade the truck to pull what you want.
Also take into account, for every person that rides in the truck, takes away from the GCVRW, ie the size of the trailer you want to pull. The numbers they give you are for 1, 150lb person and no gear, trailer hitch or the other 3 people that weigh 200lbs each. Basically she will be much happier in the end with power needed to crest hills and get onto the freeway feeling safe. Also knowing she has the power to bring it to a stop without the White Knuckle experience.
So go big, and if she doesn't, at least warn others that she is on the highway driving dangerously so we can get off and get out harms way.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:25 AM   #4

I have the 2401RG, which is about the same weight and a foot longer. I tow it with a RAM 2500 with a Cummins 6.7l Diesel. I know some folks would tow your trailer with a compact truck, but I think it's solidly in the 1/2 ton plus category. Properly set up with a V8, tow package and sway control, the Tundra or Sierra should be fine. She might be a little limited on payload, depending on how many people and how much gear is in the truck. Of course bigger is better. With a 3/4 ton, I barely feel the Winnie.
Socal Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:02 AM   #5

This online towing calculator will remove all the brand bravado and opinions from your decision to properly and safely match at towing truck to your travel trailer.
You will note some blocks require actual weights, others advertised figures.
BTW, NEVER use the unloaded weight of the trailer unless you plan to tow and travel that way, as it's unrealistic.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
My favorite truck?

My very first vehicle, a 1928 Ford Model A Roaster Pickup. Was owned by my grandfather for many years.

Not sure it would make a good tow vehicle

Good luck with your search.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #7

The best designed full size half ton pickups are the one from Ram. They also make it easy to add a electronic locking rear differential and a 33-gallon gas tank and tow packages that include tow mirrors. Tundra's have the best record for reliability and come standard with a 38 gallon gas tank but do not have an electronic locking or even standard limited slip differentials and instead have traction control like what is found on a 2WD SUV.

A big problem with the Chevy/GM 1500 pickups is that they only come with a small 24 gallon capacity fuel tank. Due to federal emissions regulations one cannot replace the fuel tank with a gas powered truck so you are stuck with what the manufacturer provides. When towing the weight and the air drag can easily reduce fuel economy by 25 percent and so you will be making a lot more fuel stops to compensate for the smaller fuel tank.

Newer trucks also have new trailer towing options including camera for lane change assist that include coverage for the trailer behind the truck. They also can include a second rear camera that makes hooking up the trailer a lot easier for one person.

Don't overlook the gears as the truck manufacturers are providing high 3.21 gears which are not great for towing. Look for 3.92 or 4.10 gears.

Be aware that there are "Ford guys" and Chevy guys" and "Ram guys" who will only buy a particular truck regardless of what is available from anyone. I have owned trucks made by Willys, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and Toyota, and prior to the Trump recession I planned to buy a new 2021 Ram 1500 pickup after looking at all the options.

Toyota is going to have a completely new truck for 2022 which will be their first real update of the Tundra since 2007. They may have a hybrid option and a V-6 engine option but no one knows at this point in time.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote